Windows 10: Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not?

Discus and support Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. The taskbar is acting as if the Shift key is pressed (it's not) because when I right-click windows in it, the wrong pop up appears. The one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Unknow0059, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not?

Hello. The taskbar is acting as if the Shift key is pressed (it's not) because when I right-click windows in it, the wrong pop up appears.
    The one that appears is the one that would show up if you press Shift + Right Click.
    "Sticky Keys" is not on.
    The same doesn't happen within File Explorer and other programs.

How can I fix this? Last time I fixed it by launching the On-screen Keyboard, but that's no longer working.
    The following did not work:
    • Restarting explorer.exe;
    • Unlocking the taskbar;
    "FIX !!!! Windows 10 taskbar not working FIX!!!! Build 10074";
    • Signing out, using On-screen Keyboard to type the password and log in, then retrying the above link;
    • Using sfc /scannow and restarting.

Windows 10 Pro 1909 10.0.18363.778 64-bit

:)

Unknow0059, Apr 17, 2020
  2. LTUGamer Win User

Both shift keys

Hello.
    I have problem with Lenovo Idea Pad 100 laptop (OS: WIN10). After replacing HDD into SSD I faced a strange problem. Both Shifts of the keyboard doesn‘t work .
    I have tried to:
    • Check if sticky keys are off. They are off.
    • Connect external keyboard via USB port. Shift keys on external keyboard works good.
    • Check the keyboard on online tester which indicates pressed buttons. It can‘t indicate press of the shift
    • Change several different input languages. The problem is on all of them.
    • Reinstall keyboard driver
    • Check if connection is OK. It is OK.
    • Tried to run computer without screws (I have read in one forum that screws could touch the keyboard from the bottom and it wouldn‘t operate normal)
    I believe that keyboard is not damaged because connector damage could cause just exact part of keyboard failure, while it is impossible to do physical damage for both shifts. Any solutions?

LTUGamer, Apr 17, 2020
  3. MiSt77 Win User
    Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

Actually, I get asked this quite a lot

There is, however, a very good reason to prefer this (old) „Typewriter Caps lock“-behavior over the new default, and it's simply this: if „Press the SHIFT key“ (instead of „Press the CAPS LOCK key“) is selected, then the behavior of „Caps lock“ changes from being a „toggle key“ to being a key that can only be used to turn „Caps lock“ on – to turn „Caps lock“ off, one has to press (either) one of the Shift keys.

This can be advantageous for touch typists, who are used to writing long passages of text without looking at the keyboard, and especially so if they're (C/C++) programmers, who may still regularly find themselves typing in variable names of CONSTANTS_IN_UPPERCASE.

That's because, if Caps lock is not a toggle key, it's not necessary to keep track of its current „toggle state“ in your head:

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be on, I can press CAPS as often as I like. If it happened to be enabled already, nothing changes; otherwise, I can be sure it's enabled afterwards.

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be off, I can simply press SHIFT
    This sounds like a hypothetical advantage, but it's not. I work as a programmer, and I often find myself typing in code like the following:

/* Some debugging code; will only be included in debug builds: */
    #if defined _DEBUG

Afterwards, I may pause a little, to think about the code line I would like to type in next. Now, if „Caps lock“ is a toggle key, I may (once I decide to continue) be unsure if I actually remembered to turn „Caps lock“ off at the end of ‘_DEBUG’.

Did I? Did I not? – The only way to be sure, is to look.

This is not so, if the „Press the SHIFT key“ behavior is enabled. If unsure, I can just press SHIFT once, be sure of the set state, and merrily continue may way.

That, for me, is the single most important reason to prefer the „Press the SHIFT key“ setting. Also, interestingly, this used to be the default behavior in the old days … at least, until Microsoft decided to ditch Windows 9x in favor of Windows NT¹.

¹ Actually, my memory could be wrong in this regard and I'm not completely sure … maybe someone more knowledgeable in those matters can confirm that the „Caps lock“ default behavior was indeed changed during the switch from Windows 9x to Windows XP?

MiSt77, Apr 17, 2020
  4. Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not?

shift key acting like it's stuck, ctrl and num keys don't work

Hi janieneh,

There's a possibility that the keyboard issue that you're experiencing may be due to having an outdated driver or could be a software conflict. However, there's also a chance that sticky keys may have been enabled on your laptop. Before we try to troubleshoot
    the software side, please try the following workarounds and see if one on the list addresses the problem:

• Turning off Sticky Keys.
      • If this feature is turned on, then have it turned off. Just navigate to
        Settings > Ease of access > Keyboard > Sticky Keys
        , then toggle it
        Off
    • Holding down both Shift keys.
      • Press and hold down both Shift keys at the same time for 4 to 5 seconds.
    • Perform full shutdown
      • To perform a full shutdown, click the Windows key > Power Icon > Shutdown. Once computer is off, press the power button to boot it up.
    Please let me know if the issue persists after performing the steps above by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not?

1. Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not? - Similar Threads - Taskbar acts Shift

2. shift key is not staying activated when pressed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shift key is not staying activated when pressed: Hi, I have a little problem with my shift key. It works mostly, however when i am pressing the key for a longer time more than half a second to write multiple letters the function stops working after a very short time.Example:HHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhWhile writing this i kept my...
  3. shift key is not staying activated when pressed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shift key is not staying activated when pressed: Hi, I have a little problem with my shift key. It works mostly, however when i am pressing the key for a longer time more than half a second to write multiple letters the function stops working after a very short time.Example:HHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhWhile writing this i kept my...
  4. Shift key acting up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key acting up: HI,My shift key is acting up. IT performs as if the sticky keys are on, but they are not. WHEn I press the shift key it remains on for several letters instead of only one although it is not pressed anymore. IF YOU see my typos here, you will understand what happens. If I MAKE...
  5. Shift key acting up

Shift key acting up: HI,My shift key is acting up. IT performs as if the sticky keys are on, but they are not. WHEn I press the shift key it remains on for several letters instead of only one although it is not pressed anymore. IF YOU see my typos here, you will understand what happens. If I MAKE...
  6. Shift key acting up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key acting up: When i press my right shift key it adds a space like just pressing it and the left one adds a - and sometimes my keyboard randomly capitalise a letter without me pressing shift....
  7. Shift key acting up

Shift key acting up: When i press my right shift key it adds a space like just pressing it and the left one adds a - and sometimes my keyboard randomly capitalise a letter without me pressing shift....
  8. Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??: I'm using surface pro 5th generation with Windows 10. Recently, it is acting as if Ctrl key is pressed while it is not. Please assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-key-acting-as-if-it-is-pressed/c0665232-f51b-421d-9e22-71bc6dcc5535
  9. Computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when it is not

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when it is not: Hey guys, I've been experiencing an issue with my pc Windows 10 recently where my computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when in fact it is not. For example, typing "w" in a web browser executes the CTRL + w command, and so forth. Viewing the onscreen keyboard...
  10. Windows acting as if I have shift key pressed.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows acting as if I have shift key pressed.: So when I turn on my laptop windows has been acting as if the shift key is depressed (selecting all files, opening links in new windows, ect). A simple log out and back in fixes this, but I would like to not have to turn on my laptop, log in and then back out, before loging...