Windows 10: Taskbar and built-in apps not responding

Discus and support Taskbar and built-in apps not responding in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Whenever I try to click on the windows button, or open settings panel, or search panel, or Systems panel, my mouse cursor will spin for about half a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Zhaoxuan Li, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Taskbar and built-in apps not responding

Whenever I try to click on the windows button, or open settings panel, or search panel, or Systems panel, my mouse cursor will spin for about half a second, and nothing will happen.

Events show that an error will be thrown by Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.dll, with detailed event log as follows:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"><System><Provider Name="Application Error" /><EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID><Version>0</Version><Level>2</Level><Task>100</Task><Opcode>0</Opcode><Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords><TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-09-01T17:35:34.7974751Z" /><EventRecordID>17981</EventRecordID><Correlation /><Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" /><Channel>Application</Channel><Computer>James</Computer><Security /></System><EventData><Data>SystemSettings.exe</Data><Data>10.0.19041.423</Data><Data>ba750a3f</Data><Data>Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.dll</Data><Data>10.0.19041.1</Data><Data>7d4dac2e</Data><Data>c000001d</Data><Data>0000000000029683</Data><Data>4c08</Data><Data>01d680864be9a186</Data><Data>C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe</Data><Data>C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.dll</Data><Data>aac80621-4a2b-45f9-94d9-efa5c257c4ff</Data><Data>windows.immersivecontrolpanel_10.0.2.1000_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy</Data><Data>microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel</Data></EventData></Event>

Other apps I mentioned about all throw the same Application Error with event ID 1000 Task 100, like

C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_cw5n1h2txyewy\InputApp\TextInputHost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.2005.23.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Calculator.exe

C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe

and they all points to Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.dllwith version 10.0.19041.1, with error code0xc000001d and offset 0x0000000000029683, the same as the detailed XML.

I have checked my hard drive and ran through memtest, all appeared to be normal. My windows version is build 19041.

I am facing lots of difficulty trying to use my PC under such circumstances, and I couldn't even restore windows since I cannot open settings panel. Of course I do not want to restore or reinstall my OS unless I have no other choice, because I will need to reconfigure so many different things and show down my work progress.

Please help me fix the Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.dll problem.

:)

Zhaoxuan Li, Sep 1, 2020
  2. Arul_D Win User

"Built-in administrator" still denied access to many apps and functions

Hi Andy,

• What is the exact error message you are getting when you try to open apps?
    I understand your concern about accessing the operating system. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, I realize this may be frustrating. We are here to help you in resolving the issue.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted system settings/ system files. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if Built-in Administrator account is enabled. If so, try to disable.

Step 1: Follow the steps toDisable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
        Command Prompt
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
      • net user administrator /active: no (Check for the spaces)
    Restart the computer and check with the status of this issue.

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to refer to the below thread replied by
    Marilyn O on November 22, 2012 as this suggestion has helped many others and check if it helps you as well.

App can't open with built in administrator account

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Arul_D, Sep 1, 2020
  3. Kopo942 Win User
    Taskbar, Start menu and built-in apps randomly stop working & desktop and taskbar crash when explorer.exe is restarted

I've had this problem for a while now (I guess it's been there since upgrading from W8 to W10?). My W10's taskbar (-> start menu) and built-in apps stop working until a restart is performed. The taskbar icons "semi-freeze", meaning that the icons interact
    to hover events AND left-clicking, but don't respond to right-clicking.

The start menu button, search button and task view button (don't know if that's the real name) also react to hover events, but don't actually do anything when left- or right-clicked. 3rd party tray icons work fine, but again, Windows's own icons only respond
    to hover events, network menu, volume menu, notification menu and calendar don't open or do anything when clicked. Also, W10's built-in apps are not working when the taskbar is frozen. This doesn't apply to the normal .EXE apps (calc, cmd etc.), only to the
    ones which use W10's "new UI".

Also, when trying to open Display settings or the Personalisation menu from desktop (right-clicking desktop), Windows throws a random error on the screen.

The troubleshooting steps I have tried and which did not work:

• rebooting (which temporarily solves the problem)
    • disabling AV software (Avast! Premiere)
    • reinstalling W10 app packages (Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}ANDGet-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation
      -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
      ). When using the first command while the taskbar is frozen, the powershell progress bar freezes ("processing"), or just says "initializing"
      and doesn't actually do anything.
    • Repairing the component store (dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth) and running Windows Resource Checker (sfc /scannow)
    • Doing an In-Place upgrade to repair corrupted files
    • Restarting desktop (explorer.exe) via task manager, this causes the desktop background to disappear, taskbar to show only the default icons (start menu, search, taskview and store) and show the "busy" icon as the mouse pointer when hovered over, and causing
      desktop icons to disappear. The only way to recover from this is (atleast for me since i've bound the power button to shut down the pc) to shutdown (NOT hard shutdown) the PC via the power button.
    I've also been trying to dig Event logs for errors which might relate to this problem, but haven't found any.

All help is appreciated!

Kopo942, Sep 1, 2020
  4. Taskbar and built-in apps not responding

PEOPLE app is disappeared from the Taskbar and how to get it back on the Taskbar?

Hi Dale,

Thank you for being part of the Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to Repin the People app to the Taskbar and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Type People in the search bar.
    • Right click on the People and select Pin to Taskbar option.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

Taskbar and built-in apps not responding

1. Taskbar and built-in apps not responding - Similar Threads - Taskbar built apps

2. Taskbar not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar not responding: Today, I launched my computer as usual but the taskbar was missing all my pinned programs. When I tried interacting, my cursor would turn into a loading wheel, a black screen would appear for a few seconds and then it would show the taskbar again, sometimes with the programs....
  3. Taskbar not responding

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar not responding: I tried to click an app at the task bar and nothing happened. I also tried to remove any of them and it doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-not-responding/562934e2-6aa6-4143-8505-804286707a00
  4. Taskbar not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar not responding: My computer's taskbar keeps reloading over and over again. Every time it reloads, it doesn't fix the issue. I've already restarted my computer but it doesn't help either. Is there any other ways to fix this error?...
  5. Taskbar not responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar not responding: My computer's taskbar keeps reloading over and over again. Every time it reloads, it doesn't fix the issue. I've already restarted my computer but it doesn't help either. Is there any other ways to fix this error?...
  6. Apps not responding and working at my taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps not responding and working at my taskbar: Hi,I always manage to use my taskbar to access all apps that I need for everyday. However at this time, my apps are not working on the task bar, I tried all of them and nothing works. Help please....
  7. Apps not responding and working at my taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps not responding and working at my taskbar: Hi,I always manage to use my taskbar to access all apps that I need for everyday. However at this time, my apps are not working on the task bar, I tried all of them and nothing works. Help please....
  8. Apps not responding and working at my taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Taskbar not responding?

Taskbar not responding?: I have recently been having an issue on Windows 10 where my task bar will not respond. When I click it multiple times, the entire screen goes black for a split second and the computer acts like I just turned it on. There are no icons on the taskbar, unless I wait a long time...
  10. Taskbar not responding

Taskbar not responding: When I boot up my pc, the taskbar is not responding. My cursor goes into a loading state and I can't open any apps that are supposed to be in the taskbarthey are not showed.I've tried ctrl+shift+esc to restart windows explorer, and I still have the same problem and many...