Windows 10: Taskbar and Explorer search bars do not work

Discus and support Taskbar and Explorer search bars do not work in Cortana to solve the problem; The search bar on my taskbar and the search bar in explorer do not work, clicking on them does nothing. Also the windows start button and all of the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by burnoutmaster98, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Taskbar and Explorer search bars do not work

The search bar on my taskbar and the search bar in explorer do not work, clicking on them does nothing. Also the windows start button and all of the icons on the start menu work perfectly fine it's literally just the search bar that does not work.

I've looked through some of the other problems people had on here with search bar related issues but none of them seem to apply to me.

I'm on Windows 1909, build 18363.959, and have all the most recent updates installed.

This has been an issue on my computer for a month or so now and I'm sick of it so if someone knows a solution that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:)

burnoutmaster98, Aug 11, 2020
  2. APG6 Win User

my taskbar search is working sporadically

My taskbar search bar is working some of the time. For example, if I type in "TaskMgr", it will list taskmgr, and when I click on it, it opens my Task Manager, as expected.

But if I type in a file name or an app, like WinMerge, it will list them properly in the Search list, but if I click on them, either nothing happens or it takes me to the root window of File Explorer, instead of to the file or the app.

I ran through all the steps on this page, to no avail: Search isn't working on Windows 10? Try these fixes.

Any ideas?

3. I_askYou Win User
    Windows 10: how to restore search bar in the taskbar?

When I right click on Taskbar, there is no "Search" in the list.

I_askYou, Aug 11, 2020
  4. Taskbar and Explorer search bars do not work

Windows 10: how to restore search bar in the taskbar?

Hi Jos,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in taskbar settings.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to show search bar in the taskbar and check if it helps.

1. Right click on Taskbar.

2. Then click on Search.

3. Select Search box from the list.

Please get back to us with an update on issue wit finding Search box in Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

Taskbar and Explorer search bars do not work

1. Taskbar and Explorer search bars do not work - Similar Threads - Taskbar Explorer search

2. Taskbar buggy / Search bar not working

in Cortana
    Taskbar buggy / Search bar not working: Hello, Since yesterday my taskbar seems to be bugged quite a bit.It's only happening a bit after starting windows up though, when i click on the search bar for example it pops up and closes immediately when i type a single letter into it Here's a Video on how it looks...
  3. Search Bar and Explorer not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar and Explorer not working: Two days ago I was navigating through my files then out of nowhere the Explorer crashed, I tried to open it again only for it to crash seconds after opening the folder again. While trying to fix the problem I also discovered that my Search Bar closed before I was able to type...
  4. Taskbar Search Bar Not Working

in Cortana
    Taskbar Search Bar Not Working: I think after I downloaded Windows 10 2004, my search bar stopped working. Firstly, it's not the full-size search bar anymore. It's just the search icon. I want it to be the full-size search bar, but when I right-click and view the options, there is no option to make it...
  5. Explorer and taskbar search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer and taskbar search not working: Build 1904.338 When I click into the search bar the cursor doesnt appear, a black box briefly appears above and I cannot type. The same happens in the File Explorer search box. After many frustrating googles and many blind allys I am stuck trying to find out if the search...
  6. Explorer and task Bar search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer and task Bar search not working: Build 1904.338 When I click into the search bar the cursor doesnt appear, a black box briefly appears above and I cannot type. The same happens in the File Explorer search box. After many frustrating googles and many blind allys I am stuck trying to find out if the search...
  7. Search Bar in explorer and task bar not working

in Cortana
    Search Bar in explorer and task bar not working: Hi, The Search Bar in explorer and task bar not working, I've tried every possible solution I could find online and nothing works, any suggestions? Even after the latest update on 15/07/20 the issue was still not resolved, I have been having this issue on and off after...
  8. Windows 10 Explorer Search bar not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Explorer Search bar not working: I can't even activate the search bar field so that I can type in it . How do I fix it ? windows version : https://imgur.com/a/zpSAdfa https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-explorer-search-bar-not-working/2b594ff4-15a3-4821-b4b8-8a72ce40b2f3"
  9. File Explorer search bar not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search bar not working: I've noticed this issue yesterday. When I try to search something in my File Explorer it looks like it's searching but the green bar seems to go on forever. I left it up for an hour and it was still searching when I came back. I even tried to look for files that I knew were...
  10. Search bar in taskbar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Search bar in taskbar doesn't work: I have the "Search the web and Windows" bar in my taskbar but I can't type anything into it. If I go to "File Explorer" in the start panel, I can search for files. This worked in the past and I don't know what might have happened to make it stop working. I'm still...