Windows 10: Taskbar and keys not working

Discus and support Taskbar and keys not working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, my problem is that my Windows task bar and search tool are not responding. The icons, like google chrome etc. have disappeared. I've tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Helmi_, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Helmi_ Win User

Taskbar and keys not working

Hello, my problem is that my Windows task bar and search tool are not responding. The icons, like google chrome etc. have disappeared. I've tried searching for fixes, but noticed that some of them need the use of programs that can only be opened from the search bar, or keyboard shortcuts which aren't working if they require the use of the windows key. Therefore I can't e.g. use the System Configuration tool Other keys that aren't working are the sound keys my computer's stuck on silent mode and the airplane mode key, which does work but leaves "flight mode on" or "flight mode off" notification on the screen.

Is there any way to fix this, or is there no hope of recovery?

:)

Helmi_, Apr 14, 2020

2. Windows 10 Taskbar is not working and "fixes" don't fix it.

Hi Carole,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing Taskbar on Windows 10. We will help you with resolving the issue.

Provide us the additional information to understand the issue and assist you better:

• What exactly happens when you press Alt+Tab keys from the keyboard to switch between the apps?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue?

As you said Taskbar is not working, and you will minimize all the opened apps to access the one you wish to from Taskbar. Be clear with how exactly you are trying to accessing the apps from Taskbar.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if you have enabled the Auto-hide option for Taskbar, if so try to disable and check if it helps.

Steps to enable auto-hide Taskbar:

• Right click in the empty space on the Taskbar, click on
      Properties,
    • Under Taskbar tab, uncheck the Auto-hide the Taskbar option, click on
      Apply and Ok.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue and brief description for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 14, 2020
  3. Taskbar disable, key command to activate

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps. I would suggest you to auto hide the taskbar. Follow the below steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select properties.
    • Check on the box Auto-hide taskbar, click on Apply and click on
      OK.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Apr 14, 2020
  4. csatennis Win User

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Taskbar and keys not working - Similar Threads - Taskbar keys working

2. Window taskbar, menu and window key not working. How to update?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window taskbar, menu and window key not working. How to update?: Hi,I just came back from a trip and started my computer and I have some problems.The taskbar doesn't work properly. A lot of icons are missing and, when I drag my mouse over the taskbar, it enter in a loading state that never end. If I click, my screen go dark for 1 second...
  3. windows key and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows key and taskbar not working: Hello, my windows key and taskbar are not working. I have tried many methods to fix this problem such as restarting my explorer, changing registry, finding new drivers, and powershell. When I try to right click an app on the taskbar I don't get any menu and when I press my...
  4. windows key and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows key and taskbar not working: Hello, my windows key and taskbar are not working. I have tried many methods to fix this problem such as restarting my explorer, changing registry, finding new drivers, and powershell. When I try to right click an app on the taskbar I don't get any menu and when I press my...
  5. windows key and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows key not working on taskbar and from keyboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows key not working on taskbar and from keyboard: I have a surface book and the: 1- Windows key on the keyboard 2- Start key on the taskbar 3- The search window next to the start key on the taskbar are not working. 1- When pressing the windows key on the keyboard, nothing happens. 2- When the mouse hoovers over the...
  7. Original Taskbar Manager Shortcut keys not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Original Taskbar Manager Shortcut keys not working: For some time, my Left Ctrl+Shift+Esc key shortcut has worked fine for me until one day it stopped working and I have to use the Right Ctrl+Shift+Esc and then that opens up my Task Manager. How can I change it back to Left Ctrl+Shift+Esc back to its default shortcut keys that...
  8. Taskbar and windows key not working

in Cortana
    Taskbar and windows key not working: No matter what I do if I click on any part of the taskbar windows icon nothing happens. None of my tasks are shown on the bottom of my screen and windows key on my keyboard does absolutely nothing. I've done a bunch of fixes, but nothing works....
  9. Taskbar registry key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar registry key: Hi i need know where is the key path of the taskbar size in the registry. I hope your answers regards 138473
  10. Windows 10 taskbar and Windows Logo Key not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 taskbar and Windows Logo Key not working: I'm running Windows 10 Home operating System and Microsoft Office 2014 which were downloaded from microsoft a few years back. How come it does not show up in my Microsoft login account? and, If I'm having system problems on my computer and I need to reinstall them how do I do...