Windows 10: taskbar and menu items not working

Discus and support taskbar and menu items not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After an apparently smooth upgrade to Win 10 I realised the buttons on the taskbar don't lauch the programs anymore. Nor do the items on the start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by licinio, Aug 1, 2015.

1. licinio Win User

taskbar and menu items not working

After an apparently smooth upgrade to Win 10 I realised the buttons on the taskbar don't lauch the programs anymore. Nor do the items on the start menu. The only few that work are the ones added by Win 10 such as Microsoft Edge, and inexplicably Skype and Viber.
    I have detected a possible cause in the default application that opens .lnk files: there is no program associated. I have tried several ways (such as editing regedit, launching patches, etc.) to set the value to Iexplore.exe, but without success.
    Have you got any ideas?
    Andrea

:)

licinio, Aug 1, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu

Facebook in an Internet item it works through your mail program.

Chrome should be able to be pinned to the taskbar and to the Start menu.

lacrumb, Aug 1, 2015
  3. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Temendor Win User

Hello Andrea,
    I found something to try out here: FIX Windows 10 taskbar not working - Microsoft Community
    Keep me updated, cause this error needs to be shorted our as quickly as possible if it is common amongst the users.

Temendor, Aug 1, 2015
  5. licinio Win User
    Ok, I tried, but after hitting enter at step 4 I get the following:

Get-AppXPackage : Accesso negato.
    Accesso negato.
    In riga:1 car:1
    + Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopm ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: taskbar and menu items not working :)) [Get-AppxPackage], UnauthorizedAccessException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.GetApp
    xPackageCommand

PS After step 3 I have no evidence I'm running PowerShell as an administrator.

licinio, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Temendor Win User
    If you go to the settings and click open the account tab do you see your self as the administrator. If not it indicates that you need to create one or give your self the access. The error you got also indicates that you are not authorized to change the settings.

while looking in to this I came up with a possible other solution:
    "I had this issue as well. The following helped me:1) Run "/sfc scannow" in Administrative Command Prompt
    2) Create a new user account
    3) Log out of current account and sign into new account
    4) Wait a few minutes then sign out of new account and log in to your account
    5) Open start menu"

[/quote] L: My Computer
    taskbar and menu items not working [​IMG]
    You need to have JavaScript enabled so that you can use this ... Computer Type: PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number: Own build
    CPU: intel i5-4690K (4CPUs) ~3.5Ghz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte z97x-Gaming 3
    Memory: HyperX singlestick 8gb 1333Mhz
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce gtx 780 Windforce OC 3GB

[*]
    licinio Junior Member Posts : 3 win 10
    New[/b] 02 Aug 2015 #5

Temendor, Aug 1, 2015
  7. licinio Win User
    Now: with the 1st method I cannot delete the folder because it's in use by some application, as other users found. The command line also reported an error with some applications running such as Cortana - which I had disabled.
    2nd method hasn't done the trick either.

licinio, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. taskbar and menu items not working - Similar Threads - taskbar menu items

2. multiple items on taskbar is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    multiple items on taskbar is not working: Hi,I don't know what happen but for some reason most of the items on my taskbar is not working this includes; search bar, calendar, and even weather....
  3. multiple items on taskbar is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    multiple items on taskbar is not working: Hi,I don't know what happen but for some reason most of the items on my taskbar is not working this includes; search bar, calendar, and even weather....
  4. Taskbar items not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar items not working properly: I noticed a while ago I couldn't open my calendar by left clicking on my clock as I normally did. Then I realized clicking the volume button wouldn't open the volume control, and now I find right clicking on or hovering above apps in the taskbar i.e. File Explorer does...
  5. Taskbar items not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar items not working properly: I noticed a while ago I couldn't open my calendar by left clicking on my clock as I normally did. Then I realized clicking the volume button wouldn't open the volume control, and now I find right clicking on or hovering above apps in the taskbar i.e. File Explorer does...
  6. Taskbar items not working properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Unknown Items in Taskbar Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown Items in Taskbar Menu: I've noticed that when opening the ^menu on the right side of the taskbar, there will sometimes be anywhere between 1 & about 7 of these blue dots taking up the menu. When I put the cursor over them, they immediately vanish. What are they? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  8. Start Menu, Search, Cortana and other taskbar Items not working

in Cortana
    Start Menu, Search, Cortana and other taskbar Items not working: I had this problem before that whenever I am clicking the mouse pointer on start button it isn't working. I had updated windows and nothing worked. Had to reset. It has been 3 times now. Please Help....
  9. Taskbar Items Not Working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Items Not Working?: Hello all, By Task Bar items I mean; Start button, Cortana search, speaker icon, Network icon, Date/time. When I click on the badge(?) nothing happens. The apps like File Explorer, Chrome open with no problem. If i Right click Start button and click Search then nothing...
  10. Taskbar Items Not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Items Not working: Start, Search items won't open from the taskbar. Clicking on Start or search results in the busy icon showing for less that a second and nothing else happens! Tried restarting explorer - no joy. 11982