Windows 10: Taskbar and Start Menu frequently not responding

Discus and support Taskbar and Start Menu frequently not responding in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro, up to date, on an Intel i5-6500 processor and Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3 motherboard. I've only been having this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JoPoMo, Jan 4, 2018.

1. JoPoMo Win User

Taskbar and Start Menu frequently not responding

I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro, up to date, on an Intel i5-6500 processor and Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3 motherboard. I've only been having this problem in the last month or so, having used the Windows installation for about a year previously.
    The Taskbar and Start Menu only infrequently respond; it seems they function for something like 10 seconds out of a minute, and the rest of the time I get no response when I try to use them. I can still access them fine eventually after waiting a minute or so, but the majority of the time they're locked up. I haven't noticed any pattern for when they do and don't function other than that most of the time they don't, until a bit of waiting.
    Both are still visible on my screen at all times, and I can launch programs that are pinned to the Taskbar as usual with a left click. However most of the time I cannot access any right click options, the Start Menu, or things like volume control and WiFi, nor can I adjust the Taskbar or get to any other setting accessed through the Taskbar.
    I haven't noticed any other functionality problems with my Windows installation; other windows applications work normally at all times.
    It's possible this problem could be arising from changing Windows security settings. I adjusted the security settings, limiting security access to the main drives on the computer, a few weeks ago to limit access to file systems on a guest account. As a possible solution I'd also appreciate it if anyone knew a way to reset the security settings of my drives to default, as I can't recall what the default settings were or how to reinitialize them. I have no idea why this would cause the issue, but it started happening around that time if I'm remembering correctly.
    I can't find any other information online that's helped resolve the issue.
    Thanks for your help

:)

JoPoMo, Jan 4, 2018

2. Taskbar and Start Menu frequently not responding

I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro, up to date, on an Intel i5-6500 processor and Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3 motherboard. I've only been having this problem in the last month or so, having used the Windows installation for about a year previously.

The Taskbar and Start Menu only infrequently respond; it seems they function for something like 10 seconds out of a minute, and the rest of the time I get no response when I try to use them. I can still access them fine eventually after waiting a minute
    or so, but the majority of the time they're locked up. I haven't noticed any pattern for when they do and don't function other than that most of the time they don't, until a bit of waiting.

Both are still visible on my screen at all times, and I can launch programs that are pinned to the Taskbar as usual with a left click. However most of the time I cannot access any right click options, the Start Menu, or things like volume control and WiFi,
    nor can I adjust the Taskbar or get to any other setting accessed through the Taskbar.

I haven't noticed any other functionality problems with my Windows installation; other windows applications work normally at all times.

It's possible this problem could be arising from changing Windows security settings. I adjusted the security settings, limiting security access to the main drives on the computer, a few weeks ago to limit access to file systems on a guest account. As a
    possible solution I'd also appreciate it if anyone knew a way to reset the security settings of my drives to default, as I can't recall what the default settings were or how to reinitialize them. I have no idea why this would cause the issue, but it started
    happening around that time if I'm remembering correctly.

I can't find any other information online that's helped resolve the issue.

Thanks for your help

JosephMorrell, Jan 4, 2018
  3. Ar Rom Win User

Hi Joseph,

Since you want to reset the security settings to default, you can try the different recovery options in Windows 10. The steps can be found on this

link

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Ar Rom, Jan 4, 2018
  4. nt62 Win User

Depends on what build you are using.
    Something like this, the initial build 10240 start and taskbar works all the time.

If you are using build 17063, the start and taskbar might also work all the time.
    Other builds have issues depending on your experience.

I would suggest trying another build - especially if it is an Insider Preview.

nt62, Jan 4, 2018
  5. JoPoMo Win User
    Build is 16299. How do you try another build? Windows doesn't let me rollback to old versions.

JoPoMo, Jan 4, 2018
  6. dmholt57 Win User
    First thing, go into settings for System and get the Windows 10 build number found in About. Or we can call a psychic and do a bit of guessing... *Tongue

dmholt57, Jan 5, 2018
  7. JoPoMo Win User
    You need a psychic to read the reply above yours?

JoPoMo, Jan 5, 2018
  8. dmholt57 Win User

what numbers come after the 299... *really 299.125 had the problem, 192 doesn't...

dmholt57, Jan 5, 2018
  9. JoPoMo Win User
    The only field with anything past 16299 is Hardware Abstraction Layer, 10.0.16299.15

JoPoMo, Jan 5, 2018
  10. dmholt57 Win User
    This is what the rig I am on shows in About... You may be waiting for an Intel 'fix'... *Nerd

Taskbar and Start Menu frequently not responding [​IMG]

dmholt57, Jan 5, 2018
  11. dmholt57 Win User
    I'm thinkin' just turn off all power saving features and untick fast startup and they will update fixes through windows in the next week or so and it will have just been a minor irritant... Changes to a whole drive like your C: as to owner from TrustedInstaller is not advised, but you don't say where you changed the access to the guest account...

dmholt57, Jan 5, 2018
  12. nt62 Win User
    Hello JoPoMo.

Unfortunately, the TechNet Evaluation Center has just changed its website. (either today or yesterday)
    They only offer the same build as what you have.

First, I would now suggest a RESET of your build. > Settings > update and recovery > RESET to a clean build

Otherwise, use a replacement start menu / Classic Shell / Start10 / Winstep (start and taskbar replacement)

Thema:

1. Taskbar and Start Menu frequently not responding - Similar Threads - Taskbar Start Menu

2. Start menu and settings are not responding.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and settings are not responding.: I upgraded with windows 11 22H2, but there was some problem with the drivers so I installed them manually but now my star and some other taskbar icons are not working, also not able to go into settings, there are also no notifications. Start process from task manager is gone...
  3. Start menu and settings are not responding.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and settings are not responding.: I upgraded with windows 11 22H2, but there was some problem with the drivers so I installed them manually but now my star and some other taskbar icons are not working, also not able to go into settings, there are also no notifications. Start process from task manager is gone...
  4. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    not responding start menu: My start menu is not quite working properly. It will open couple of seconds when I click it and it will freeze. When I click on the apps it will also take some time to respond and sometimes I need to close the apps in the task manager and do it again...
  5. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not responding start menu: My start menu is not quite working properly. It will open couple of seconds when I click it and it will freeze. When I click on the apps it will also take some time to respond and sometimes I need to close the apps in the task manager and do it again...
  6. not responding start menu

7. Start Menu / Taskbar Not Responding for 10 Minutes

Start Menu / Taskbar Not Responding for 10 Minutes: Windows 10 Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.572 - this issue has occurred the past few months When booting up the computer, or reboot, or switching users 2 users in the house The Start Menu, apps on the taskbar, and action center do not respond. When right clicking on the...
  8. Start menu not responding

Start menu not responding: Whenever I open the start menu, it works for a few seconds (but can't open any applications) and stops responding and finally closes automatically. The start menu can no longer be used to open any applications. The search bar, if not opened with the start menu opened, works...
  9. Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond

Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond: This is a problem I've been having with Windows 10 since I upgraded from 7 and honestly it's making me want to reinstall 7 again. Every so often, normally after only a few minutes, any windows applications that are open, including photos, the task manager or even the task...
  10. Start menu and taskbar are not responding after reverting to 10125

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and taskbar are not responding after reverting to 10125: Hi all, long story short: i updated to 10130 the other night but i had issues with networking (basically connected to limited networks or cant connect at all), so when i reverted back to 10125 (through windows recovery) i have an issue where when i click on start menu...