Windows 10: Taskbar and windows move to primary monitor upon wake from sleep

Discus and support Taskbar and windows move to primary monitor upon wake from sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have three Acer monitors, all at the same resolution. My middle monitor is designated as the primary monitor. My middle and left monitors are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scootmien, Sep 17, 2018.

1. scootmien Win User

Taskbar and windows move to primary monitor upon wake from sleep

I have three Acer monitors, all at the same resolution. My middle monitor is designated as the primary monitor. My middle and left monitors are connected with DisplayPort and my right monitor is connected by DVI-D. All through a Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti

I have my taskbar and many of my windows opening on the right monitor (browser, email etc).

When my homebuilt Win10 PC wakes from sleep, all the windows and my taskbar are now on my middle monitor. This only just started happening. I have no idea what is causing it but it's doung my head in having to keep moving them all over constantly.

Any advice gratefully received please.

:)

scootmien, Sep 17, 2018

2. How to auto-hide taskbar of the second monitor keeping unhide in the primary monitor?

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps below to auto-hide taskbar on second monitor and check if it helps:

Steps:

1. Right click on the taskbar and select
    Properties.

2. In the Taskbar tab under
    Multiple displays, Uncheck the Show taskbar on all displays box.

3. Click on Apply
    and Ok.

This will display the taskbar only on the primary monitor.

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Sep 17, 2018
  3. Ajhmain Win User
    The taskbar locked to bottom of secondary monitor moves to the primary monitor whenever primary monitor is switched on.

See the title.

I have the taskbar locked at the bottom of the secondary monitor so the primary monitor is completely empty for watching movies, games TV etc.

Whenever I turn the primary monitor on, the taskbar immediately jumps from the bottom of the seconday monitor over to the bottom of the primary monitor. I then need to untick the 'Locked' option on the taskbar, drag it back to the secondary and tick 'Locked'
    again.

The taskbar disrupts desktop icons on the primary and any application running on the primary monitor at the time and quite frustrating.

Primary monitor is an Asus PB328, connected via Display Port to the PC.

Secondary monitor is a Samsung 24 connected via DVI to the PC.

I expect the taskbar to remain where I place it when locked, regardless of monitors been switched on or off.

The sequence of turning on the primary and secondary monitors has no impact. As soon as the primary monitor (Asus on DP) is turned on, the locked taskbar moves to the primary display, regardless of whether the Samsung is on or not.

Ajhmain, Sep 17, 2018
  4. Taskbar and windows move to primary monitor upon wake from sleep

Pin To Taskbar with multiple monitors does not work - can only pin to primary monitor

Hi Navneet,

I performed the steps with no errors and rebooted. Results are the same.

Perhaps I should try to clarify the issue a bit.

Current setup:

- Windows 10 Pro with Quad monitor setup

* Xeon E3-1276 @3,60GHz, 20GB RAM

* Dual nVidia Quadro K620 video cards (4 monitors)

- Under Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, I have the following setting:

* Show taskbar on all displays

* Show taskbar buttons on: Taskbar where window is open

* Buttons on other taskbars: Always combine, hide labels

I will use IE as the example here. By default, IE is pinned to the taskbar on the primary monitor/display.

On the primary monitor taskbar, if you right-click on IE the option "Unpin this program from the taskbar" is present.

Likewise, if I unpin IE from here (primary monitor) and re-open IE, I can right-click on the taskbar icon and select "Pin this program to the taskbar".

If IE is pinned to the taskbar and I move the open IE window to another monitor, here is what happens:

The IE taskbar icon is now present on BOTH the primary monitor and secondary monitor, even though the IE window is open only on the secondary monitor.

When right-click on the IE icon in the secondary monitor, there are no unpin or pin options available - those options are present ONLY on the primary monitor.

If you close and reopen IE from the primary monitor taskbar icon, it will reopen to the monitor it was last on (secondary in this example), but that is not the issue for me; taskbar icon location is the problem.

Similarly, if any application is opened on another screen, it must be move to the primary monitor to be able to pin it to the taskbar.

This was not the case in Windows 8.x - applications could be pinned to any (specific) monitor taskbar and appeared only on the monitor to which it was pinned.

So if I have, say, 20 taskbar items pinned - I cannot have 5 on each respective monitor;

they can only be "pinned" to the primary monitor, thus filling the taskbar. Far from ideal...

Evan Leonard, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

Taskbar and windows move to primary monitor upon wake from sleep

1. Taskbar and windows move to primary monitor upon wake from sleep - Similar Threads - Taskbar move primary

2. Windows revert to Primary monitor on wake up from sleep.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows revert to Primary monitor on wake up from sleep.: My PC has an ASUS H81M-plus motherboard. I was running two monitors on extended desktop through the built in Intel graphics via HDMI and display port OK until last week, when the HDMI output failed. I got myself a cheap PCIe x16 graphics card - a GeForce GT 520 (although it...
  3. Monitor has black bar covering half the taskbar upon boot/waking from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor has black bar covering half the taskbar upon boot/waking from sleep.: So essentially what happens is on booting my pc or when i wake up the screen from sleep mode I get this black bar which covers half the taskbar, over the span of 20-30 minutes it slowly fades away but if I leave my pc and wake it from sleep it is right back to covering half...
  4. Monitor has black bar covering half the taskbar upon boot/waking from sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor has black bar covering half the taskbar upon boot/waking from sleep.: So essentially what happens is on booting my pc or when i wake up the screen from sleep mode I get this black bar which covers half the taskbar, over the span of 20-30 minutes it slowly fades away but if I leave my pc and wake it from sleep it is right back to covering half...
  5. Move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar: Hi.I would really appreciate more taskbar positioning options for the taskbar in Windows 11. I would really like to move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar. If it is possible to do, I would really appreciate to know how. I already...
  6. Move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar: Hi.I would really appreciate more taskbar positioning options for the taskbar in Windows 11. I would really like to move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar. If it is possible to do, I would really appreciate to know how. I already...
  7. Dual Monitors Taskbar Problem - Taskbar moves from secondary to primary monitor on wake

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Monitors Taskbar Problem - Taskbar moves from secondary to primary monitor on wake: I'm running dual monitors (1440p main, 1080p secondary) and I want my taskbar positioned on my secondary monitor. After the computer wakes up from sleeping the taskbar is always repositioned back to the primary monitor. 1) I will not reassign my 1440p main display to be the...
  8. Program windows move to primary monitor upon wake or startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Program windows move to primary monitor upon wake or startup: As stated in the subject line, I have a dual monitor setup, primary is plugged in via a displayport cable, and the secondary is connected via hdmi to my GPU which is a evga 1080ti ftw3 with the latest driversnot sure if thats relevant. I use my secondary monitor to display a...
  9. How to move volume icon from primary monitor taskbar to secondary monitor taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move volume icon from primary monitor taskbar to secondary monitor taskbar?: move or duplicate, either works for me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-volume-icon-from-primary-monitor/5e3cd760-5854-4fc5-995c-8eedbbb381a3
  10. BSOD upon waking from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD upon waking from sleep: Attachment 133661 A new laptop with Windows 10 freezing when waking from sleep. BSOD: irql not less or equal. Please help.. Thank you very much! 83616

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows move to primary monitor

2. enterprise architect element properties window in seconday monitor to main monitor

3. windows get window to primary monitor from taskbar