Windows 10: Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP

Discus and support Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; If I remote desktop to any of my Windows10 PC's, open a few apps and then minimize any open application windows I can hover over them and see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JeffSaunders1, May 7, 2020.

1. Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP

If I remote desktop to any of my Windows10 PC's, open a few apps and then minimize any open application windows I can hover over them and see the thumbnails of them in the taskbar.

If I leave them minimized and then minimize my RDP session, when I come back to that open RDP session all of the minimized taskbar app icons show a grey/white thumbnail with just a tiny logo in the center the logo representing the app.

This happens from any PC 5 total. No matter which PC I RDP from and to.
    I tried the thumbnail deletion fix on a few of them and it didn't resolve the issue.
    Any ideas what could be causing this?

In addition. If after the above mentioned issue happens in RDP, if I log on directly to the PC that I was connected to the issue is still there. the icons are grey/white. BUT - if I maximize and then minimize the apps while directly connected to the PC the issue is not there. Seems to be caused by RDP.

I found one PC that doesn't have the problem. After reviewing the updates I discovered the PC's that have the problem have MS Update version in the 1903 set, but the PC that doesn't have the problem is using the 1809 update set.

Another interesting thing. Internet Explorer not Edge does not have the issue. If I load IE on the remote PC and do the minimize thing along with other apps, it's the only app that shows up on hover.

:)

JeffSaunders1, May 7, 2020
  2. Scrif Win User

Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP

If I remote desktop to any of my Windows10 PC's, open a few apps and then minimize any open application windows I can hover over them and see the thumbnails of them in the taskbar.

If I leave them minimized and then minimize my RDP session, when I come back to that open RDP session all of the minimized taskbar app icons show a grey/white thumbnail with just a tiny logo in the center (the logo representing the app).

This happens from any PC (5 total). No matter which PC I RDP from and to.
    I tried the thumbnail deletion fix on a few of them and it didn't resolve the issue.
    Any ideas what could be causing this?

In addition. If after the above mentioned issue happens in RDP, if I log on directly to the PC that I was connected to the issue is still there. (the icons are grey/white). BUT - if I maximize and then minimize the apps while directly connected to the PC the issue is not there. Seems to be caused by RDP.

- - - Updated - - -

Update - I found one PC that doesn't have the problem. After reviewing the updates I discovered the PC's that have the problem have MS Update version in the 1903 set, but the PC that doesn't have the problem is using the 1809 update set.

How do I get all my PC's back to the 1809 update set?

- - - Updated - - -

Another interesting thing. Internet Explorer (not Edge) does not have the issue. If I load IE on the remote PC and do the minimize thing (along with other apps), it's the only app that shows up on hover. WTF!

Scrif, May 7, 2020
  3. Windows APPS ICON NOT SHOWING PROPERLY on taskbar

It's been couple of days since I upgraded my system to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Everything is working fine except this nasty error. If I pin apps to taskbar or run apps , the app icons on the taskbar are shown as white square. And I am seeing the same thing on Apps & Feature settings list. The icons are there but as the backgrounds are shown as grey-white chequered pattern (for the transparency ), it looks like white squares. Rebuilt the icon cache but to no avail.
    Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP [​IMG]

Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP [​IMG]
    And on the start menu everything looks fine.

HyperionFumed, May 7, 2020
  4. Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP

How to show the taskbar when in a full screen RDP session?

How to get the taskbar to show for some time when clicking on the connection bar in a RDP session?

Right now to show the taskbar I have to minimize the RDP session, which is kind of annoying.

The taskbar do show as I want it to, if I have two displays and click somewhere on the desktop on display 1 when having a full screen RDP running on display 2. Sadly this only work if the desktop is visible on display 1.

Emil Skibsted Kristensen, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP

1. Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP - Similar Threads - Taskbar app icons

2. Minimized windows being sent to "Show hidden icons"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minimized windows being sent to "Show hidden icons": So, when I minimize my window, it gets sent to the hidden icons box, which is really annoying. I have tried disabling some settings about displays, but it didn't work. The custom theme software I use are RetroBar, WindowBlinds 11, and Open-Shell. Below are my PC specs:Device...
  3. Minimized windows being sent to "Show hidden icons"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minimized windows being sent to "Show hidden icons": So, when I minimize my window, it gets sent to the hidden icons box, which is really annoying. I have tried disabling some settings about displays, but it didn't work. The custom theme software I use are RetroBar, WindowBlinds 11, and Open-Shell. Below are my PC specs:Device...
  4. Taskbar not showing proper icon logo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar not showing proper icon logo: Hello, I had synced my computers and that might’ve played a factor with this but I am not sure. How can I make sure the right logos appear on the taskbar. I have telegram opened and I can see it in the taskbar but it’s not telegram logo but paper/text icon. How can I make...
  5. Taskbar not showing proper icon logo

Taskbar not showing proper icon logo: Hello, I had synced my computers and that might’ve played a factor with this but I am not sure. How can I make sure the right logos appear on the taskbar. I have telegram opened and I can see it in the taskbar but it’s not telegram logo but paper/text icon. How can I make...
  6. Clicking taskbar icon does not minimize app

Clicking taskbar icon does not minimize app: When I click on a taskbar icon of a program I'm viewing it doesn't minimize. My old computer did this. Is there a setting I can change to make this happen?...
  7. Taskbar Icons not showing properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Icons not showing properly: Taskbar icons are not showing properly after unpin and repin, after resetting, it just shows my icons as a white window with blue rectangle https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-not-showing-properly/b3bdc056-7554-4527-8046-a43b9d1c96cf
  8. Taskbar Icons not showing properly

Taskbar Icons not showing properly: Taskbar icons are not showing properly after unpin and repin, after resetting, it just shows my icons as a white window with blue rectangle https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-not-showing-properly/b3bdc056-7554-4527-8046-a43b9d1c96cf
  9. Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP: If I remote desktop to any of my Windows10 PC's, open a few apps and then minimize any open application windows I can hover over them and see the thumbnails of them in the taskbar. If I leave them minimized and then minimize my RDP session, when I come back to that open RDP...
  10. Windows APPS ICON NOT SHOWING PROPERLY on taskbar

Windows APPS ICON NOT SHOWING PROPERLY on taskbar: It's been couple of days since I upgraded my system to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Everything is working fine except this nasty error. If I pin apps to taskbar or run apps , the app icons on the taskbar are shown as white square. And I am seeing the same thing on Apps &...