Windows 10: Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Discus and support Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I've searched high and wide all over the internet to see if anyone has had this problem, and (possibly due to being quite difficult to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dandann, Aug 25, 2015.

1. dandann Win User

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Hi all,

I've searched high and wide all over the internet to see if anyone has had this problem, and (possibly due to being quite difficult to describe) I've been unable to find a similar instance - but I would imagine it is an easy fix for someone in the know.

The problem: Since I upgraded to 10 I have an issue that occurs when I have multiple windows open; when I click the taskbar to switch program to something that is already minimised or in the background, such as a new settings screen, or any other screen which doesn't automatically maximise to full screen resolution, it will just disappear behind all other open windows. So for example, if I have chrome open and want to go to steam (or anything either unopened, minimised or in the background) I would click on the program in taskbar, the screen will flash up - but as soon as I move my cursor towards it (ie away from the taskbar), the screen that is already open will take priority and send the new screen to the back. This is rather frustrating and I've never had this problem before.

I'm not sure whether it is a taskbar problem or a window priority issue? But, I just can't seem to fix the issue.

To temporarily solve it, I have had to minimise all windows to get to the new window that I want - as it will just go to the back (unless I either quickly move my mouse to it, or if the screen is maximised and at the top already) and this isn't ideal.

Apologies for the extended description, but it is quite hard to explain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Danny

:)

dandann, Aug 25, 2015

2. In windows 10 switching to another window -will not appear at the front . How can I resolve this problem?

For your information I am running "Edge" and "Opera" and "Microsoft Word".

With any one of these on top (appearing on screen) clicking either of the 2

other programs in the taskbar does not bring it on top, The only way to see

them is by minimizing whatever is on top.

After I run CMD as administrator it is not clear exactly what how to type

in "cd desktop

tasklist > tasklist.txt"

Hope you can clarify the exact sequence of typing in the required text in

the command prompt with spaces (if any).

Hassan Hashem, Aug 25, 2015
  3. In windows 10 switching to another window -will not appear at the front . How can I resolve this problem?

Hi,

To isolate your concern, we'll need the following information:

• When was the issue started to happen?
    • What are the running apps?
    • What are the programs left on top?
    To check for running applications, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type CMD.
    • Type these commands:
    cd desktop

tasklist > tasklist.txt

4. It will generate a file on the desktop, open it and provide us the programs that are running.

We're looking forward to your response.

Jesebel Ova, Aug 25, 2015
  4. dandann Win User

OK so after about 2 hours of messing around, I think I've found the problem. See this thread.

It seems it was a simple solution in the end (obviously!), but I'll leave this thread here just in case anyone has the same issue - for some reason when I installed windows 10, this option was checked already and was fairly difficult to find with the new settings screen on 10.

*really

dandann, Aug 25, 2015
  5. cheetalia Win User
    Hi. I don't understand how you fixed problem. Could you help me?

cheetalia, Mar 21, 2016
  6. Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    • Select or click Ease of Access.
    • Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    • Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    • Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    • In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    • Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    • In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    • In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, May 28, 2016
  7. LucySM Win User
    *Smile This really helped!! A week ago I updated my Windows 10 and the hovering started. Since then, it has been frustrating! I have been trying to fix the problem but didn't know what it was called! Thank you!

LucySM, Aug 26, 2016
  8. flash5565 Win User

Okay, my issue is of the opposite nature. Imagine I'm playing a game in borderless window mode, and then I alt-tab out of it to go to, for example, google chrome. When I do so, the taskbar is covered by the lower portion of the game that I was playing, and trying to click where the task bar should be just opens the game window. Attached is an example of me typing this reply while playing overwatch.
    Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front [​IMG]
    Notice how the game covers the area where the taskbar should be. If I click that, the game window opens. I've tried playing around with the taskbar settings, but there only seem to be options to HIDE the taskbar, not to have it show. Help or redirection to another thread (I haven't found one) would be much appreciated

flash5565, Aug 30, 2016
  9. csatennis Win User
    I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Sep 8, 2016
  10. Draemscat Win User
    This stuff has been driving me crazy for weeks. The solution is to close your battle.net launcher. After I did it, the problem instantly disappeared. There's is an option in Battle.net settings to close it when you start games.

Draemscat, Sep 9, 2016
  11. mmdali Win User
    i am having the same issue...when ever i click on a window from the taskbar or press alt+tab to switch to another window...the minimized window just opens under all the other opened windows....but i dont think my problem is with my touchpad..bcuz it still happens even when im using a mouse or pressing alt+tab....i tried the method 1 of the above solution but it was already unchecked. its really getting on my nerves now .....a help will be really appreciated,....thx

mmdali, Sep 19, 2016
  12. Christi Win User
    I am having the EXACT same problem! It is so frustrating!! It makes me want to go back to Windows 8 *Sad Someone please find a solution to this!

Christi, Sep 20, 2016
  13. pont4n Win User

How did u fix this m8?

pont4n, Oct 24, 2016
  14. Mattis Win User
    I have done "everything" to be able to switch between window in a normal way, as described by others here. Repairing Windows, reinstalling Windows, replaced all the drivers multiple times, replaced the mouse.

The method 2 worked for me. However, when the computer has been running for a while (30 minutes or so) the problem starts again.
    When applying Method 2 it turned out that I have deleted the driver for the external mouse, not for the touchpad.
    Be aware: If you are deleting the touchpad driver (Synaptics Poiting Device in my case) this driver is NOT updated by a restart or by selecting "Scan for Hardware Change". You have to find the driver online for your computer and reinstall it manually. The external mouse is still working after the deletion, and you better have one available or you'r stuck.

Mattis, Feb 19, 2017
  15. TXWizard Win User
    For any fellow Windows 7 die-hard colleagues who find their way here, I had the same issue with my Windows 7 desktop, which cropped up unexpectedly today. Following the excellent suggestion about looking in the ease of access center, I fixed it by toggling the hover setting, which was already in the OFF position. This is something that I have seen before from time to time, and it's a tried and true solution. The contribution made by this thread is that it led me straight to the setting that needed to be toggled, which is one of which I was heretofore unaware.

Thanks, folks!*Smile

TXWizard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front - Similar Threads - Taskbar bug switching

2. taskbar bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    taskbar bug: Hello I have a problem that the taskbar doesn't work and windows won't open, I've watched solution videos but it hasn't helped. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-bug/d73a1097-f6cf-4889-9064-e3e8e8486366
  3. taskbar bug

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskbar bug: Hello I have a problem that the taskbar doesn't work and windows won't open, I've watched solution videos but it hasn't helped. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-bug/d73a1097-f6cf-4889-9064-e3e8e8486366
  4. taskbar bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taskbar bug: i recently updated to windows 11.but i found that we cant change the taskbar icon size so i used registry editor for that.it solved my problem but gave this bug . can anyone tell how to fix it...
  5. taskbar bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    taskbar bug: i recently updated to windows 11.but i found that we cant change the taskbar icon size so i used registry editor for that.it solved my problem but gave this bug . can anyone tell how to fix it...
  6. Icon Bug on WiFi selection (Rectangle appearing in front of Signal)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icon Bug on WiFi selection (Rectangle appearing in front of Signal): Hey all, I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows from the Microsoft website and installed it on my Thinkpad. The installation went flawlessly and I've installed all the necessary drivers for the Laptop. The only issue I was experiencing was that it kept displaying a...
  7. Icon Bug on WiFi selection (Rectangle appearing in front of Signal)

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Bug on WiFi selection (Rectangle appearing in front of Signal): Hey all, I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows from the Microsoft website and installed it on my Thinkpad. The installation went flawlessly and I've installed all the necessary drivers for the Laptop. The only issue I was experiencing was that it kept displaying a...
  8. Windows taskbar Bug?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows taskbar Bug?: Hello everyone, i am having a HUGE problem with the windows taskbar, any game i play on window mode i have the taskbar showing up, when i have to look down, she appears, and i am able to click on her! When i click on her, she opens a program that i didnt wanted to open and...
  9. Taskbar problems minimizing, switching, bringing window to front issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Taskbar problems minimizing, switching, bringing window to front issue: Okay... This is getting pretty frustrating. I can't multitask like before. Windows/programs/ don't come to the front when I click on their icons in the taskbar. Ex: I have Chrome, WordPad and File Explorer all on my taskbar. I click on File Explorer and it comes to...
  10. Multiple programs taskbar. When one open others do not appear in front

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple programs taskbar. When one open others do not appear in front: Let's say I have 5 programs on my taskbar. IE, calculator, word, excel and ppt. Let's say I have IE open. If I try to click on another program on taskbar, it does not show up over the IE. Same as any other program that is opened, when clicking on the taskbar program it will...