Windows 10: Taskbar buttons (NOT icons) hidden behind cortana search

Discus and support Taskbar buttons (NOT icons) hidden behind cortana search in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hoping this is the right board. A guy in my office just upgraded to windows 10 and it looks completely different from other installations I've seen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by robertgreenstre, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Taskbar buttons (NOT icons) hidden behind cortana search

Hoping this is the right board. A guy in my office just upgraded to windows 10 and it looks completely different from other installations I've seen. The start button isn't the 4 equally-sized rectangles, the top left one is hollow and bigger than the other 3, if that means anything. Anyway, when "use small taskbar buttons" is unchecked in taskbar properties, the first few taskbar buttons are hidden behind the search box on the taskbar. I found this out by accident because I opened one more window and it barely peeked out from the right side of the search box. What can be doing this? BTW this is not the icons in the notification area, these are the program buttons pinned to the taskbar. I specify this because it's only icons that I can find help for anywhere. Oh, also, his start menu doesn't have tiles, it looks almost exactly like the Windows 7 start menu. To me, it's starting to feel like a skin/theme for windows 7, rather than an actual upgrade, and he got taken in by someone, somehow.

:)

robertgreenstre, Oct 8, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

windows 10 cortana pop up

Right click the taskbar, click Cortana or Search, click on Hidden.

lacrumb, Oct 8, 2015
  3. search menu hidden

It's in the Start button's right-click menu (e.g. Win-x S) but you don't need it. Just raise your Taskbar (e.g. press and release the Win- key or press Ctrl-Esc) and start typing. Then you will be "searching".

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Oct 8, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Taskbar buttons (NOT icons) hidden behind cortana search

These look like the symptoms of installing an old version of Classic Shell in Windows 10. If you have, uninstall it and install latest version which support Windows 10 OK. If it is not Classic Shell it could be a similar utility from another programmer. I use latest Classic Shell and have no problems.

spapakons, Oct 10, 2015
  5. Thanks for the idea! I'll check on it tomorrow when I see him.

robertgreenstre, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Taskbar buttons (NOT icons) hidden behind cortana search

1. Taskbar buttons (NOT icons) hidden behind cortana search - Similar Threads - Taskbar buttons icons

2. Taskbar hidden behind other programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar hidden behind other programs: Recently I've ran into the problem where my Taskbar is being blocked/covered by other programs. Some trouble shooting steps I've taken already are, 1. I used task manager and restarted Windows Explorer, 2. I ran CMD in administrator and used "sfc /scannow", and finally I've...
  3. Taskbar hidden behind windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar hidden behind windows: Frequently unable to access Taskbar using mouse/touchpad due to a browser or other maximized program window preventing access.Obviously this makes all shortcuts normally available via Taskbar inaccessible, Major PITA!Reducing* or closing offending browser/program window...
  4. Taskbar hidden behind windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar hidden behind windows: Frequently unable to access Taskbar using mouse/touchpad due to a browser or other maximized program window preventing access.Obviously this makes all shortcuts normally available via Taskbar inaccessible, Major PITA!Reducing* or closing offending browser/program window...
  5. Taskbar hidden behind windows

6. Taskbar hidden behind windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar hidden behind windows: There's an issue with the taskbar's auto-hide feature. At random intervals, the start menu becomes un-openable. Meaning no matter what you do, you cannot access the task bar & start menu using you mouth, because some window covers it.The only way to access the task bar/start...
  7. Taskbar hidden behind windows

Taskbar hidden behind windows: There's an issue with the taskbar's auto-hide feature. At random intervals, the start menu becomes un-openable. Meaning no matter what you do, you cannot access the task bar & start menu using you mouth, because some window covers it.The only way to access the task bar/start...
  8. Taskbar hidden behind windows

9. Putting cortana/search button on taskbar

Putting cortana/search button on taskbar: The past year i personalized entirely my desktop, so to keep things clean, i deactivated all buttons, but somehow i managed to put a shortcut button to the search box in my taskbar (later changed to cortana), having to pin it or drag it from somewhere, but the problems begin...
  10. Small taskbar icons and Cortana search

Small taskbar icons and Cortana search: Hey guys *Smile Have a question! When using “small taskbar icons” is their a way to show the cortana search bar? Thanks, greatly appreciated! 105387

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unreadable taskbar buttons