Windows 10: Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

Discus and support Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large" in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This issue is pretty much the same but it was never resolved. I have been searching for ages and can't find the solution to this problem. I recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DonalGoggin, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

This issue is pretty much the same but it was never resolved.

I have been searching for ages and can't find the solution to this problem. I recently remove all my pinned programs from my taskbar and am now using a quick launch toolbar instead.

This defaults to small icons but there is an option to select large too. The problem is, these icons have padding which makes the taskbar grow slightly when this option is enabled This can be seen in the image below. The gap below the taskbar window icons is how much it grew by. It makes my active window icons have a small gap below them that doesn't extend to the edge of the screen and it has resulted in me clicking the blank space when trying to switch windows, which accomplishes nothing.

Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large" dde74dfc-e94c-4cc9-bd84-58533b00b7e3?upload=true.png

Is there a registry value I can change to lower this height or remove the padding around the "Large Icons" setting for toolbar icons. I think that padding is the root of the problem here.

:)

DonalGoggin, Apr 10, 2020

2. Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

There has been an issue with the Windows taskbar which drives me crazy. It has been a problem since Windows XP and the "skinning" of the underlying user interface controls. It still persists in Windows 10.

When using a Toolbar on the Taskbar and the icon size is set to "small", the clickable targets are smaller than the vertical height of the taskbar. No problem, right? Either make the taskbar icon set to "small" as well and the clickable target area matches.

But what if I like the large buttons to click on? Setting the Toolbar (not taskbar!) icons to Large causes the taskbar vertical height to increase. This is fine for the Toolbar, but the application icons in the Taskbar now have an unclickable space beneath
    them. See image below (not my image... found online when trying to find a solution to this.)

Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large" 6f777bb5-ca6a-4272-baa3-52616c5b675b.png

This doesn't happen in Windows 7 when using the "Windows Classic" scheme... so the problem must derive from the Aero skinning of the taskbar.

To recreate:

• Right click on the taskbar and Unlock it.
    • Ensure taskbar is set to "large icons" mode from Taskbar properties dialog box.
    • Right click an empty area of the taskbar and create a new Toolbar.
    • Right click on the label of the toolbar and choose View > Large Icons
    This wouldn't necessarily be an issue if the clickable region of the Application Icons was the full vertical height of the visible taskbar. It also wouldn't be an issue if the Toolbar "Large Icons" setting didn't have icons bigger than the Application Icons.

If there is a registry hack or other solution PLEASE let me know! I have had this problem with Toolbars since Windows XP, and the Toolbars are essential to my workflow.

Thanks!

spiffyfitz, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

Hi Edjay,

I was able to capture some screenshots from a Windows 10 machine demonstrating the same user interface issue.

Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large" 17f27479-11a3-4d55-8312-882b67dae117.png

In the above image, you can see the Windows 10 taskbar is unlocked (doesn't matter if its locked or unlocked for this to take effect) and the Application icons are set to Large from the control panel. However, the Toolbar on the right has icons set to small,
    and the clickable target area is small and doesn't take up the full height of the taskbar.

Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large" e75f0cf5-0f73-4df1-8655-9bcfe3430575.png

The effect in Windows 10 is even worse than Windows 7... when the toolbar icons are set to "Large"-- the taskbar increases in height by about 12 pixels and as seen in the image above, the Application Icons clickable area doesn't span the full taskbar height.

Since Toolbars are an integral part of the operating system, it blows my mind that nobody has ever come forward and talked about getting this fixed. The same effect happened on Vista and XP as well.

The reason this is a problem is that for fluid operating system usage with a mouse as an input device, there are certain tasks which you don't want precision for. Throughout a day if I click the taskbar 100 times and I have to correct my mouse cursor position
    to hit the target, it adds time and frustration. This seems like a simple 15-year oversight that hasn't been fixed in the windows backend code.

Please help!

spiffyfitz, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Ma. Lau Win User

Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

Small icons setting won't change

I suggest that you change or uncheck Use small taskbar buttons by following the steps below:

• Right-click the Taskbar.
    • Select Properties.
    • In the Taskbar tab make sure that Use small taskbar is
      uncheck

Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large" e377d97f-489c-45cb-8856-ca9160202472.jpg
    • Click Apply and OK.
    If the issue still persists, you can change the size of desktop icons.

• Right-click an empty space on the desktop.
    • Select View and choose either Large, Medium or Small icons.
    • Check if you can change the size of the taskbar button.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

1. Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large" - Similar Threads - Taskbar changes height

2. Changes of Taskbar height – each step too large

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changes of Taskbar height – each step too large: Hello:I have True Launch Bar menus in my taskbar, three rows mentioning the app only if it should be relevant to my Taskbar problem. See attachments for how much extra space there is below the third row. Now, if I shorten the taskbar one step, I get two rows see other...
  3. Changes of Taskbar height – each step too large

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changes of Taskbar height – each step too large: Hello:I have True Launch Bar menus in my taskbar, three rows mentioning the app only if it should be relevant to my Taskbar problem. See attachments for how much extra space there is below the third row. Now, if I shorten the taskbar one step, I get two rows see other...
  4. Changes of Taskbar height – each step too large

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. RDP changing taskbar toolbar icon size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP changing taskbar toolbar icon size: This is very weird, and is only affecting taskbar icons set up in the taskbar, not toolbar icons.If I log directly into the laptop, both icons are displayed as the same small size, as seen below.But if I RDP into the same laptop at a higher resolution, toolbar icons stay the...
  6. RDP changing taskbar toolbar icon size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP changing taskbar toolbar icon size: This is very weird, and is only affecting taskbar icons set up in the taskbar, not toolbar icons.If I log directly into the laptop, both icons are displayed as the same small size, as seen below.But if I RDP into the same laptop at a higher resolution, toolbar icons stay the...
  7. RDP changing taskbar toolbar icon size

8. Is there a way to remove the height padding that comes with large quick launch taskbar icons?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to remove the height padding that comes with large quick launch taskbar icons?: I have been searching for ages and can't find the solution to this problem. I recently remove all my pinned programs from my taskbar and am now using a quick launch toolbar instead. This defaults to small icons but there is an option to select large too. The problem is, once...
  9. Taskbar toolbar Icons

Taskbar toolbar Icons: Hi Ever since I think windows 98, I have had a particular setup on Windows and I am so used to it that I really don't want to change it. I recently bought a Dell laptop and upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro The Setup I have is that I have the task bar on auto-hide on the...
  10. Large space between icons on bottom toolbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Large space between icons on bottom toolbar: Instead of the icons being right next to each other on my bottom toolbar, there is about a one inch gap between them; anyway to get them to be right next to each other, the way they always have been? thanks! 7019