Windows 10: Taskbar color - build 9926

Discus and support Taskbar color - build 9926 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In build 9926 it seems that the Windows Taskbar transparency is gone. Which, for me, is not a good thing. On the positive side, we've gained control... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by begem0t, Jan 28, 2015.

1. begem0t Win User

Taskbar color - build 9926

In build 9926 it seems that the Windows Taskbar transparency is gone. Which, for me, is not a good thing.
    On the positive side, we've gained control over taskbar color through registry keys:
    To change the Taskbar color add DWORD:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarColorOverride
    Format is hex, color foormat is BGR (not RGB, as would be more intuitive)
    To change Plate color (the color under active icon) add DWORD:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TaskbarPlateOverrideColorBGR

Format is hex, color format is BGR (again)
    To change Plate opacity add DWORD
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TaskbarPlateOverrideOpacityA
    Format is decimal, range 0-256

To refresh just press Win key (Open and close Start menu).
    Example registry file (use at your risk and don't blame me for the global warming, etc, etc)
    Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] "TaskbarPlateOverrideColorBGR"=dword:00054de0 "TaskbarPlateOverrideOpacityA"=dword:00000100 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced] "TaskbarColorOverride"=dword:00635a56[/quote]

:)

begem0t, Jan 28, 2015
  2. Cyberkhan Win User

I missed the train!

Hi,

Possibly I'm the last one left behind and the train to reserve my free copy of Win 10 is gone! I upgraded last February Windows 10 build 9926 from Windows 7 ultimate (Service pack 1). My laptop meets all requirements to upgrade. Since the upgrade to build
    9926 until July 29, my further Windows updates to latest builds failed 3 times in the middle of the update process. It could not completed giving error message.

In the taskbar, there is no Windows reservation icon. So can I have any idea that I have missed the reservation for free copy of Windows 10, or if there is any chance and how?

Thanks,

Cyberkhan, Jan 28, 2015
  3. DeeKat Win User
    DeeKat, Jan 28, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

[/quote] Perfect!
    Takes a few tries to nail a specific color doing the RGB thing backwards but eventually you get it.
    Thanks a bunch! *Smile

Edwin, Jan 29, 2015
  5. [/quote] Perfect!
    Takes a few tries to nail a specific color doing the RGB thing backwards but eventually you get it.
    Thanks a bunch! *Smile @Edwin you may also be able to get a color close to what you want by Changing the default Color of the Start Menu & Taskbar in personalization which is a lot easier but more trial and error to find an exact color.

IownAmoneyPit, Jan 29, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, I did that, so to speak but, I wanted the taskbar to be the same shade as the Start Menu, windows borders/headers, etc.

Edwin, Jan 29, 2015
  7. Glad it worked somewhat, if I were to try begem0t's method above I would probably make a mistake somewhere resulting in a refresh. It is a good thing that begem0t is digging into the innards of Win 10 and sharing what is discovered. Hopefully when M$ makes the Start Menu Semi-Transparent as rumored in a future build we will have more control of picking our desired colors for these elements.

8. Edwin New Member

Glad it worked if I were to try begem0t's method above I would probably make a mistake somewhere resulting in a refresh. It is a good thing that begem0t is digging into the innards of Win 10 and sharing what is discovered. Yeah, I don't know where he dug those up but it works. If it doesn't work for you, simple delete the DWORD's you made and all will go back to defaults.
    This is what I've got so far, taskbar and all! Haven't quite nailed all the shades yet.

Taskbar color - build 9926 [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 29, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    Here's what I did:
    I took a snippet of my Start Menu, found the RGB in Windows Paint then entered those 3 values into an online RGB to Hex convertor backwards then pasted the result into the DWORD value field.

Takes a few tries to get it right.

Edwin, Jan 29, 2015
  10. @Edwin I can get my active widow color almost the same as my start by using the brightness slider but then can't read the text so I will have to endure a lighter widow color until M$ fixes this.

Edit: I like what begem0t posted and your solution to make it easier but it is way over my head. I remember it took me lots of careful practice to change a Drive Icon following Brink's Tut step by step.

11. dalpal Win User
    The taskbar plate doesn't seem to change color for me.

dalpal, Aug 1, 2015
  12. begem0t Win User
    The thread is old and relates only to previous insider builds. This tweak is now defunct.

begem0t, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar color - build 9926 - Similar Threads - Taskbar color build

2. Chrome can't update in build 9926

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome can't update in build 9926: Greetings! Chrome can't update after I upgraded to newest build of windows 10 (9926). If I open Chrome menu and select "About Google Chrome", I just get this message: Version 39.0.2171.99 dev-m Updates are disabled by the administrator I have not disabled any...
  3. eM Client under Build 9926

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    eM Client under Build 9926: I've been unable to get eM Client running under 9926. It apparently installs but doesn't run correctly. I don't want to spend a whole lot of effort at this point getting it to run and will put it aside for now. But if someone here has been able to get it to run then I will...
  4. If I install Build 9926

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I install Build 9926: If I install build 9926 will it update straight to 10049? If I choose the fast track? 5142
  5. install win 10 build 9926

install win 10 build 9926: Hi all, downloaded new Build 9926 earlier today as an inplace upgrade. Took the best part of 3 hours from start to finish. All apps, settings and programs the way they were. I went to check whether Cortana was working, but it's not. (Not available in your region) popup. Guess...
  6. Windows 10 Build 10240 not coming through on Build 9926?

Windows 10 Build 10240 not coming through on Build 9926?: I am currently running Windows 10 Build 9926 due to having issues installing Build 10162 using a USB. I had Build 9926 installed before and successfully updated to 10162 however a failed graphics driver install forced me to reinstall and since Microsoft pulled build updates a...
  7. my experience upgrading Win7 box to build 9926

my experience upgrading Win7 box to build 9926: I tried it an old PC that has lots of software and has some low-level things like Boxcryptor (which creates a virtual drive) and software that requires activation. I first took a backup using Macrium Reflect so I could restore if possible. The system has an old Intel Core Duo...
  8. updates for build 9926 Manual link

updates for build 9926 Manual link: Hi there Here's a Link to some updates for release 9926 in case you can't install via windows update. Windows 10 Technical Preview January Update Rollup (Not sure if the site rendering is working properly !!! but the link seems OK !!!). Cheers jimbo 3667
  9. Unable to upgrade from build 9926 to anything

Unable to upgrade from build 9926 to anything: So I have had build 9926 for sometime and felt now would be a good time to upgrade...(been away traveling). First I attempted standard windows update but this simply tells me everything is up to date. I found an article to clear the update cache /reboot / and try again. This...
  10. Stuck on Build 9926, can't upgrade

Stuck on Build 9926, can't upgrade: Been using Windows 10 Tech Preview on and off since it first came out last year. Have been busy lately so haven't been able to keep up to date with updates. Want to upgrade to Build 10240 but Windows Updates isn't detecting there is a new build available. Have Microsoft...