Windows 10: Taskbar doesn't stay on 2nd display after user switching

Discus and support Taskbar doesn't stay on 2nd display after user switching in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I have a problem with my taskbar. I have 2 monitors and I like to keep the taskbar on the secondary display, vertically at the right hand side... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rootsrat, Aug 8, 2015.

1. rootsrat Win User

Taskbar doesn't stay on 2nd display after user switching

Hello

I have a problem with my taskbar. I have 2 monitors and I like to keep the taskbar on the secondary display, vertically at the right hand side of the screen. My other half has a separate account on our PC and she has the taskbar the same way.

When she logs in to her account while I'm still logged in and then when I switch back to my profile, the taskbar is being moved from display 2 back to display 1 - however it stays vertically on the right hand side. I.e. Windows can't seem to remember which display the taskbar is on, but it can remember the location of the taskbar.

Can anyone help me to resolve this or is it just a bug?

Thanks!

My system spec:

Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4590 @ 3.30GHz
    RAM
    Corsair Vengeance 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821)
    Display
    Acer X233H (1920x1080@60Hz)
    AH191 (1440x900@60Hz)
    Graphics
    4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    Storage
    256 GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SSD) (System drive)
    64 GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series (SSD)
    256 GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SSD)
    1.5 TB Seagate ST31500341AS (SATA)
    1.0 TB Western Digital WD My Passport 0810 USB Device (SSD)
    3.0 TB WD MyCloud

:)

rootsrat, Aug 8, 2015
  2. clchen711 Win User

Windows 10 shows the 2nd monitor has 1920x1080 but actually is less than 50% around 1080x840

The resolution of the 2nd monitor, a Vizio VF551XVT 55-inch 1920x1080 HDTV connected through HDMI cable, shows 1920x1080 (Recommended) on the Windows 10’s Display Screen Resolution setting utility but the true resolution of the 2nd monitor is less than
    50%; around 1080x840. All applications on the 2nd monitor displayed their header & boarder frames twice wider on screen, which waste/occupy lots of the 2nd monitor’s display area. Please help solving this critical lower than the set/expected 2nd monitor screen
    resolution problem. Thanks.

The 1st/primary monitor in this case is a mobile PC Display (1920x1080), Lenovo Z710 Intel i7 4710MQ notebook with NVIDIA 840M graphic processor. Previously running under the Windows 8.1 OS with the same configuration, the 2nd monitor resolution also was
    displayed incorrectly but just initially right after the Windows 8.1 reboot, i.e. 2nd monitor shows 1920x1080 resolution but actually the 2nd monitor is about the same as Windows 10, display resolution is much/50% fewer than 1920x1080. However, the resolution
    of the 2nd monitor (HDTV) under Windows 8.1 can be corrected (worked around) by switching the main display from 1st to 2nd monitor, then switching main display back from 2nd to 1st, but in Windows 10 OS seems no work around.

Also
    1) Please advise if Windows 10 can fix the application displays re-position issue when the develop support team fix the Windows 10 incorrect display 2nd monitor resolution problem above. The re-position issue is, when a TV, DVR, Xbox, and PC, shared 2nd
    monitor is disconnected to watching TV, etc., Windows OS currently moves all the application display positions, both active and minimized displays, from 2nd monitor to 1st/main screen/monitor, but ideally would be just moving/re-aligning the active displays
    to the main/1st monitor and maintain/leave those minimized display positions intact, so when 2nd monitor reconnects back (done watching TV, DVR, Xbox), user doesn’t need to re-align all the displays back for 2nd monitor again, user can just click/activate
    those minimized displays to show/run displays at their previous positions if Windows OS knows to keep them intact.

2) Please advise how does Windows allow user to select/choose which monitor to display the media at full screen. currently Windows OS seems displaying almost all apps’ full screen mode at 1st/main monitor. It seems not easy/possible for users to show slideshows
    at the 2nd monitor or/and switch between monitors. One way to make monitor selection easy could be displaying the full screen at the same monitor that the app is displaying prior to switching the app to the full screen mode - in my two cents.

Thanks in advance for the helps.

clchen711, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Taskbar customization is lost after sleep/resume and/or change of external display

I use to have 2 lines of icons on my taskbar at the bottom instead of the default 1 line. This can easily be set up by dragging the top of the taskbar-line upwards until 2 lines of icons are showing up. Then, I "lock" the taskbar, so it stays this way. This
    worked fine in Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1. However, in Windows 10 this setting is NOT preserved.

After some time, usually after doing some switching of displays (from "duplicate" to "extend") or after waking up the pc from sleep after locking it with Windows+L, the display shows only 1 line of icons on the taskbar.

I can then repeat the process: unlock the taskbar, make it bigger and lock it again - but after some sleep/resume it defaults back to 1 line.

Is this a known bug and will it be fixed anytime soon? It's quite annoying...

Martin Born, Aug 8, 2015
  4. rootsrat Win User

Apologies for the bump, but is anyone able to help with the above? Thanks.

rootsrat, Aug 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Taskbar doesn't stay on 2nd display after user switching - Similar Threads - Taskbar doesn't stay

2. Rearranging 2nd Display Doesn't Rearrange Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rearranging 2nd Display Doesn't Rearrange Icons: My 2nd monitor is to the right of my main monitor. I have icons on that monitor. When I go to the office, my 2nd monitor is above my main monitor. But when I rearrange the 2nd display to be above, the desktop items don't follow. They just disappear. How do I rearrange the...
  3. Rearranging 2nd Display Doesn't Rearrange Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rearranging 2nd Display Doesn't Rearrange Icons: My 2nd monitor is to the right of my main monitor. I have icons on that monitor. When I go to the office, my 2nd monitor is above my main monitor. But when I rearrange the 2nd display to be above, the desktop items don't follow. They just disappear. How do I rearrange the...
  4. Display configuration not staying per user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display configuration not staying per user: Good morning,Our Communications Center has several dispatchers sharing two computers. Each has their own profile and login credentials.One Dispatcher likes her monitors arranged differently than everyone else. So when she logs in she rearranges the displays the way she likes...
  5. Display configuration not staying per user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display configuration not staying per user: Good morning,Our Communications Center has several dispatchers sharing two computers. Each has their own profile and login credentials.One Dispatcher likes her monitors arranged differently than everyone else. So when she logs in she rearranges the displays the way she likes...
  6. Display configuration not staying per user

7. Taskbar not working for 2nd user loging in doesn't matter which user

Taskbar not working for 2nd user loging in doesn't matter which user: Since some month now i faced the follwong problem: If a 2nd user wants to login while another just locked the session this user won't have a working taskbar click on start shortly blacksout screen, hover over taskbar shows loading spinner, no icon but the defaults are loaded....
  8. Icon doesn't stay pinned to the TaskBar

Icon doesn't stay pinned to the TaskBar: I saw threads from 2017 about this and they were closed. I have to say that today everything updated as of the creation of this thread that for instance, Messenger beta pinned to the Taskbar from the Start menu, will be pinned ok but after closing the app, the icon goes away...
  9. Extended display doesn't stay extended

Extended display doesn't stay extended: I have a second monitor connected to my Surface Pro and I set the display settings to Extend Display. When I lock my computer or shut it off, the display resets. Every time I unlock my computer I have to re-setup the Extended Display. This never happened when I had my docking...
  10. Windows 10 doesn't use taskbar configuration on multiple displays after switching between...

Windows 10 doesn't use taskbar configuration on multiple displays after switching between...: Hello, I've 2 screens connected to my PC. My PC has two users with 2 different accounts MS accounts not local. I've set up the taskbar configuration I want on my account 1st. The configuration is working fine even if I reboot the computer, but if I log into 2nd account...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbar doesnt retain position between user switch