Windows 10: Taskbar & File Explorer Keep resetting almost everytime I open a file & won't let me search...

Discus and support Taskbar & File Explorer Keep resetting almost everytime I open a file & won't let me search... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; HI first post so bare with me. I never had an issue like this with my laptop & I've gone through dozens of websites attempting fixes & nothing is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MrE11, Feb 19, 2021.

1. MrE11 Win User

Taskbar & File Explorer Keep resetting almost everytime I open a file & won't let me search...

HI first post so bare with me. I never had an issue like this with my laptop & I've gone through dozens of websites attempting fixes & nothing is working. Basically, if I open any file in my documents be it PowerPoint, Word, Notepad, Photos or anything else my taskbar will refresh. It doesn't take long to refresh & my computer ISN'T being slow. On top of that I can't search in my Taskbar as when I click on it it attempts to load it once & doesn't then never responds to any subsequent clicks or attempts to type. Likewise File Explorer won't let me search in my documents acting the exact same way. It may be worth noting that everytime Taskbar refreshes the only thing it closes is File Explorer. This only started a couple days or so ago after the last update so I don't know if that's a connection or a coincidence. Also for what it's worth I have plenty of hard drive space left as well 5.something out of 8.something if I remember.

As for what I've tried, I've been in Task Manager & done various resets in there. I've done resets that involved restarting my computer also. I've also attempted fixes through both Run & cmd to no success. So anything that can be done to help will be appreciated.

:)

MrE11, Feb 19, 2021
  2. ME_555 Win User

File Explorer STILL not opening

Greetings,

File Explorer has not been opening for at least a month. I have followed Microsoft's given steps in Fix
    File Explorer if it won't open or start
    multiple times with no success. Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks, Matt

ME_555, Feb 19, 2021
  3. mouse right click will not open my file explorer in taskbar

Hello Carl,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What happens when you left clicking?
    • When you say right click, do you actually mean left click?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried to resolve this issue?

Left clicking with mouse will open File explorer or any other programs. Whereas right click will give you context menu.

I suggest you to right-click on the File Explorer
    on the task bar and select Unpin from Taskbar. Now in the search bar type
    File Explorer and right click on it and select Pin it to Taskbar
    and check if it helps.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Feb 19, 2021
  4. razghost Win User

Taskbar & File Explorer Keep resetting almost everytime I open a file & won't let me search...

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

1. Taskbar & File Explorer Keep resetting almost everytime I open a file & won't let me search... - Similar Threads - Taskbar File Explorer

2. I can see the files in the zip folder but it won't let me open the file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can see the files in the zip folder but it won't let me open the file.: I have a zip folder and I can't open the files inside to print or convert to adobe. How can I open the files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-see-the-files-in-the-zip-folder-but-it-wont/d333f285-099c-4d58-a126-d6fb6ff850d5
  3. I can see the files in the zip folder but it won't let me open the file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can see the files in the zip folder but it won't let me open the file.: I have a zip folder and I can't open the files inside to print or convert to adobe. How can I open the files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-see-the-files-in-the-zip-folder-but-it-wont/d333f285-099c-4d58-a126-d6fb6ff850d5
  4. I can see the files in the zip folder but it won't let me open the file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Taskbar keeps 'resetting' when I click into file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar keeps 'resetting' when I click into file explorer: Whenever I click into files on my taskbar, and click around said opened file window, the taskbar closes the folder and 'resets itself'. Ie it halts, disappears and reappears. I simply can't use it and it's driving me INSANE.https://imgur.com/gallery/zWccLYh had to film on...
  6. Taskbar keeps 'resetting' when I click into file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar keeps 'resetting' when I click into file explorer: Whenever I click into files on my taskbar, and click around said opened file window, the taskbar closes the folder and 'resets itself'. Ie it halts, disappears and reappears. I simply can't use it and it's driving me INSANE.https://imgur.com/gallery/zWccLYh had to film on...
  7. File Explorer wont let me open a file with a different program

File Explorer wont let me open a file with a different program: This MC shaders had something I needed to fix, but when i was going to fix it i accidentally chose my browser, and now it wont let me change programs. how do i fix this? [ATTACH]...
  8. Files Explorer won't open files

Files Explorer won't open files: So this has been an issue today. I try to open a file in Files explorer, then it just freezes and show my mouse cursor as on blue loading circle. Please help!...
  9. File explorer not letting me search

File explorer not letting me search: Hey so basically the issue is every time i try to search, ill go to click the search bar, the cursor does change to the the cursor when you go to type, but when i click nothing happens im really stressed out over this please help....
  10. Windows won't let me reset AND keep my files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't let me reset AND keep my files: So a few days back, my laptop asked for a restart after an upgrade and since then, it was displaying the error 0xc0000225. I managed to create an installation usb to repair my computer. Everything was going fine until it got stuck while resetting. When I try to boot again,...