Windows 10: Taskbar icons and desktop icons are flashing on Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Taskbar icons and desktop icons are flashing on Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I stop the taskbar and desktop icons from flashing?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RealtorWW, Nov 17, 2020.

1. RealtorWW Win User

Taskbar icons and desktop icons are flashing on Windows 10 Home

How do I stop the taskbar and desktop icons from flashing?

:)

RealtorWW, Nov 17, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Nov 17, 2020
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Nov 17, 2020
  4. VinceB Win User

Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously

Hi:

I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen, and several icons for programs and for File Manager, that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10 version 1803 installed on 5/19/2018, and am getting updates automatically from Microsoft.

Observations:

When booting the PC, after the login screen, it is taking an unusual amount of time to load the "image" part of the desktop icons; sometimes, the filenames' text appear first and quickly, and then a delay occurs before the icon images are "painted" onto the monitor's screen. I also noticed that while having File Manager opened, the same file names blink in the directory structure pane, at the far left.
    I have allowed the PC to run overnight, and, upon returning and making use of browser for a period of approximately ten minutes, Windows crashes: the flashing taskbar icons disappear and are replaced with blank, box outlines; there is no response when clicking on a desktop icon or on a pinned taskbar's blank box; this happened several times; I had to reboot PC to regain control of taskbar and desktop icons.

What I have tried thus far and results:

1. I ran the inbuilt DELL diagnostics, and all hardware passed the "thorough" tests.
    2. I followed instructions given in this YouTube video: Windows 10 - How to Fix Screen Flashing and Flickering Issue - YouTube, and by using msconfig, to locate and uncheck the boxes for two services: (1) WindowsErrorReporting and (2) ProblemsReportandSolutions.
    I also uninstalled iCloud, which was suggested in that same YouTube video. But the flashing continues. This was done during Windows normal mode (while icons were blinking).
    I then performed these same steps while in Windows Safe Mode with Networking​; same results: flashing continues. (I struggle each time I atempt to find Windows Safe Mode booting.)

So, it does not appear that the (1) and (2) services nor iCloud are the cause of this problem.

3. I followed instructions given in this YouTube video: Disable Flashing Taskbar buttons or icons on Windows 10 taskbar - YouTube, and using regedit to locate (1) ForegroundFlashCount (set at 7h) and (2) ForegroundLockTimeout (set at 30d40h) and reset each of those to 0 (zero). The result of doing that is no improvement/change in the flashing icons. Have since reset these two services to 7h and 30d40h.

So, it appears that hacking those REG DWORDs has not helped me.

4. I also used Windows Restore to go back to 4 OCT 2018. That has not helped, either.
    5. While running Windows in Normal Mode, I have stopped the Windows Search service using Administrator Tools>Services, but did not help. Have restarted the Windows Search service.
    6. At some point along the line, I ran System File Check routine; found no errors. Ran DMIS(?);found no problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

TNX.

VinceB, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Taskbar icons and desktop icons are flashing on Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Taskbar icons desktop

2. Disable taskbar icon flashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable taskbar icon flashing: Hello,I am trying to disable the annoying flashing in the taskbar. I have found multiple articles online asking the same thing and none of the steps have worked. Here is what I tried.1 Disable "show badges on taskbard buttons"2 Change the registry key valuesNone of the above...
  3. Disable taskbar icon flashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable taskbar icon flashing: Hello,I am trying to disable the annoying flashing in the taskbar. I have found multiple articles online asking the same thing and none of the steps have worked. Here is what I tried.1 Disable "show badges on taskbard buttons"2 Change the registry key valuesNone of the above...
  4. Disable taskbar icon flashing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Orange Flashing Icon in Taskbar Windows 10

Orange Flashing Icon in Taskbar Windows 10: Whenever there is a notification form any application, it flashes in taskbar in orange colour. Like I use MS teams for my classes. Whenever there is a notification, it flashes orange in the taskbar and it won't stop until we actually open that windows. It really irritates me...
  6. Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking

Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking: Icons on desktop have become enlarged and they flash periodically along with the taskbar. I'm not able to open the start menu at all. In safe mode it doesn't flash but the warning "The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application..." keeps popping...
  7. Taskbar icon flashing

Taskbar icon flashing: When you start a program in Windows, the icon on the taskbar flashes Orange, presumably to alert you that it's open (as though you did not know already that XD). I want it to not do that. It is incredibly distracting, and not very user-friendly trying to work and iTunes or...
  8. Taskbar icons flashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Taskbar icons flashing: Hi everyone, I have a problem I hope you can help me to solve it. Whenever I open Windows Explorer, go to any folder which contains a .avi video file, the taskbar icons will start flashing or blinking non stop. As soon as I close the Explorer, the blinking stops. Please help!...
  9. Desktop Icons and Taskbar icons flashing constantly - only when PDFs icons are present

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar icons flashing constantly - only when PDFs icons are present: Hello, I have an incredibly strange issue. Whenever I open Windows Explorer, and navigate to a folder that has a PDF document in it, all icons flash continuously. Including desktop icons, taskbar icons, and icons next to file names in explorer. This does NOT happen if I...
  10. Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously: Hi: I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen, and several icons for programs and for File Manager, that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 regedit badge flashing