Windows 10: Taskbar is not working correctly, right clicking taskbar and selecting an option does not work.

Discus and support Taskbar is not working correctly, right clicking taskbar and selecting an option does not work. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I encountered a weird issue with Win10. So, this has happened to me on version 1903 and 1909. In 1909 every time this issue popped up, I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by oresponsavel, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Taskbar is not working correctly, right clicking taskbar and selecting an option does not work.

Hello, I encountered a weird issue with Win10. So, this has happened to me on version 1903 and 1909. In 1909 every time this issue popped up, I would just do an in-place upgrade, and that would solve it. When I upgraded to 2004 though, the issue reappeared and I am unable to correct it.

A few notes.

• I did a clean install too. The issue persisted, and seems to occur randomly after installing an app. Example: I installed ROG Game Center, no issue, then installed Office, and the issue appears. Sometimes happens the other way around too.

• I am Portuguese, and I am at this time trying to rule out a localization problem.

• I talked to MS support, both level 1 and level 2, and the issue remains unresolved, and all the solutions that were provided by MS Support were things I already tried create new user, in place upgrade, clean install, DISM commands, etc.

• SFC /Scannow comes up with no corruption

• Hidden Admin Account Works fine, and I will have to test to see if I can install all programs via that account and see if it breaks the taskbar.

• My system originally came with no OS. It's a 2017 ROG STRIX GL703GM

• Specs:

• Intel i7-8750H

• nVidia GTX 1060

• 16GB RAM

• UEFI Updated 5/5/2020

• Running Windows 10 Pro Retail

• 256SSD and a 1TB SHD

• The videos shown here are from the US locale version. I will test on a clean PT-PT locale, directly on 2004 and on 1909.

• I also tried to do something weird to fix it, tried a clean install of a US Localized version of 1809, then consequently upgraded it to 2004. But the issue appeared on 1809 the same thing, just with no message, then the message appeared on 1903 see video, it's basically the same in 1903/1909/2004.

More notes

• DISM is not able to correct the issue. Even when using an image that I know it is working, such as an install media. This happens on 2004
    • DISM is able to correct the issue using an install media on version 1909, at least in a US Localization did not test on PT Locale.
    • At this time I am testing to see if installing in the admin account breaks the taskbar.
    Reproducing the bug

• This bug occurs when, for example, I right click the file explorer pin on the taskbar and then select for example, Desktop. I left click it and it pops up a message stating that "the item you selected is unavailable". And that happens for every single shortcut. On Microsoft Edge Legacy right clicking it and left clicking on a task works. But if I click on a recent page that was opened, it states the same message

• Also, when right clicking on the pin, and then left clicking on the pinned app see second video it will not open said app. But if I left click the pin, the app opens normally.

I've tried everything, and I'm just waiting for the media tool 2004 to create a USB drive so I can do a clean install of 2004 in the Portugal Locale. I also have a second HDD on the system, I haven't tried clearing it as well, to test, but it should not impact the installs and it should not affect the corruption, but I'll have to test it correctly, when I back up everything that's there.

I'm hoping that posting here will maybe get someone that had this to share their solution with me or see what I can do to do this. Please see the videos attached.

:)

oresponsavel, Jun 13, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Taskbar not working

Hello, there are so many threads on this topic, which can readily be found using the white search box at the top.

Here are a few I've found for you. I suggest you work through these, and if no success, please list everything you've tried and post back. Good luck!

Solved Start Button and taskbar not working - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums
    Taskbar/Start button not working! - Page 15 - Windows 10 Forums
    Start button right clicking on taskbar icons suddenly does not work - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

4. Simca Win User

Taskbar is not working correctly, right clicking taskbar and selecting an option does not work.

Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Not Opening with any

Registered to say I have the same problem and to give as much detail as possible.

In case anyone has a problem understanding the OP's description of the issue, it's fairly simple:
    1. Right-click on File Explorer icon on Taskbar.
    2. Left-click any location under 'Pinned' or 'Recent'.
    3. The menu closes as it should, but no Explorer window opens at all.

Notes:
    • The only option under the File Explorer taskbar icon that works is the option called 'File Explorer', which just brings you to Quick Access.
    • Instead of left-clicking on a location under 'Pinned' or 'Recent', you can also right-click and select 'Open'. However, this ALSO does not work.
    • All functionality besides opening Explorer windows works, including right-clicking a location and selecting 'Properties'. (Given that the whole point is to open Explorer windows though, this seriously damages the usefulness of it.)
    • Unpinning File Explorer from the Taskbar and then repinning it does not help.
    • I've even tried unpinning File Explorer from the Taskbar, deleting it from C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Taskbar\, restarting the computer, and pinning a new window. The problem persists.
    • ALL other taskbar icons' menus work fine, including ones that did not work properly for me on Windows 8.1 (Skype's menu options wouldn't work for me on 8.1 and they work fine on 10).

Simca, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

Taskbar is not working correctly, right clicking taskbar and selecting an option does not work.

1. Taskbar is not working correctly, right clicking taskbar and selecting an option does not work. - Similar Threads - Taskbar working correctly

2. right-click on taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    right-click on taskbar not working: Did a little googling but no joy. If I right-click on date or icons for the running programs nothing happens. When I right-click on an empty bit of taskbar it works fine. Thinking I need to do an in-place install but would rather not not totally sure if it's a good idea....
  3. right-click on taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    right-click on taskbar not working: Did a little googling but no joy. If I right-click on date or icons for the running programs nothing happens. When I right-click on an empty bit of taskbar it works fine. Thinking I need to do an in-place install but would rather not not totally sure if it's a good idea....
  4. right-click on taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Taskbar does not work when clicked

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar does not work when clicked: I want to ask, why the start menu, cortana, WiFi, and the sound in the Windows 10 taskbar can't be clicked (clicked but nothing happens). And how to solve this problem. Chronology before the problem occurs: before this problem occurred, yesterday night windows did an...
  6. Right click on taskbar icons not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Right click on taskbar icons not working: After windows 2004 update and some other updates right click on taskbar icons not working. I tried several solutions with powershell or with repair install but no luck. I am trying to avoid clean install, I think that the problem is coming with some cumulative. Any solution...
  7. Right-Click not working in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-Click not working in Taskbar: Welcome to another episode of "The Computer Illiterate Electrical Engineer"... Running W10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.959) on a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086. I just noticed the right click button on my touchpad will not allow me to access menus for taskbar icons. I just...
  8. Taskbar is not working correctly, right clicking taskbar and selecting an option does not work.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar is not working correctly, right clicking taskbar and selecting an option does not work.: Hello, I encountered a weird issue with Win10. So, this has happened to me on version 1903 and 1909. In 1909 every time this issue popped up, I would just do an in-place upgrade, and that would solve it. When I upgraded to 2004 though, the issue reappeared and I am unable to...
  9. Taskbar Pinned Apps do not work correctly when right clicking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Pinned Apps do not work correctly when right clicking: Hello! A little context. This has been happening since the update. I'm use Windows 10 Pro 1903, and for some reason the shortcuts on pinned apps have ceased to function. I tried every possible solution. I tried the Powershell " Get-AppxPackage -allusers | foreach...
  10. taskbar open windows right click does not work

in Windows 10 Support
    taskbar open windows right click does not work: every time i have some windows open on the task bar the right click function does not open the context window, meaning i want to be able to close the window. ive tired shellex view not sure which ones to disable that maybe causing the issue. 35648