Windows 10: Taskbar is not working until a restart of windows explorer

Discus and support Taskbar is not working until a restart of windows explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Whenever I restart my computer (mostly after a windows update), the taskbar does not work (clicks on the icons/clock/notifications do nothing)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by amos, Dec 16, 2016.

1. amos Win User

Taskbar is not working until a restart of windows explorer

Hi

Whenever I restart my computer (mostly after a windows update), the taskbar does not work (clicks on the icons/clock/notifications do nothing) and if I click on the start button, I get a popup saying there was a problem and I should sign out and sign back in to solve this problem.

Doing so over and over again does not help. The only way to make it work is to restart "windows explorer.exe" from the task manager, then everything goes back to normal until the next restart.

Any ideas what can be the problem?
    Searching the internet led me only to "explorer crashes/restart often" and I don't have this problem.
    Thanks

:)

2. Sometimes can't open File Explorer from the bottom taskbar (Windows 10)

Sometimes, all of a sudden, I can't open File Explorer from the bottom taskbar. If I left click on it, nothing happens. If I right click and then choose "File Explorer" or "Documents" or "Pictures" or any of the choices, nothing happens either. If I unpin
    it and then pin it again, it still does not work. The other icons on the taskbar work fine. Opening File Explorer from the Start Menu does work normally, however. Restarting the computer fixes the taskbar File Explorer icon problem, but only until it randomly
    happens again. How do I fix this problem whenever it happens, but without having to restart the computer?

Nam-Nguyen, Dec 16, 2016
  3. Zxxl Win User
    Auto hide taskbar is NOT working!

I'm another user with a taskbar problem. Auto hide works OK but............if the taskbar is placed at the bottom of the screen it will not reappear when the computer wakes from sleep mode until I open the task manager and restart Windows Explorer. Then
    the taskbar will work properly until the computer goes into sleep mode again.

The problem does not appear if I keep the taskbar pinned to the left side of the screen but that is not where I like to keep it. I have seen one other post from an individual with exactly the same situation. It appears that Windows 10 with some hardware
    configurations has a problem with the taskbar. I say, with some configurations, because I have a second computer running Windows 10 that does not have a taskbar problem.

4. Taskbar is not working until a restart of windows explorer

There are threads within this forum on the task bar however I'm not sure any of them had a straight forward do this and that and it will be fixed.

To help identify some patterns would you mind posting which build you are on? Do you sign in with a local id or a Microsoft id? Have you tried creating another user on your device and see if that user has the same issue. OldGuyGeek just recently posted a method to move your id and contents.

If you use this options I would caution you to understand what programs store data down the appdata folder. I know firefox, thunderbird and outlook and onenote store user files down through this folder.

First things first. Would would mind sharing the above info. Thanks.

Just looking my self. Dalchina posted this link.

FIX - Windows 10 Taskbar Not Functioning - Microsoft Community

Caledon Ken, Dec 16, 2016
  5. amos Win User
    Thank you for your reply.
    I'm using the anniversary update (including the latest update). Actually the problem started after upgrading the anniversary one but after 2-3 sign out/in, it worked and only the search didn't. Lately it started showing the symptoms I described above and lately I realized that restarting windows explorer actually does the trick.

I use a local username, no network here. I didn't try creating a new user, I hope I won't need to come to that.

I ran the command from the link you gave, got 4 errors about the version already installed and all others seem to be installed successfully, it seems to extract successfully. I didn't understand if it suppose to fix it completely or just when it happens, I guess I will find out next time I will do a restart.

6. amos Win User
    A small update: Now I get a new one where sometimes (not sure why), I need to click the start menu/search twice for them to work, as if the first click gives them focus and the other one actually does the click itself.... I didn't restart yet

amos, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Taskbar is not working until a restart of windows explorer

1. Taskbar is not working until a restart of windows explorer - Similar Threads - Taskbar working until

2. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: Anyone find a solution for this issue? Previous thread now locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-drives-not-showing-in-explorer-until/dcb20da0-a0b5-4ba9-a535-6af713e2041a?auth=1...
  3. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: Anyone find a solution for this issue? Previous thread now locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-drives-not-showing-in-explorer-until/dcb20da0-a0b5-4ba9-a535-6af713e2041a?auth=1...
  4. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Upon restart taskbar frozen until interacted with

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Upon restart taskbar frozen until interacted with: Hello.I have been trying to diagnose what is causing an issue that started recently.The issue is as follows:- Firstly when booting up, and Windows is logging in the user, the log-in process takes longer than usual 20 seconds or so compared to about 5 seconds previously.-...
  6. Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted

Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted: I have a few machines in our network that can not view our mapped drives until their explorer.exe are restarted. They are receiving mapped drives via a GPO through update. I have tried setting my registry entry to...
  7. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: When I map drives through the UI on explorer I can't see them until explorer.exe is killed and restarted or a reboot I tried setting the registry entry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLinkedConnections to a DWORD...
  8. Mapped drives don't show in Explorer until Explorer restarted

Mapped drives don't show in Explorer until Explorer restarted: Hi there, I've been experiencing a strange issue lately for multiple users. First, our drives are mapped via GPO. All drives map settings in the policy are consistent for all drives. A mapped network drive is not visible at all in Explorer. Other drives are visible...
  9. Windows explorer getting choppier and choppier until I restart it...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows explorer getting choppier and choppier until I restart it...: So, I have this weird issue since I have built my pc. Everything works properly, except that after say, an hour or so, folder windows get choppy when I move them around, the task bar as well (when it pops up from the bottom), and some application windows (like telegram or...
  10. Video not working until restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video not working until restart: I have had this problem since I did a fresh install of Windows 10 1809, I have since updated to 1903 and the problem persists. When I start up my computer I open a video file and the computer freezes for around 15 seconds and then sometimes it will play and sometimes it is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop icons hidden untill explorer is restarted