Windows 10: Taskbar overlapped by maximized windows. How to?

Discus and support Taskbar overlapped by maximized windows. How to? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm unhappy with the taskbar because it always takes space on my 14 inch laptop. 14 inch is already pretty small, so having the taskbar always take up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Marron Win User

Taskbar overlapped by maximized windows. How to?

I'm unhappy with the taskbar because it always takes space on my 14 inch laptop. 14 inch is already pretty small, so having the taskbar always take up space is inefficient.

The behavior that I'm looking for is simple: If I maximize a window, it should maximize over the taskbar, and if I press the "win" key the taskbar comes on top. How can I get that behavior?

Thank you for your help.
    Wish you all the best,
    God bless!

:)

Marron, Apr 4, 2017
  2. lacrumb Win User

Office and Firefox don't maximize the window correctly

Your pictures show that they are not maximized but minimized(reduced). To maximize click on the square at the top right. If maximized this will show as double overlapping boxes.

Also you should check the edge and see it you get double arrows and can drag wider.

lacrumb, Apr 4, 2017
  3. zamek7 Win User
    maximize/ restore button not working in any programs opened in windows 10

all programs open in maximized or full screen mode

can't unmaximize window by clicking on maximize/ restore button (the middle button with the 2 overlapping squares, upper right side of each window)

the minimize (-) and close (x) button do work

zamek7, Apr 4, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Not quite what you are asking for @Marron, but has the same effect letting a window make maximum use of the screen area:
    Settings > Personalisation > Taskbar - turn on 'Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode' and/or '...in tablet mode'.

Taskbar then only pops up if your mouse cursor is at the bottom of the screen, you press WinKey, etc.

Bree, Apr 4, 2017
  5. TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    And don't confuse Maximized with Full Screen, separate things. Full Screen is obtained by pressing F11, does remove/obscure most things such as Toolbars and the Taskbar. Pressing F11 again toggles back to normal view. As mentioned there's also the Auto Hide Taskbar in Settings.
    Pressing F11 does accomplish that.

Berton, Apr 4, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    That's just for browsers, isn't it?

Bree, Apr 4, 2017
  8. Marron Win User

This is probably as close as it can get to what I'm looking for using default windows controls. The problem I have with this is that when I press the windows key it doesn't come up instantly, and when I get my cursor close to the top it pops up (even if I get my cursor to the top just to press the 'x' button to close a window). I used to achieve this behavior using 7-taskbar-tweaker, but it no longer works well to do that because of some windows updates.

I'm still looking for a good way to achieve this.

Marron, Apr 4, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    Appears to be but also may work in other programs, probably dependent upon how programs are coded. MSPaint shows only a white panel in the center, WordPerfect uses F11 to open its file management feature, Microsoft Word 2013 doesn't recognize it.

Berton, Apr 4, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Then it's probably better to place the taskbar at the bottom if you use this method. Unlock the taskbar (if it's currently locked) and drag it to the bottom.

Thema:

1. Taskbar overlapped by maximized windows. How to? - Similar Threads - Taskbar overlapped maximized

2. Labels overlapping in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Labels overlapping in taskbar: Why the labels are on top of each other as in the screenshot? This happens once or twice per week. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/labels-overlapping-in-taskbar/847a021c-2e7e-4dd0-8980-a056a59dde65
  3. Labels overlapping in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Labels overlapping in taskbar: Why the labels are on top of each other as in the screenshot? This happens once or twice per week. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/labels-overlapping-in-taskbar/847a021c-2e7e-4dd0-8980-a056a59dde65
  4. Taskbar icons overlapping

Taskbar icons overlapping: Hi so this bug normally happens when I close or open a new window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-overlapping/635565eb-b0c1-4a56-9bb5-384d0588c921
  5. Taskbar overlap

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar overlap: Hello everyone The taskbar in my laptop overlaps Windows. I could not even minimize it even after unlocking the taskbar. Does anyone have a solution to this issue ? Screenshot attached below...
  6. Taskbar overlap

Taskbar overlap: Hello everyone The taskbar in my laptop overlaps Windows. I could not even minimize it even after unlocking the taskbar. Does anyone have a solution to this issue ? Screenshot attached below...
  7. Windows 10 taskbar overlaps maximized windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 taskbar overlaps maximized windows: Hi, so I pretty much explained it. Restarting Windows Explorer doesn't help every time more like once in 10 tries, moving taskbar to different places on screen doesn't help either. I have to restart computer couple of times yes, one usually doesn't help for it to actually...
  8. Maximized window overlapping taskbar (or vice versa)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Maximized window overlapping taskbar (or vice versa): Hi People, Ever since i switched back to windows, this overlap has been bugging me. It's not killing but.it.IS.there! Searched the web like many others but couldn't find a solution, merely, a work-around or temporary solution. Things like autohide taskbar on/off. Place...
  9. Maximized windows overlapping taskbar

Maximized windows overlapping taskbar: Im currently using StartIsBack to customize the look of my desktop, but I want to make it so that the taskbar only stays on the desktop, similar to how rainmeter skins work, where you have the option to set it as always on top or only on desktop. Is this possible? submitted...
  10. taskbar and maximizing windows

taskbar and maximizing windows: I'm experiencing an issue where sometimes you will click on the program icon on the taskbar of an open program or folder, yet the program or file explorer won't maximize. If i click the ALT key after I try, the window pops up. It's almost like the file is stuck in the...