Windows 10: Taskbar "right click" context menus disappear after 1903 update

Discus and support Taskbar "right click" context menus disappear after 1903 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The right click context menus disappear after I upgraded to Win 10 1903. This seems like a common theme for all recent 7+ versions post updates. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PhilDougherty, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Taskbar "right click" context menus disappear after 1903 update

The right click context menus disappear after I upgraded to Win 10 1903.

This seems like a common theme for all recent 7+ versions post updates.

I have read every article.

1) It is not corrupted system files, or at least a through check and resolve of these does not fix the issue

2) It is not Policy, I have disabled the relevant computer and user policies. Does not fix the issue

3) It is not a random entry in the registry to force disable the policy. Does not fix the issue

4) It is not the user account in some way, a new user does not fix the problem

5) It is not a 3rd party app, I have nothing that touches the context menu and it still disappears post update. Does not fix the issue

6) It is not driver related on either Graphics, Mouse, USB or related Chipset. Validated latest, forced update to latest, Does not fix the issue

Stop making it up guys, please fix this issue that must be in your code somewhere.

Anyone with any suggestions outside of above, greatly appreciated.

:)

PhilDougherty, Jun 3, 2019
  2. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Naki, Jun 3, 2019
  3. Thanatica Win User
    Consolidate context menu styles

The style for context menus need to be consolidated. There are current three different styles:

• Right-click on an empty region of the taskbar: you will get a black context menu with a light border and no icons, which fades in and out.
    • Right-click on a taskbar app button: you will get a black context menu without border but with monotone icons, which slides in and out from the bottom.
    • Right-click on the desktop and most other places: you will get a bright-grey context menu with coloured icons, which fades in and out.

Like I said, there is no need to maintain three different styles for a visual element that is the result of three identical user interactions, only in different places. These three styles come with a virgin installation of Windows 10, which can make it confusing
    to new and upgraded users why the colour and such is suddenly different for essentially the same 'thing'.

To reiterate, differences in:

• Background colour
    • Text colour
    • Border style
    • Hide- and show animation
    • Coloured icons, monotone icons, or no icons

Why not make these the same for every context menu? It's easier to maintain (for Microsoft devs) and easier on the user experience (for your valued customers).

Thanatica, Jun 3, 2019
  4. Taskbar "right click" context menus disappear after 1903 update

Taskbar & Context Menus not displaying correctly

This problem occurred after updating some programs using Secunia's PSI, although I don't believe the updates caused this (more later).
    Problems seen:
    • Taskbar & its icons are displayed in a corrupted form (see screenshot)
    • Date/Time is missing from the Notification area of the Taskbar
    • Context menus (right-click) are not showing their content, just a bar with arrows for lower level items
    After following advice on this board & checking for Shell Extensions and using Safe Mode, the problem still existed. I then restored the hard drive from previous nightly backups (went back 1 day, then 2 days and finally 3 days) but the problem still showed up. The program updates flagged by Secunia were not installed 2 days back, hence I don't believe they are relevant.
    I checked the video driver and it did need updating, but that did not fix the issue.

I am at a complete loss as to what is causing this - does anyone have any suggestions.

mikeduncan, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

Taskbar "right click" context menus disappear after 1903 update

1. Taskbar "right click" context menus disappear after 1903 update - Similar Threads - Taskbar right click

2. Taskbar Explorer right click context menu slow (not just explorer)

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Explorer right click context menu slow (not just explorer): Hi, so one thing i can't seem to solve is that right clicking on explorer or most other applications (i think) is slow on windows 10. I have used this before: 7+ Taskbar Tweaker - RaMMicHaeL's Blog And this solves that completely, it's instant. Problem is, some applications...
  3. Right Click Context Menu Glitch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click Context Menu Glitch: If I Right Click in File Explorer or on Desktop and hover over "New," The Menu Freezes as does file explorer and will hang for around 30 seconds to one minute. Very Frustrating and hope it can be fixed!...
  4. Customising the right-click context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customising the right-click context menu: Hi, I hope someone here can help me out. I want to customise the context menu, the one that pops up when you right-click the mouse. I just want to re-arrange some of the menu options that are available and possibly delete (if possible) some others that I don't need or even...
  5. Right Click context menu sloooow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Right Click context menu sloooow: I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS on my self built system. It's been working great for years but recently I have notice when right clicking on any file in File Explorer or on the desktop it takes up to 30 seconds for the context menu to appear. I have read other posts about...
  6. Text in right click menus on taskbar missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Text in right click menus on taskbar missing: I think this is related to tiles disappearing on the start menu. It feels like a graphic bug. But I'm not sure. [img] 25411
  7. White boxes for right click menus?

in Windows 10 Support
    White boxes for right click menus?: http://puu.sh/jjjOl/869ebbd62a.png The bottom right box is me right clicking the Speakers or Network icons. I can click in it and it still works but it's just annoying knowing that it's not working properly. Anyone else have this problem or perhaps a solution for it? 10411
  8. Taskbar Right click menus disappear before you can access them

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Right click menus disappear before you can access them: The taskbar has some powerful features that have become almost indispensable. [img] Right click gives you a menu. In the past I've just used my mouse to roll up to the item I need and click to access. NOW if I roll my mouse up to the menu, as soon as I am off the taskbar...
  9. Right click context menu for explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click context menu for explorer: Trying to create a Right click context menu for explorer. I used to be able to launch VLC mediaplayer by right clicking on a Video_ts folder and chose play with VLC, seems to have gone for some reason...tried a few programs to help me with this but no luck yet....just tried...
  10. Taskbar & Context Menus not displaying correctly

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar & Context Menus not displaying correctly: This problem occurred after updating some programs using Secunia's PSI, although I don't believe the updates caused this (more later). Problems seen: Taskbar & its icons are displayed in a corrupted form (see screenshot) Date/Time is missing from the Notification area of...