Windows 10: Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems

Discus and support Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I did the sfc scannow, the powershell app thing, I think I did the DSIM thing too. What can I do? 28297 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Superispike, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems

I did the sfc scannow, the powershell app thing, I think I did the DSIM thing too. What can I do?

:)

Superispike, Oct 30, 2015

2. Taskbar search icon and start menu search not working

Pressing the taskbar SEARCH icon (no drop down), or searching by typing after selecting the START menu (automated search), no longer works on our Windows 10 system. We upgraded recently from Windows 7 and the search features initially appeared to function.
    However, the features are now non-responsive.

Many people are experiencing similar problems and many of the solutions don't seem to be working, including the 'Search and Indexing' troubleshooter. We did activate the menus one time by HIDING the search icon on the taskbar and then turning it ON. It
    seemed to refresh the feature, but only worked for a few hours before behaving badly again.

Honest Abe, Oct 30, 2015
  3. Taskbar search icon and start menu search not working

We are responding to our own post. The only solution we have found so far was recommended by Jean Simeoni in reply to the Microsoft Community thread: "Cortana/Windows Search Not Working: Windows 10" ( quoted below from page 6 of all replies in our browser ).
    In addition to his suggestions, we had to DISABLE and reboot, not merely STOP, the 'Windows Search' service, before we could delete the 'Data' folder. Our only hesitation at this point, in recommending the fix, is simply not knowing if it is a permanent fix
    or a short-lived fix. Either way, it's effectiveness is definitely a clue to the overall problem.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8.1 on my desktop and upgraded from Windows 7 on my Notebook, both were presenting the same problem. What helped me was deleting the "Search Data" Folder. I believe it contains the search indexes and for some
    unknown reason those indexes were corrupted.

Below are the steps I used (Sorry, I'm running the Brazilian Portuguese version so some items may be labeled different in English):

• Open Configuration/Settings
    • Type Services in the search bar
    • Click on Show Local Services
    • On the Services window, look for the Windows Search service and stop it
    • Open Windows Explorer
    • Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search
      • Note that you may need Administrator credentials
      • Note also that ProgramData is a hidden folder
    • Delete the Data folder
    • Restart the PC
    Let me known if this solves your problems. Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems ;)

[ END QUOTE ]

Honest Abe, Oct 30, 2015
  4. Hydranix Win User

Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems

You can start by describing your problem in the most detail to the best of your ability.

Hydranix, Oct 30, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    Create another identical user account.
    Logon to the new account and see if the same problem persists.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems

1. Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems - Similar Threads - Taskbar Search Start

2. Start menu/'Type here to search'/Taskbar lagging.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu/'Type here to search'/Taskbar lagging.: When I try to open the windows start menu it takes about 2-3 seconds to load and it is really frustrating, this also happens with opening and closing task manager, right clicking on the task bar and attempting to quick search something. Sometimes the 'Type here to search'...
  3. Taskbar and Start menu search unresponsive to any clicks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar and Start menu search unresponsive to any clicks: Greetings,Starting at least a few weeks now, I find my taskbar completely unresponsive to any type of clicks. It also happens in some other UI elements, like certain dialog boxes and in the Start menu after typing a search query.I've tried many of the proposed solutions I...
  4. Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working: So I logged on my pc And i noticed all icons in task bar are gone so when i try to click the start menu its not working And when i put my cursor on the search My cursor becomes the loading thingyI tried restarting file explorer and it didnt workHelp...
  5. Problem with Start menu and Search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with Start menu and Search bar: From these two days, I can't open search menu and when ever I click on start menu the explorer restarts. I can't even open some apps(now in Insider build 20H2). submitted by /u/itsme_shibintmz [link] [comments]...
  6. Start up menu and Taskbar problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Start up menu and Taskbar problems: I have spent all day trying different cures for the Startup menu and task bar freeze problem to no avail. The problem does not exist in my user acct only in the wife's and she is getting upset. I did some how get it to stop locking out and forcing a restart. I wish I knew...
  7. Problem with Start Menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Start Menu search: I had to restore a older image of my Windows 10 install, after copying my current user profile. I restored it, copied the new user profile over the old one and got all working. Except the Start menu search feature stopped finding programs, the only results it returns are...
  8. Problems with Taskbar, Start menu, search and Graphics driver

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Taskbar, Start menu, search and Graphics driver: Hey People i resently upgraded to windows 10 and so far i like the OS, but small things seems to bother me. First of all am I unable to right click my icons in the taskbar in order to get the menu of the given program to pop-up. Second thing is sort of similar,...
  9. start menu search problem

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu search problem: Build 14328. I can't open start menu and begin typing to search anymore. searching only works in the Cortana box. 48330
  10. On restart, developed problems with search, start menu, and taskbar.

in Windows 10 Support
    On restart, developed problems with search, start menu, and taskbar.: Alright, so, a few days ago I restarted my laptop, a couple weeks after upgrading to W10, and over the next hour i noticed three seemingly unrelated problems that all started at the same time. I first noticed that two of my pinned taskbar icons are "blank". They show no...