Windows 10: Taskbar Selection Issues

Discus and support Taskbar Selection Issues in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I left on a trip between the 12-15 this month with my computer turned off. Once I returned, after starting up my computer, had to do some Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Little Whispers, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Taskbar Selection Issues

I left on a trip between the 12-15 this month with my computer turned off. Once I returned, after starting up my computer, had to do some Windows updates like normal. However, I've been getting several issues since then.

The largest issue involving windows is referring to when you have two or more tasks of the same type opened (two notepads for example), you can normally mouse over them on your taskbar to see a preview of each task. From here, you can click on a task preview to bring up that individual task you've selected. well, my first issue with this is that in order for me to get the preview to even come up, I have to select an empty space in the taskbar so my taskbar itself is selected. It won't bring up these previews unless I select the taskbar first which is odd. The more annoying part is that I can not select with left nor right click on these previews without them going away. The preview also doesn't work with single windows either. The only way for me to bring up a task that has two or more copies is via Alt+Tab. Added to this, if I search something from the start menu and right click on a program (such as if I wanted to run cmd via administrator through my search bar), the right click menu to select "Run as Administrator" instantly vanishes.

Secondly, whenever I startup my computer, Windows thinks that I'm holding down my Ctrl key. I naturally fix this by just tapping Ctrl for my input to update that I'm not pressing it. Regardless of having a fix for this, this is still concerning problem and I have no idea why this is occurring.

I've done several security scans and have restarted my computer since then, also updating all my drivers, though I'm still having these issues.

My two last issues that are on a side note and more irrelevant to Windows but may be something to note is when I use PC Matic and do a scan, if I let it attempt to defrag my disc drive (I only have my C: drive), once it reaches my drivers, it just crashes as if it closed out and the logs are corrupted or non-existent it seems. Also, some of my more demanding programs such as games tend to not respond and get stuck that way. The odd part about this however is whenever I click "Wait for Program to Respond", the window instantly pops up so quick as to look if it didn't register me clicking the button.

Thank you for your time and sorry for dumping all of my problems. The reason I'm stating all of these are because they all started occurring after updating my Windows 10 and could be relevant.

:)

Little Whispers, Dec 24, 2018

2. Taskbar Issue with Multiple Monitors

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

Please share the information below:

• Are you using a Local Account or a Microsoft Account?
    • What is the make and model of your PC?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the Taskbar and select Properties.
    • Check if the option for Lock the Taskbar and Auto-hide the taskbar
      are ticked.
    • If they are ticked then uncheck the option for Auto-hide the taskbar.

Also, suggest you to update the Display driver by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 24, 2018
  3. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Dec 24, 2018
  4. csatennis Win User

Taskbar Selection Issues

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

Taskbar Selection Issues

1. Taskbar Selection Issues - Similar Threads - Taskbar Selection Issues

2. Taskbar shows selection box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar shows selection box: My taskbar suddenly have this selection box thing that I have to click twice on any of the apps in order to open it up. Any ideas I can turn this box off? It's not like an urgent problem but it's still very annoying to do it every time....
  3. Taskbar shows selection box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar shows selection box: My taskbar suddenly have this selection box thing that I have to click twice on any of the apps in order to open it up. Any ideas I can turn this box off? It's not like an urgent problem but it's still very annoying to do it every time....
  4. unable to select taskbar colour?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to select taskbar colour?: I have previously always have had a custom chosen pinky Rose colour for my taskbar, After shutting down for the night, the next day the task bar was Black with white icons? I have followed every suggested trial provided by Windows support without any success?No matter what I...
  5. unable to select taskbar colour?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to select taskbar colour?: I have previously always have had a custom chosen pinky Rose colour for my taskbar, After shutting down for the night, the next day the task bar was Black with white icons? I have followed every suggested trial provided by Windows support without any success?No matter what I...
  6. unable to select taskbar colour?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. selecting taskbar color

selecting taskbar color: I am still having trouble selecting taskbar colors. Acting on a previous suggestion from the community, I chose Color Mode as Custom to enable colors on taskbar and other elements. I then chose Windows Mode as Dark and App Mode as light. So far so good. But the problem is...
  8. selecting taskbar color

selecting taskbar color: Please help. I have tried to follow instructions for selecting taskbar color as follows without success. 1. I right-clinked on taskbar. 2. I selected taskbar settings. 3. I hit start button, then chose settings, then chose personalization. 4. I chose colors in light...
  9. Cursor selecting taskbar as if it was text

Cursor selecting taskbar as if it was text: Hello, I have encountered a strange problem. When I move to the taskbar, the cursor was an I-beam! This was caused by program crashes. Can you give me a solution to fix it?...
  10. Issue with selecting programs from taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Issue with selecting programs from taskbar: Hi Everyone, Honestly, this is driving me nuts, never seen this issue before. When I have multiple programs running on my computer (Word, Excel, Chrome, and Microsoft Mail (I know Yucky, but Outlook doesn't work with my work's email servers yet...)) the computer will...