Windows 10: Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why?

Discus and support Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Here's what's going on. The examples I'm using are Notepad, Chrome, and Opera. See how Opera opens after all the shortcut icons instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Andrewx3n, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Andrewx3n Win User

Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why?

Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why? 43b30e0a-7c98-4e6d-bcfb-6bccc42e4146?upload=true.gif

Here's what's going on. The examples I'm using are Notepad, Chrome, and Opera. See how Opera opens after all the shortcut icons instead of right from its own shortcut?

I'm using custom icons for most of my taskbar, but the setup is quite clean.

All of the shortcuts are local on my C:\ drive, in the same place. The standard taskbar shortcuts folder in %appdata%.

Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why? b6fa1339-d44c-4752-a6d6-d9cadda5f38c?upload=true.png

The custom icons linked with them are also local, and all in one place. They're in a folder under %userprofile%\Documents.

Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why? d449fe44-1906-4eb7-ac29-b7544ef5b84b?upload=true.png

The Chrome icon isn't "custom", but it is stand-alone. The shortcut for Chrome is directed here for the icon it uses, not to Chrome.exe.

As for their targets, Notepad directs to notepad.exe in C:\Windows. Chrome and Opera both direct to their own respective self-contained directories on my D:\ drive - where they are installed and where they also keep their cache and user profiles.

Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why? 02e00115-55be-49c3-b623-8e2a143e2011?upload=true.png

Any ideas as to why Opera isn't staying with its taskbar shortcut position once it's launched?

I appreciate any help.

:)

Andrewx3n, Oct 31, 2018

2. How do I add a shortcut to the Taskbar on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are unable to add a shortcut to the taskbar in Windows 10. You are right that there is no option to pin the shortcut to the taskbar. However, you should be able to drag and drop the shortcut to the taskbar. If you are unable
    to do that try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

• Open the network connection page by clicking on the shortcut.
    • Once that page is open, you could see the same in the taskbar.
    • Now, right click on the icon of network connection in the taskbar which is representing your shortcut.
    • Select the option pin to the taskbar.
    • Now the shortcut will be pinned to the taskbar.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Oct 31, 2018
  3. JTArnott Win User
    How do I add a shortcut to the Taskbar on Windows 10

This answer is troubling. Yes, after opening the calculator, I could right-click the icon in the taskbar and select Pin to Taskbar. BUT, why was I unable to simply drag the shortcut from the desktop? This answer says I "should be able to drag and drop",
    but I wasn't. What's the root cause of THAT failure?

JTArnott, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Jay Jap Win User

Taskbar screen saver shortcut

Hello Ozzie,

Normally, it will only allow you to create a shortcut on your desktop but not in your Taskbar. To assist you with your concern, you can follow these steps to circumvent it:

• Send the screensaver shortcut on your desktop.
    • Right-click on the screensaver shortcut and click-on properties.
    • Paste the following information in the Target option under Shortcut C:\Windows\explorer.exe "C:\Windows\System32\scrnsave.scr"
    • Hit Apply.
    • Hit OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why? - Similar Threads - Taskbar shortcut opening

2. Lost shortcuts from taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost shortcuts from taskbar: Hello, used Win10 x64 build 22H2, version 10.0.19045.3570 on taskbar quick launch were created shortcuts to applications screenshot. Then something was happened maybe installed new MS update and same shortcuts are lost from taskbar happened more times, for more users, during...
  3. Lost shortcuts from taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost shortcuts from taskbar: Hello, used Win10 x64 build 22H2, version 10.0.19045.3570 on taskbar quick launch were created shortcuts to applications screenshot. Then something was happened maybe installed new MS update and same shortcuts are lost from taskbar happened more times, for more users, during...
  4. Lost shortcuts from taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Open 'People' with Shortcut or Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open 'People' with Shortcut or Taskbar: Hello Community,I was searching for an option to open 'People' or address book as an single application. Now I can open it with 'outlook' but can't open it in the taskbar or with a shortcut on the desktop or the menu.I found a topic to this which provides a solution and a...
  6. Open 'People' with Shortcut or Taskbar

Open 'People' with Shortcut or Taskbar: Hello Community,I was searching for an option to open 'People' or address book as an single application. Now I can open it with 'outlook' but can't open it in the taskbar or with a shortcut on the desktop or the menu.I found a topic to this which provides a solution and a...
  7. Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..: I prefer some of my desktop short cuts for browser URLs to open as separate windows to provide more of seperate APP feel vs a new browser TAB. I'm using Google Chrome Version 111.0.5563.147 Official Build 64-bit to accomplish that , creating short cuts and checking the box to...
  8. Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..

Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..: I prefer some of my desktop short cuts for browser URLs to open as separate windows to provide more of seperate APP feel vs a new browser TAB. I'm using Google Chrome Version 111.0.5563.147 Official Build 64-bit to accomplish that , creating short cuts and checking the box to...
  9. explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut: Whenever I try to open File Explorer from Start, Taskbar or a Desktop Shortcut, it will either: 1. Not Open but run in the background as I checked in Task Manager 2. Give me an error box saying: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this...
  10. Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas?

in Windows 10 Support
    Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas?: Hi Folks, After a recent fresh install of Win 10 I have had this issue and a few more: i) When I try to create "New Folder" it opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas? as in pic below. ii) I cannot create new installed Desktop "Short Cuts" - I have taken ownership /...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is taskbar explorer opening in a separate window?

2. pinned icon not opening in same place