Windows 10: Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished

Discus and support Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win10 Pro (20H2, says winver). Updated from 2004; visually unchanged, including taskbar. Taskbar shortcuts' context menus are less useful, containing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thename, Dec 30, 2020.

1. thename Win User

Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished

Win10 Pro (20H2, says winver). Updated from 2004; visually unchanged, including taskbar.

Taskbar shortcuts' context menus are less useful, containing only
    - unpin
    - close (if referenced program is running).

Formerly the menu contained also the name, whose submenu contained
    - properties
    - run as admin.

:)

thename, Dec 30, 2020

2. Taskbar R-Click Context Menu Not Working Properly

Since installing Windows 10 version 2004 earlier this week on one of my PCs, I’ve been unable to right click certain taskbar shortcut icons to bring up the associated context menus on a local account. I have an administrator account on the same PC, but that
    account doesn’t experience the problem. So I’m a bit puzzled as to how to fix.

The taskbar icons affected on the local account are the ones pinned there as shortcuts.
    All other items on the taskbar (i.e., Start, Search, and entire Notification Area) function normally—they all display context menus when right clicked.

Based on research, I’ve noticed that taskbar problems frequently occur with Windows updates. I’ve attempted to rectify the situation using some of the recommendations provided, such as stopping/restarting the explorer.exe process and running DISM and SFC
    scans (both reported everything OK), but to no avail.

As mentioned, the right click taskbar context menus all work properly on my administrator account—it’s just the local account (for one of my family members) that displays the problem.

Any suggestions for resolving would be appreciated.

Uncle Sugar, Dec 30, 2020
  3. Necrofire Win User
    CCC Context menu

I was recently greeted to a new entry in my desktop context menu after installing 8.12 drivers with the Catalyst Control Center:

Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished ati2.png

I have no idea what the second entry does, since clicking it results in nothing happening.
    So I open up CCC and find this new section:

Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished ati1.png

It's completely disabled. I only have a single HD3850. The IGP on my mobo is nVidia, which is disabled anyway.

I spent the last hour or so finding a way to remove the second entry, and this is the only thing I could find:
    Deleting this key removes both entries from the context menu
    Code: KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ACE[/quote] This solved one problem and caused another. I do not like the tray icon, so I have it disabled, so the only way I know to get into CCC is via the context menu. Does anyone know of a way to disable just the "Configure Additive Graphics" entry and keep the CCC entry?

If I kept both disabled, is there some sort of shortcut I could make to get there instead? I don't want to have to go to Display->Settings->Advanced->CCC every time.
    EDIT: Just made a hotkey to get there. *Smile Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished :)

Necrofire, Dec 30, 2020
  4. Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished

windows 10 desktop icon context menus

(Windows 10 with Anniversary Update, patched up to date.) Following installation of Anniversary Update I have 2 context menu issues. When I right-click a desktop shortcut the context menu appears but Open, Run As Administrator, and Pin to Start don't work
    - e.g., the app won't launch and it won't pin to the Start Menu (but it will pin to Taskbar). On the other hand, Cut, Copy, Delete, and Properties do work. It doesn't matter which shortcut I try, and this all worked before the upgrade. Also the Win-X menu
    pops open, but none of those choices work either except the 4 bottom ones - Desktop, Shutdown, Run, and Search. Again, if the choice is to run a program, there may be a momentary spinner, but nothing starts up. The shortcuts only launch if I double-click,
    and the context menus seem to work from inside the Start list (including creating a tile and pinning to the Start Menu from there.

I've tried different Google searches, but none of the hits quite describe my issues. One of the postings that came close suggested running a utility called ShellExView. I disabled all 7 suspect non-MS context menus it identified, but that made no difference.
    So, can anybody help?

WarrenClearfield, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished

1. Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished - Similar Threads - Taskbar shortcuts' context

2. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  3. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  4. Windows 11 taskbar options diminished?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 taskbar options diminished?: The possibilities offered by the taskbar seem diminished in Windows 11 compared to 10 at least in some respects the opposite may be true in others, but I have not identified those yet. I cannot attach e.g. Windows Mail or Spotify, and for Steam, I used to be able to edit the...
  5. Pinned Taskbar apps context menus dont work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pinned Taskbar apps context menus dont work: When I right-click a pinned app the context menu shows up but if I left-click any of the option it doesn't do anything and the context menu stays up...
  6. Disable Taskbar Context Menus for 'press and hold' (drag) ONLY??

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Taskbar Context Menus for 'press and hold' (drag) ONLY??: Hi, does anyone know if there's way to disable the taskbar context menus from being triggered by 'press and hold' ONLY? I use a regular pc and mouse, not a touchscreen, I don't need the ability to bring up those menus by dragging, but I don't want to disable them entirely, I...
  7. Context Menus - (Inconsistencies)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context Menus - (Inconsistencies): If you're not keen on the 'larger' spacing on some Explorer right click context menus, or, have applied a different 'text size' and, perhaps applied 'Bold' but find that the modifications do not adhere, here's a quick Registry modification to fix that. If you are...
  8. Removing 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from context menus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from context menus: Does anybody know how, if it's eve possible, to remove 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from the context menu for files and folders?! TIA! 36836
  9. Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 When you perform one of the actions below, you will see a taskbar context menu. Right click or press and hold on the taskbar Press and hold Shift...
  10. Taskbar & Context Menus not displaying correctly

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar & Context Menus not displaying correctly: This problem occurred after updating some programs using Secunia's PSI, although I don't believe the updates caused this (more later). Problems seen: Taskbar & its icons are displayed in a corrupted form (see screenshot) Date/Time is missing from the Notification area of...