Windows 10: Taskbar/Start Menu Issue

Discus and support Taskbar/Start Menu Issue in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My task bar/start menu will not open. Type to search - nothing. On top of that Outlook will not send and receive. Any ideas? submitted by /u/jstyer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jstyer, Mar 18, 2020.

1. /u/jstyer Win User

Taskbar/Start Menu Issue

My task bar/start menu will not open. Type to search - nothing. On top of that Outlook will not send and receive. Any ideas?

submitted by /u/jstyer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jstyer, Mar 18, 2020

2. Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.

Steps:

1. Using HDMI for a second monitor.
    2. Open start menu using the icon.
    3. Close start menu using the icon.
    4. Click anywhere other than the task bars. (e.g. an open window, the desktop, even the first monitor's desktop)
    5. Taskbar on second monitor slides down to be hidden.
    6. Taskbar then immediately slides up to reappear.

If after closing the start menu (step 3), you click on the taskbar, then click outside the taskbar, this behavior does not occur.

Performing the steps on the main monitor's taskbar does not produce this behavior.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember using this laptop (~3years), with different nVidia drivers and Windows 10 updates.

Dreaming Void, Mar 18, 2020
  3. Unsatble Taskbar and start menu in the update of June

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Did you receive any error message?

• Did you install any third party security application?

• Which is the current build installed on the computer?
    This issue may arise due to the corruptions in Windows components. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to refer to the article provided below which helps in troubleshooting the issues with the Task bar and Start menu.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope the information helps in resolving the issue related to the Taskbar. Please do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Mar 18, 2020
  4. Taskbar/Start Menu Issue

Issues with start menu and taskbar

Hi Jay,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you for the issue.

I would suggest you to follow the below suggestions and check if it helps.

You may find a fix for the issue by checking for Windows Updates. To do this without the Start menu:

• Tap or click the Internet Explorer icon.

• Type http://update.microsoft.com into the address
      bar and hit Enter.

• If you are prompted to run a control, click
      Yes.
    This should bring up the Check for Updates window.
    Install updates.

If no update is available, or the available updates don’t resolve the issue, reboot the device. The Start menu should come back. To reboot without using the Start menu:

• Hold down the Windows key and press L to Lock the device. Swipe up or press Enter to get the log in screen. Use the Power icon on the log in screen to restart the computer.

OR

• Hold down the Windows key and press R to get a Command Prompt. At the prompt, type
      shutdown –r to reboot the device.

You may be able to correct this by re-registering the package. Run a Powershell script using the following steps:

• Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. Select
      Task Manager.
    • From the File menu, select
      Run new task

Type powershell, put a check mark next to
    Create this task with administrative privileges and tap or click
    OK.

Paste or type the following at the
    Powershell prompt, and hit Enter:

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

If none of these solutions are working, please check that your User Account Controls are set to the default recommended settings. You can find this control by going to
    Settings and searching for “User Account Control”. Once the control page opens, set it to “Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer” and click
    OK.

Also, make sure you’re using an administrator account, and that you are not on a child, guest or standard user account when attempting these solution steps. To check this, go to
    Settings > Accounts >Other user accounts. This will list all the active users and whether they have administrator privileges. If you’re current account is not an administrator account, you’ll need to sign
    out and then sign into one of the existing administrator accounts listed. From there, go back to this page, click the entry for the account you were using, click
    Edit, and then switch the account to Administrator.

Try the above suggestion and let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

Taskbar/Start Menu Issue

1. Taskbar/Start Menu Issue - Similar Threads - Taskbar Start Menu

2. Start menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu and Taskbar: My windows key won't open Starrt menu, start menu not working and cant click on icons on taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-taskbar/42d3aa3f-6402-4283-96d7-4265d76fc090
  3. Start menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Taskbar: My windows key won't open Starrt menu, start menu not working and cant click on icons on taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-taskbar/42d3aa3f-6402-4283-96d7-4265d76fc090
  4. Start menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Taskbar/start menu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar/start menu not working: have Windows 10, it was working great since upgraded. Today I turn it on and now when I click the Start button or Windows key, the mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able to use the search bar, and I can't right click apps...
  6. Taskbar and Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar and Start menu: Hello Microsoft Community! I want a problem solve to the taskber, the problem is that I want to know what is the main thing to what apps are pinned to the task bar and how are they organized, I want the same thing in the start menu, I have a 21H1 version of windows 10....
  7. Taskbar issues and start menu fail

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar issues and start menu fail: So my pc recently started having issues. The windows task bar is completely unresponsive, I can’t access the start menu and settings (even through sound control options), I can’t press the desktop button, all the windows key shortcuts don’t work, and for some reason I can’t...
  8. Start menu and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu and taskbar not working: My system has lately been experiencing issues with the Start menu and taskbar. When I power my device on and click on the Start button, the menu doesn't appear. I can right click on the Start button or press Win + X to get to my properties, but left clicking does nothing. The...
  9. Start Menu and Taskbar customization

Start Menu and Taskbar customization: Hi everyone, Does anyone have recommendations on how to customize the start menu and taskbar for a deployment image? I've tried customizing the start menu and taskbar, then exporting the configuration into a XML, but the start menu appears in two columns when I want it half...
  10. Bright start menu and taskbar

Bright start menu and taskbar: I've just upgraded to win 10. Is there a way to make the taskbar and startmenu light gray and low contrast? I enabled "Show color on..." and added my own light grays to the palette with WinAeroTweaker. The chosen colors show up in window title bars but have no effect on...