Windows 10: Taskbar, startmenu, search and other things broken

Discus and support Taskbar, startmenu, search and other things broken in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I booted up my pc today and first thing I notice was nothing was showing up on my task bar except for the touch keyboard icon and show hidden icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PANC00N, Jan 17, 2022.

1. PANC00N Win User

Taskbar, startmenu, search and other things broken

I booted up my pc today and first thing I notice was nothing was showing up on my task bar except for the touch keyboard icon and show hidden icons icon. I can't open the start menu or search bar. I also noticed my mic was not being picked up anymore, and if I right click the desktop the little menu takes forever to open. I've tried restarting, updating, restarting explorer, troubleshooting and more and nothing has worked. Apps are able to be opened just fine. I am running windows 11.

:)

PANC00N, Jan 17, 2022

2. Startmenu not "updating"

Hey,

I got the following problem:

• Newly installed Programs/Apps will not show up in the startmenu
    • Programs/Shortcuts I add to the Startmenu folders want show in my startmenu
    • Startmenu search won't find the new items either, even not if they are pinned to the startmenu

What I have tried to fix my problem:

• Rebuilding my search index
    • Reinstalling all windows apps, including cortana
    • Try to locate the issue with the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) ⇒ nothing found
    • Running the troubleshooter ⇒ returns "incorrect permissions on Windows Search directoriers"
      • changed the default Search folder where the index is saved
      • checked permissions for the Search folder (seems ok)

What I think initially caused the error:

• I switched from German to English on my Win10 PC
      • I then realised that a lot of my searchable windows settings still showed inGerman and not in English and were in addition not clickable anymore (nothing happended)
      • I could not fix the issue so I switched back to German
      • This made the Win10 settings searchable and clickable again, but since then my Startmenu seems to be stuck on its old index
    I am running Windows 10 Education with the Anniversary Update - which for me removed Cortana (maybe this issue is connected?)

Any help or advise?

Ciaran Baulig, Jan 17, 2022
  3. Taskbar search

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly send us a screenshot and provide more details by answering the following questions:

• When you say "taskbar search function", do you mean the Start menu search field?
    • Are you getting any error messages upon accessing the taskbar search?
    Meanwhile, to help resolve your concern, we suggest that you run the System file checker and DISM tool to fix issues with corrupted system files that may be causing the issue. To do this, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type or copy these commands followed by hitting Enter:

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Do let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Jan 17, 2022
  4. I_askYou Win User

Windows 10: how to restore search bar in the taskbar?

When I right click on Taskbar, there is no "Search" in the list.

I_askYou, Jan 17, 2022
Thema:

1. Taskbar, startmenu, search and other things broken - Similar Threads - Taskbar startmenu search

2. startmenu render bug while searching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    startmenu render bug while searching: as you can see in the image, the startmenu renders squished at the top while searching https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startmenu-render-bug-while-searching/86e9abff-ea62-4dc4-a25a-723aa3904b70
  3. startmenu render bug while searching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    startmenu render bug while searching: as you can see in the image, the startmenu renders squished at the top while searching https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startmenu-render-bug-while-searching/86e9abff-ea62-4dc4-a25a-723aa3904b70
  4. startmenu render bug while searching

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Taskbar, startmenu, search and other things broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar, startmenu, search and other things broken: I booted up my pc today and first thing I notice was nothing was showing up on my task bar except for the touch keyboard icon and show hidden icons icon. I can't open the start menu or search bar. I also noticed my mic was not being picked up anymore, and if I right click the...
  6. taskbar / Startmenu disappeared!

taskbar / Startmenu disappeared!: My startmenu/ taskbar disappeared on Windows 10! How do I get it back? Is there a keyboard shortcut? I tried asking before and got advice to "rightclick on the taskbar" which has disappeared to set properties etc. Really looking for a friend... I tried help.microsoft.com,...
  7. Certain things in taskbar among other things don't work.

Certain things in taskbar among other things don't work.: This happened after the new windows update on 4/14/21. Everything was working fine until then. I got the computer at the end of 2019. After the new update there are a number of bugs but the ones that really prevent me are the fact that pressing f4 does not open screen...
  8. Windows Taskbar Search Browser and other

in Cortana
    Windows Taskbar Search Browser and other: Hello! I am on Windows 10 and this category is about browsers but I could not find that category so I chose Internet Explorer as a category cant find Windows 10 on version too. Now lets read! I have a new default browser called Opera GX. I used to always use Microsoft Edge....
  9. Startmenu search and file explorer search ...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Startmenu search and file explorer search ...: Every time I do upgrade to new build the Startmenu "search" dont work. I did upgrade to the new build and it broke yet again I usual type thing like "regedit" with startmenu up and it find said things. but yet again after build update it goes from working for bit to no...
  10. Why is my taskbar and startmenu transparency so weak compared to others?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is my taskbar and startmenu transparency so weak compared to others?: Here is my menu and taskbar with transparency ON: https://imgur.com/LZzmRig I feel like the transparency and black color on my windows taskbar/start feels "off". I remember using windows 10 in the past and the transparency was way higher and the black was way blacker, now...