Windows 10: Taskbar toolbar menu delays - Difficult to explain - Bear with me

Discus and support Taskbar toolbar menu delays - Difficult to explain - Bear with me in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Version 1903 (build 18362.418) Hello, I am experiencing odd delays on some of my taskbar toolbars, but not all. First, I need to explain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vlad1mir, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Vlad1mir Win User

Taskbar toolbar menu delays - Difficult to explain - Bear with me

Windows 10 Version 1903 (build 18362.418)

Hello,

I am experiencing odd delays on some of my taskbar toolbars, but not all.

First, I need to explain what I have going on. On my taskbar I have 4 toolbars which are set up in the default fashion that has the toolbar title with a small arrow next to it. When I click the arrow it opens a menu with whatever is in that toolbar/folder. Some of these toolbars, but not all, are having 5 second or so delays when clicking the arrow before the menu populates. It is just plain white for 5 seconds as if the drive is loading. I can also hear the CPU fans increase as though it is working simply to load some shortcuts? Let me explain the drives and each toolbar so maybe you can help determine what is causing menu delays.

C drive - ssd
    E drive - hdd
    F drive - ssd
    My power settings are set so no hard drivers ever go to sleep.

The toolbars are the following:
    Media| Games | Apps | System

I'm going to explain the contents of each and which ones are experiencing issues so maybe you can compare one from the other and help me to figure it out:

"Media" points to the root of the E drive (hdd), which contains a couple dozen subfolders at the first level. These are not shortcuts but actual folders. This menu loads instantaneously. Good.

"Games" points to a folder in C:\Users\%\Documents\Toolbars\Games and inside the folder is around 30 or so shortcuts to launch games. These are the same shortcuts that are created on the desktop when games install, then I drag them to this folder instead. Some of the games are installed on C drive (ssd) while most of them are installed on F drive (ssd). This menu has a roughly 5 second delay when clicking on it for the first time in a session. Bad.

"Apps" is similar to Games and points to C:\Users\%\Documents\Toolbars\Apps and contains shortcuts to 20 or so programs most of which are installed on C drive, a few on the F drive. This menu also has a roughly 5 second delay when clicking on it for the first time in a session. Bad.

"System" points to C:\Users\%\Documents\Toolbars\System and contains about 40 shortcuts to various Windows 10 tools, like defragger, char map, task manager, cmd prompt, etc, settings, and several custom scripts. This menu loads instantaneously. Good.

So, that means out of these 4 toolbars, only "Games" and "Apps" are experiencing abnormaly delays. I cannot figure out why. It is only the first time I click it in a given session, afterwards, it loads quickly.

I tried to clear the icon cache .db files with admin level command promp, even in safe mode, and it says access denied. Impossible to delete them. Not sure if that is the issue but I read that when Googling around so I can't say if that is my issue or not since the cache won't delete. It is worth noting, while in safe mode, the delay is still present on those 2 toolbars, except it is only half a second instead of 5 seconds. Odd. I am tempted to say then that in safe mode there is no delay, that 1/2 second is a standard for 30 shortcuts, but I don't think so... This machine should be able to handle that no problem. SO even 1/2 a second delay in safe mode seems inadequate to me. So whatever the problem, it may be "less" in safe mode, if that's any indication of anything.

I know it might not sound like a big problem, just a 5 second delay and only the first click in a given session... but it is quite annoying and makes me feel bad about my custom build with performance parts since it can't even load a menu like it is Windows 95 still.

Thank you for any help solving this weird, annoying delay issue.

Windows 10 Version 1903 (build 18362.418)

:)

Vlad1mir, Nov 4, 2019
  2. Edwin Win User

Enabled Scroll Ability for Taskbar Toolbar Menus?

QTTabBar

Taskbar toolbar menu delays - Difficult to explain - Bear with me [​IMG]

Edwin, Nov 4, 2019
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Naki, Nov 4, 2019
  4. Taskbar toolbar menu delays - Difficult to explain - Bear with me

Enabled Scroll Ability for Taskbar Toolbar Menus?

I've used the Desktop Toolbar on my taskbar for ages now.

My one complaint has always been the fact that I can't scroll through the list with my mouse wheel. I have to point my cursor to the arrow at the edges of the menu for it to scroll up/down. *cry

Is there any way to get what I'm asking for? *Think

That Random Guy, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

Taskbar toolbar menu delays - Difficult to explain - Bear with me

1. Taskbar toolbar menu delays - Difficult to explain - Bear with me - Similar Threads - Taskbar toolbar menu

2. TASKBAR - TOOLBAR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TASKBAR - TOOLBAR: It will be very helpful and time saving if we can have taskbar toolbar functions back in windows 11. Toolbar was really time saving and an excellent feature of windows. is there a plan to bring the toolbar back in windows 11? otherwise, many users potentially will switch back...
  3. TASKBAR - TOOLBAR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TASKBAR - TOOLBAR: It will be very helpful and time saving if we can have taskbar toolbar functions back in windows 11. Toolbar was really time saving and an excellent feature of windows. is there a plan to bring the toolbar back in windows 11? otherwise, many users potentially will switch back...
  4. Toolbar and Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toolbar and Start Menu: Why can't I put all apps, shortcuts, tools etc in the task bar or start menu easily and have nothing on the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolbar-and-start-menu/ac0c2a7f-3688-4153-9e6a-6d6c2e827263
  5. Toolbar and Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toolbar and Start Menu: Why can't I put all apps, shortcuts, tools etc in the task bar or start menu easily and have nothing on the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolbar-and-start-menu/ac0c2a7f-3688-4153-9e6a-6d6c2e827263
  6. I'm on mobile so bear with me.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm on mobile so bear with me.: A few months ago I signed in on my wife's desktop and made me an account using my Microsoft account and set myself as administrator because I got tired of having to enter her long ass password everytime I wanted to do something. I didn't tell her I did this and she wasn't...
  7. Custom toolbars menu disappeared from taskbar RMB menu in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom toolbars menu disappeared from taskbar RMB menu in windows 10: Hello, I had custom toolbars in windows 10 but after a while they disappeared and I don't find anyway to restore or create them as you can see in the screenshot. I searched in the net if there is a solution or it is just Microsoft who removed the menu from Windows 10 but I...
  8. When clicking start menu, toolbar on taskbar disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    When clicking start menu, toolbar on taskbar disappears: I've attached a video below of the problem. When clicking the start menu, one of my toolbars (Media Monkey Media Player) disappears for some reason, and re-appears when releasing from the start menu. I've checked every option in Media Monkey and haven' t found a good reason...
  9. Difficult to explain problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Difficult to explain problem: But hopefully this screenshot will help. https://i.imgur.com/37gjwFj.png I reinstalled Windows (Fall Creators Update 1709), and I'm sure this wasn't the case before. As you can see, on the E: drive the text below how much space is free is not shown like for the other...
  10. toolbar/taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    toolbar/taskbar: Hi new to this page and hoping for some desperately needed help!!!!! I have windows 10 now ( i think a mistake and can't go back) but my tool/task bar won't auto hide. Somedays it will for a moment or opening new tabs, then it jusy stays put and won't go away..... Any ideas...