Windows 10: Taskbar, toolbar, windows icon, cortana not working

Discus and support Taskbar, toolbar, windows icon, cortana not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I can't click on my taskbar, I can't use cortana, I can't even use the search bar to search for any kind of settings. I can't even click on the wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PersephonexD, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Taskbar, toolbar, windows icon, cortana not working

I can't click on my taskbar, I can't use cortana, I can't even use the search bar to search for any kind of settings. I can't even click on the wifi icon on the taskbar. I tried the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in command prompt, I also tried this: Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage
    Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online, I also reset windows explorer in task manager. I tried to reboot my computer in safe mode, there the task bar and windows icon and cortana worked but it wouldn't let me use the internet or use my anti-virus software. I even tried to create a different user account but it still didn't work. So now I have no idea what to do. I hope you can help me somehow.

Thanks in advance

:)

PersephonexD, Oct 9, 2018

2. Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

There has been an issue with the Windows taskbar which drives me crazy. It has been a problem since Windows XP and the "skinning" of the underlying user interface controls. It still persists in Windows 10.

When using a Toolbar on the Taskbar and the icon size is set to "small", the clickable targets are smaller than the vertical height of the taskbar. No problem, right? Either make the taskbar icon set to "small" as well and the clickable target area matches.

But what if I like the large buttons to click on? Setting the Toolbar (not taskbar!) icons to Large causes the taskbar vertical height to increase. This is fine for the Toolbar, but the application icons in the Taskbar now have an unclickable space beneath
    them. See image below (not my image... found online when trying to find a solution to this.)

Taskbar, toolbar, windows icon, cortana not working 6f777bb5-ca6a-4272-baa3-52616c5b675b.png

This doesn't happen in Windows 7 when using the "Windows Classic" scheme... so the problem must derive from the Aero skinning of the taskbar.

To recreate:

• Right click on the taskbar and Unlock it.
    • Ensure taskbar is set to "large icons" mode from Taskbar properties dialog box.
    • Right click an empty area of the taskbar and create a new Toolbar.
    • Right click on the label of the toolbar and choose View > Large Icons
    This wouldn't necessarily be an issue if the clickable region of the Application Icons was the full vertical height of the visible taskbar. It also wouldn't be an issue if the Toolbar "Large Icons" setting didn't have icons bigger than the Application Icons.

If there is a registry hack or other solution PLEASE let me know! I have had this problem with Toolbars since Windows XP, and the Toolbars are essential to my workflow.

Thanks!

spiffyfitz, Oct 9, 2018
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Arctucas Win User

Taskbar, toolbar, windows icon, cortana not working

Desktop Toolbar - Registry Hacking?

I use Quick Launch Toolbar rather than Desktop Toolbar. You may add or subtract icons as you please; for example, the Recycle Bin.

Arctucas, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

Taskbar, toolbar, windows icon, cortana not working

1. Taskbar, toolbar, windows icon, cortana not working - Similar Threads - Taskbar toolbar icon

2. Windows 10 Pro Taskbar Toolbar Icon size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro Taskbar Toolbar Icon size: This may be an easy solution. For windows 7 to 10 and I believe earlier I've been using small taskbar icons with a toolbar of custom shortcuts. I've enlarged the taskbar slightly so the small icons would show 2 rows instead of one Toolbars, Taskbar, and Notification section....
  3. Windows 10 Pro Taskbar Toolbar Icon size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro Taskbar Toolbar Icon size: This may be an easy solution. For windows 7 to 10 and I believe earlier I've been using small taskbar icons with a toolbar of custom shortcuts. I've enlarged the taskbar slightly so the small icons would show 2 rows instead of one Toolbars, Taskbar, and Notification section....
  4. RDP changing taskbar toolbar icon size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP changing taskbar toolbar icon size: This is very weird, and is only affecting taskbar icons set up in the taskbar, not toolbar icons.If I log directly into the laptop, both icons are displayed as the same small size, as seen below.But if I RDP into the same laptop at a higher resolution, toolbar icons stay the...
  5. RDP changing taskbar toolbar icon size

in Windows 10 Customization
    RDP changing taskbar toolbar icon size: This is very weird, and is only affecting taskbar icons set up in the taskbar, not toolbar icons.If I log directly into the laptop, both icons are displayed as the same small size, as seen below.But if I RDP into the same laptop at a higher resolution, toolbar icons stay the...
  6. Icon only representation for a taskbar toolbar

Icon only representation for a taskbar toolbar: Is icon only representation for a user-created taskbar toolbar possible?I added a folder as a taskbar toolbar to taskbar/tray.Even if I assign an icon to that folder via its deskto.ini, only folder's name as text is displayed as toolbar title/name.Playing with...
  7. Toolbar Icons not Taskbar Icons disappear for Microsoft Apps

Toolbar Icons not Taskbar Icons disappear for Microsoft Apps: This is probably the way that it is, so nothing can be done. I use a single Toolbar for certain Apps. Both Microsoft and 3rd Party. I copy the shortcuts from: Explorer Shell:AppsFolder into the Toolbar folder. I rename those copied shortcuts. The Icons shortcuts...
  8. Taskbar toolbar Icons

Taskbar toolbar Icons: Hi Ever since I think windows 98, I have had a particular setup on Windows and I am so used to it that I really don't want to change it. I recently bought a Dell laptop and upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro The Setup I have is that I have the task bar on auto-hide on the...
  9. Windows 10 taskbar toolbars not expanding to show icons

Windows 10 taskbar toolbars not expanding to show icons: After a system restart the custom toolbars I have on my taskbar will not show the icons when clicked to expand, it will only show a thin gray line. I already ran DISM/SFC, unchecked and re-added the toolbars, verified the folders related to the toolbars and icons are there....
  10. Windows 10 taskbar toolbar icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 taskbar toolbar icons: I've been looking all over the paces and was not able to find any inteligent answer. Recently I lost my icons sort order for Quick Launch toolbar. any time after I move icons around to place all in some logical (to me) order, the next time I reboot the computer they are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. citrix toolbar icons not working with monarch software

2. Custom Toolbar on the Windows 7 Taskbar .exe not working