Windows 10: Taskbar will not increase or decrease height, even when unlocked

Discus and support Taskbar will not increase or decrease height, even when unlocked in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I thought one could make the taskbar shorter or taller in Windows 10. But even with taskbar unlocked, when I move the cursor over the taskbar and get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Paul Rittman, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Taskbar will not increase or decrease height, even when unlocked

I thought one could make the taskbar shorter or taller in Windows 10. But even with taskbar unlocked, when I move the cursor over the taskbar and get the double arrow, I cannot either lift or lower it.

Any suggestions?

:)

Paul Rittman, Mar 30, 2020

2. Weird Taskbar Orientation

tdemeola,

Welcome to the forum!

It is hard to tell the orientation of the TaskBar in the capture...

• However, to decrease the height of the TaskBar, right-click on its empty area, and uncheck: Lock taskbar (if checked)
    • Place the mouse pointer at the top edge of the TaskBar until the pointer changes into a double-headed arrow.
    • Drag the TaskBar toward the bottom of the screen to decrease the height.
    • Lock the TaskBar by right-clicking on its empty area, and check: Lock the TaskBar
    Hope this helps!

cottonball, Mar 30, 2020
  3. Ethan B. Win User
    taskbar

Hey Mary1844,

If you can't get it narrower by unlocking the taskbar and dragging it on the top to the bottom, you should try using small taskbar icons.

Right-click on a space on the taskbar, then click Taskbar settings.

Enable "Use small taskbar buttons".

That should decrease the height of the taskbar.

I hope this helps. Let me know.

Ethan B., Mar 30, 2020
  4. Taskbar will not increase or decrease height, even when unlocked

Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

There has been an issue with the Windows taskbar which drives me crazy. It has been a problem since Windows XP and the "skinning" of the underlying user interface controls. It still persists in Windows 10.

When using a Toolbar on the Taskbar and the icon size is set to "small", the clickable targets are smaller than the vertical height of the taskbar. No problem, right? Either make the taskbar icon set to "small" as well and the clickable target area matches.

But what if I like the large buttons to click on? Setting the Toolbar (not taskbar!) icons to Large causes the taskbar vertical height to increase. This is fine for the Toolbar, but the application icons in the Taskbar now have an unclickable space beneath
    them. See image below (not my image... found online when trying to find a solution to this.)

Taskbar will not increase or decrease height, even when unlocked 6f777bb5-ca6a-4272-baa3-52616c5b675b.png

This doesn't happen in Windows 7 when using the "Windows Classic" scheme... so the problem must derive from the Aero skinning of the taskbar.

To recreate:

• Right click on the taskbar and Unlock it.
    • Ensure taskbar is set to "large icons" mode from Taskbar properties dialog box.
    • Right click an empty area of the taskbar and create a new Toolbar.
    • Right click on the label of the toolbar and choose View > Large Icons
    This wouldn't necessarily be an issue if the clickable region of the Application Icons was the full vertical height of the visible taskbar. It also wouldn't be an issue if the Toolbar "Large Icons" setting didn't have icons bigger than the Application Icons.

If there is a registry hack or other solution PLEASE let me know! I have had this problem with Toolbars since Windows XP, and the Toolbars are essential to my workflow.

Thanks!

spiffyfitz, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Taskbar will not increase or decrease height, even when unlocked

1. Taskbar will not increase or decrease height, even when unlocked - Similar Threads - Taskbar increase decrease

2. my storage is decreasing and increasing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my storage is decreasing and increasing: okay this is weird when i opened my laptop this morning i saw thag storage has decreased 6gb but i didnt install anything 15 minutes passed i check again and i see that from 254gb i come to 265gb while doing nothing...
  3. When I decrease my brightness it increases and when I increase is decrease.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I decrease my brightness it increases and when I increase is decrease.: When I decrease my brightness it increases and when I increase is decrease and when I increase to max it shows black screen and again when I decrease for maxblack screen it is showing very low brightness.video of my...
  4. When I decrease my brightness it increases and when I increase is decrease.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I decrease my brightness it increases and when I increase is decrease.: When I decrease my brightness it increases and when I increase is decrease and when I increase to max it shows black screen and again when I decrease for maxblack screen it is showing very low brightness.video of my...
  5. decrease height and width of task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    decrease height and width of task manager: HiHow to decrease the width and height of the task manager. Is it possible like in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/decrease-height-and-width-of-task-manager/3dd4ceed-456f-4807-9446-f5ddf04f4e11
  6. decrease height and width of task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    decrease height and width of task manager: HiHow to decrease the width and height of the task manager. Is it possible like in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/decrease-height-and-width-of-task-manager/3dd4ceed-456f-4807-9446-f5ddf04f4e11
  7. Battery Decreasing - Even when plugged in!

in Windows 10 Support
    Battery Decreasing - Even when plugged in!: Hello, I am using Win 10 Pro and facing an issue with the battery. It is lowering down even when I connect my charger. What can I do? P.S - Using the original Lenovo charger, the battery is also new but not of Lenovo. Edit- I removed the charging wire and then...
  8. Increase Taskbar Height but Keep Single Row?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Increase Taskbar Height but Keep Single Row?: As per the title, I'd like the taskbar to be taller (can be done by dragging it). But then it moves other windows into a 2nd row. I still want it to be one row, so that each window on the taskbar is taller and has a larger area to click on. A third party program is fine,...
  9. How to decrease the smallest height of taskbar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to decrease the smallest height of taskbar?: I use my taskbar on my left side of the notebook (it is a surface device) because it eats up less space while drawing or writing. The thing is that even if I am using the "small icons" option, the taskbar is still a little bit too large. So I'm asking: is there a way to...
  10. Brightness does not change even after increasing or decreasing it

in Windows 10 Customization
    Brightness does not change even after increasing or decreasing it: Brightness does not change even after increasing or decreasing it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brightness-does-not-change-even-after-increasing/690c641c-5548-42ff-a2ad-c08ab9e650b2