Windows 10: Taskbar/Windows Explorer Crashing on Boot

Discus and support Taskbar/Windows Explorer Crashing on Boot in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just installed a fresh copy of windows on a new PC. My taskbar/star menu/explorer has been acting very weird... Every time I boot: Taskbar will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JackAmick, Feb 1, 2021.

1. JackAmick Win User

Taskbar/Windows Explorer Crashing on Boot

I just installed a fresh copy of windows on a new PC. My taskbar/star menu/explorer has been acting very weird...

Every time I boot:

1. Taskbar will be blank and the windows button will not work
    2. Mousing over the taskbar will show a loading circle
    3. After a minute or two, or if I force restart windows explorer, it'll launch just fine

Sometimes when I boot:

1. Taskbar will be blank and the windows button will not work
    2. Screen will flash every ~30 seconds when windows explorer automatically restarts
    3. Issue will continue until I restart the computer

:)

JackAmick, Feb 1, 2021
  2. Arun B J Win User

Cannot launch File Explorer from taskbar in Windows 10

Hi Juzzy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• First unpin the File Explorer from the task bar.
    • Press Windows + E.
    • And right click on File Explorer in the taskbar.
    • And Pin the File Explorer to Taskbar and Check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Feb 1, 2021
  3. Harvy Win User
    Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Feb 1, 2021
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

1. Taskbar/Windows Explorer Crashing on Boot - Similar Threads - Taskbar Explorer Crashing

2. Issue with Windows Explorer & Taskbar constantly crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Windows Explorer & Taskbar constantly crashing: Hey guys, I’ve been having this issue for the past few weeks where I am unable to access anything with the windows explorer, my taskbar is consistently crashing; and any attempt at win+r or win+s is just met with the taskbar crashing again and nothing happening. I’ve tried...
  3. Issue with Windows Explorer & Taskbar constantly crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with Windows Explorer & Taskbar constantly crashing: Hey guys, I’ve been having this issue for the past few weeks where I am unable to access anything with the windows explorer, my taskbar is consistently crashing; and any attempt at win+r or win+s is just met with the taskbar crashing again and nothing happening. I’ve tried...
  4. Issue with Windows Explorer & Taskbar constantly crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Clicking File Explorer in Taskbar causes crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking File Explorer in Taskbar causes crash: A few days ago, I started receiving a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error anytime I clicked File Explorer in the taskbar, provided a window wasn't already open. Explorer would crash, restart, and the icon would work for about a minute, before clicking it caused another crash....
  6. No icons loading on taskbar, clicking on it crashed windows explorer

No icons loading on taskbar, clicking on it crashed windows explorer: When i boot up my PC from cold, the task bar loads in without any icons on it. it is unresponsive to single clicks. if i double click anywhere on the taskbar, all of windows explorer crashes and restarts. about 6 times out of 10 after the crash my taskbar icons appear and...
  7. Taskbar / Windows Explorer repeatedly crashing / flashing / resetting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taskbar / Windows Explorer repeatedly crashing / flashing / resetting: Ever since I installed the latest update, my taskbar and Explorer have been going nuts. I've rolled back my updates for months, and turned off Windows update to prevent it. So months after its release, I finally reinstalled Version 21H1 again, and am continuing to have the...
  8. Windows Explorer Crashes After Booting to Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Explorer Crashes After Booting to Desktop: Hello,I just built a new desktop computer. The components are: AMD Ryzen 5600X, AORUS X570 Elite WIFI, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z NEO, WD SN750 NVMe SSD, and an EVGA 3080TI. I used Windows Installation Media Tool to make a bootable USB to install Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Windows...
  9. File Explorer or Taskbar keep crashing

File Explorer or Taskbar keep crashing: After one of countless updates my PC is having problems. If I click an open file folder, or group of file folders on the taskbar, my screen goes black. Then, desktop restarts. My open programs are restored after this failure. Any open folders are closed. Also closed are...
  10. Taskbar freezes, windows explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar freezes, windows explorer crashes.: I need help fixing this! I cant reformat my PC though. 101168