Windows 10: Taskhostw.exe uses 24GB of RAM and freezes/crashed my PC

Discus and support Taskhostw.exe uses 24GB of RAM and freezes/crashed my PC in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; First off: Windows 10 Professional build 17134 Intel i5-6500 3.2GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM MSI GeForce GTX1070 8GB So for the past two weeks I've been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Brother Beard, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Taskhostw.exe uses 24GB of RAM and freezes/crashed my PC

First off:

• Windows 10 Professional build 17134
    • Intel i5-6500 3.2GHz
    • 8GB DDR4 RAM
    • MSI GeForce GTX1070 8GB

So for the past two weeks I've been having problems with my Windows 10 Pro machine:

• Applications will start to give errors, usually memory related
    • Chrome won't work anymore
    • Task Manager won't open
    • Suddenly both my screens turn black
    • Computer is completely frozen, I can't do anything and no sounds or anything play (Ctrl+Alt+Del, Ctrl+Shift+Esc, Alt+Tab don't work)

All that's left for me to do is to hard reboot my PC.

So I've been digging around, trying to find out what was going on. The Event View told me something was wrong with my memory. So here's what I tried

• Ran a Windows Defender offline scan
    • Used MalwareBytes to scan my PC
    • Updated my GPU drivers
    • Increased the Pagefile from max 16GB to max 24GB (I have 8GB DDR4)
    • Ran "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" and "sfc /scannow", found and fixed some errors, problems persist
    • Ran MemTest86, no errors found

I then decided to keep the Resource Monitor open and when I came back to my PC a while later I noticed it had pretty much frozen, but I could still see the Resource Monitor. Everything seemed to be normal but "taskhostw.exe" was using up 24GB or memory!

So that explains why I kept getting memory errors and why my pagefile was filling up. Any fix for this?

:)

Brother Beard, Oct 2, 2018
  2. mikel33 Win User

Which of these motherboards for 24GB 1600Mhz RAM???

Are you also suggesting that I go with the Rampage Extreme?

mikel33, Oct 2, 2018
  3. Glenn1200 Win User
    Desktop using 23,9/24GB of RAM

So recently I installed an additional 16GB of RAM in my pc and everything was runnning fine. I upgraded to Windows 10 and installed all the programs I use etc.
    Now my pc was always using around 30% of the ram, however it soon became 60% and now it is using 99% from startup.

Here are some steps I already performed with the results from those steps:

• I ran a virus scan, with nothing showing up
    • I checked my startup programs, nothing wrong with it in my eyes
    • I ran sfc /scannow which showed up with nothing aswell
    • I ran Kasperky AntiRootKit, nothing showed up
    • I ran Malwarebytes which showed up clean
    • I ran SuperAntiSpyware professional, nothing showed up(except some cookies which are deleted now
    • I ran WPR -cancel in CMD, No trace profiles running

The programs that start when my PC boots are:

Taskhostw.exe uses 24GB of RAM and freezes/crashed my PC qOZbQ8v.png

I hope anyone of you can help me find a solution to this. I know windows10 leverages memory better than windows 7, but it shouldnt be 100% use even when idle.

Here is a screenshot of my resource monitor:

Taskhostw.exe uses 24GB of RAM and freezes/crashed my PC 77QpSGa.png

Glenn1200, Oct 2, 2018
  4. ORVILLEM Win User

Taskhostw.exe uses 24GB of RAM and freezes/crashed my PC

Windows 10 shows Installed RAM 24GB (16GB usable)

I've upgraded from Windows 7 professional to Windows 10 professional. I purchased the PC with Windows 7 Home Premium but later updated to Windows 7 Professional. When I was using Windows 7 Pro the system recognized and used the 24GB RAM I've installed. Since
    upgrading to Windows 10 Pro it shows that only 16GB RAM is usuable of the 24GB installed. I've tried using the msconfig option and it shows maximum memory to be 24GB.

I need help.

ORVILLEM, Oct 2, 2018
Thema:

Taskhostw.exe uses 24GB of RAM and freezes/crashed my PC

1. Taskhostw.exe uses 24GB of RAM and freezes/crashed my PC - Similar Threads - Taskhostw exe uses

2. PC frequently freezes when using 2 RAM sticks.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC frequently freezes when using 2 RAM sticks.: Okay , so , i got 2x2 DDR2 sticks , it is an old PC , each of them working alone is fine , but when i plug in the other stick my pc starts to freeze and is making some weird noises when it happens.I took it to pc-service and they told me everything is fine "both ram sticks...
  3. PC frequently freezes when using 2 RAM sticks.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC frequently freezes when using 2 RAM sticks.: Okay , so , i got 2x2 DDR2 sticks , it is an old PC , each of them working alone is fine , but when i plug in the other my pc starts to freeze and my pc makes some weird noises when it happens.I took it to pc-service and they told me everything is fine "both ram sticks are...
  4. PC frequently freezes when using 2 RAM sticks.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC frequently freezes when using 2 RAM sticks.: Okay , so , i got 2x2 DDR2 sticks , it is an old PC , each of them working alone is fine , but when i plug in the other my pc starts to freeze and my pc makes some weird noises when it happens.I took it to pc-service and they told me everything is fine "both ram sticks are...
  5. windows 10 doesnt allow programs to use more than 24gb of ram why ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 doesnt allow programs to use more than 24gb of ram why ?: when i run 3ds max and i do simulation in it using phoenix fd when the ram usage hit 24gb , 3ds max crash and same with houdini fx , why i cant use more than 75% of ram capacity ? my laptop specs: i7 7700hq 32gb ddr4 2666Mhz gtx1060 6gb . [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. My PC crashes and freezes

My PC crashes and freezes: Hello, Everytime i'm trying to play wow it freezes my PC and i have to manually restart my PC, when i check my PC event viewer i get event 10110 & 10111 As this crash only happens when im playing Wow and i tried with many different games and they all work fine. this is...
  7. Can I mix 2x4GB ram with 2x8GB ram for a total of 24GB?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I mix 2x4GB ram with 2x8GB ram for a total of 24GB?: I currently have 2x4GB DDR3 ram @1600MHz and I'm planning to insert 2x8GB DDR3 advertised as 1866MHz, but pretty sure it's actually 1600 being capable of 1866 using X.M.P. Will I be fine using both of these types and running both on 1866MHz using X.M.P?...
  8. How to reduce RAM usage? 21/24GB RAM used

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to reduce RAM usage? 21/24GB RAM used: Please advise Shared album - Miggitsog3 - Google Photos Shared album - Miggitsog3 - Google Photos 138213
  9. Taskhostw.exe uses 24GB of RAM and freezes/crashes my PC

Taskhostw.exe uses 24GB of RAM and freezes/crashes my PC: First off: Windows 10 Professional build 17134 Intel i5-6500 3.2GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM MSI GeForce GTX1070 8GB So for the past two weeks I've been having problems with my Windows 10 Pro machine: Applications will start to give errors, usually memory related Chrome won't work...
  10. Desktop using 23,9/24GB of RAM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop using 23,9/24GB of RAM: So recently I installed an additional 16GB of RAM in my pc and everything was runnning fine. I upgraded to Windows 10 and installed all the programs I use etc. Now my pc was always using around 30% of the ram, however it soon became 60% and now it is using 99% from startup....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskhostw.exe uses graphic laptop

2. taskhostw.exe crashes