Windows 10: Taskhostw is repeating the same functions every second and playing a sound

Discus and support Taskhostw is repeating the same functions every second and playing a sound in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; To start off, I have completed the following steps: -Dism check and restore - sfc - Restoro system check - Virus scan Taskhostw continuously runs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Aric Taylor, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Taskhostw is repeating the same functions every second and playing a sound

To start off, I have completed the following steps:

-Dism check and restore

- sfc

- Restoro system check

- Virus scan

Taskhostw continuously runs a create, query, close sequence every 1-2 seconds and plays Windows Background.wav every second. Yes, very annoying.

This ONLY happens when a certain program is open - Trader Workstation stock trading platform.

The sounds are not coming from the application or any setting I have in the program.

For some reason, the taskhostw command starts ONLY when the trading program is open. It stops as soon as I close the program. This is verified by Process monitor.

As a troubleshooting step, I temporarily renamed taskhostw in the system32 folder. The Trading program opened and worked fine no looping sound. I changed the name back.

I know taskhostw can sometimes be compromised, but everything indicates this is not the case.

Taskhostw is repeating the same functions every second and playing a sound [​IMG]

:)

Aric Taylor, Apr 18, 2021

2. No sound while playing audio and video files.

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer to a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Which is the application that you are using to play the files?
    • Did you try the same on a different player?
    • Did you perform any troubleshooting steps?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check if the volume is set low or in mute state in Volume Mixer.

• Right click on sound icon.
    • Open Volume Mixer check for the application that you are playing the files with and increase the volume and check.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to run “Playing audio” troubleshooter to diagnose and fix the issue.

Follow these Steps to run Playing Audio Troubleshooter in Windows 10.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Playing audio.

Also refer: Fix sound problems in Windows 10

Hope the information helps in resolving the issue related to the sound issue. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 18, 2021
  3. GIL
    gil Win User
    Windows sound not playing after recent Win10 Update

Hi all,

Symptom:
    Since last windows update, windows doesn't play the windows sounds: Startup, UAC sound, exclamation, warning, notifications, etc.

Note: Other sounds, like games, videos, calls are working well.

I use SoundBlaster Z series sound card. Their recent driver update release notes lists that the driver is fixing this issue.

Actions taken:
    Removed the driver completely
    rebooted
    Reinstalled the driver

Results:
    After initial boot and subsequent restarts, the windows sounds play well.
    After a computer shutdown and startup - the above symptom is introduced again, i.e., windows sounds don't play anymore.

I've repeated the steps above and ended up with the same problem.

Can anyone please assist?

Win10 Pro
    Version 1909
    OS Build 18363.657

Thanks.

4. Taskhostw is repeating the same functions every second and playing a sound

Sound problem

Hi,

We need to investigate further so that we can identify the cause of the issue. We suggest running the Troubleshooter and see if it helps. Follow the steps below:

• Type and select Troubleshooting on the Search bar/Cortana.
    • Click Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Playing Audio under Sound.
    • Follow the steps that will be provided.
    If the steps does not work. We suggest downloading a fresh copy of the audio driver from Realtek and see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Apr 18, 2021
Thema:

Taskhostw is repeating the same functions every second and playing a sound

1. Taskhostw is repeating the same functions every second and playing a sound - Similar Threads - Taskhostw repeating same

2. Desktop repeatedly restarts every 2 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop repeatedly restarts every 2 seconds: I just reset my laptop and reinstalled the OS win11 pro insider. After the introductory interchange, after logging on the desktop keeps restarting itself, i.e., blanks screen, redraws the background, paints the two icons recycle bin and ms edge, then the toolbar appears. A...
  3. Desktop repeatedly restarts every 2 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop repeatedly restarts every 2 seconds: I just reset my laptop and reinstalled the OS win11 pro insider. After the introductory interchange, after logging on the desktop keeps restarting itself, i.e., blanks screen, redraws the background, paints the two icons recycle bin and ms edge, then the toolbar appears. A...
  4. Sound Glichting every few seconds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound Glichting every few seconds.: Hello.I've been having audio problems on my Windows 11 PC for a few weeks now. The sound interrupts, skips and distorts every few seconds. These problems occur when I listen to music from the browser, WMP or when I play games. I tried uninstalling the drivers, undoing Windows...
  5. Sound Glichting every few seconds.

Sound Glichting every few seconds.: Hello.I've been having audio problems on my Windows 11 PC for a few weeks now. The sound interrupts, skips and distorts every few seconds. These problems occur when I listen to music from the browser, WMP or when I play games. I tried uninstalling the drivers, undoing Windows...
  6. Repeat Notification Sound every x seconds Until I click On Notification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeat Notification Sound every x seconds Until I click On Notification: Hi,I extended the timer for notification to appear for long, until I click on it. I also want the sound to be repeated every say 30 seconds until I click on the notification. Is here a possibility to set this up maybe with registry etc. - I am proficient IT person, so you can...
  7. Repeat Notification Sound every x seconds Until I click On Notification

Repeat Notification Sound every x seconds Until I click On Notification: Hi,I extended the timer for notification to appear for long, until I click on it. I also want the sound to be repeated every say 30 seconds until I click on the notification. Is here a possibility to set this up maybe with registry etc. - I am proficient IT person, so you can...
  8. Repeat Notification Sound every x seconds Until I click On Notification

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. The USB disconnect sound, randomly started playing on repeat every few seconds. I don't...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The USB disconnect sound, randomly started playing on repeat every few seconds. I don't...: Yesterday out of nowhere it started playing, I restarted my pc but it kept playing when it turned back on. there was no device being plugged or unplugged, it even played when nothing was plugged in. I ended up making it so the device disconnect action just had no sound in...
  10. Constant disconnecting sound every second

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Constant disconnecting sound every second: So, I arrived home today and got onto my PC. I kept having Bluetooth problems last time I used it, which was Tuesday, but I did fix it by reinstalling the Bluetooth driver. Now, when I came home today, my computer started acting up by constantly playing the "disconnecting...