Windows 10: Taskmanager / Start Button / Apps / Shut down (and more) won't work

Discus and support Taskmanager / Start Button / Apps / Shut down (and more) won't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I just read the thread of Louise M (https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...hing-else.html) who had a quite similar problem to mine. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Yuki, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Yuki Win User

Taskmanager / Start Button / Apps / Shut down (and more) won't work

Hi,

I just read the thread of Louise M (https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...hing-else.html) who had a quite similar problem to mine.

My story: I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 Pro (I have a HP Probook 6560b). Before that I had to remove some HP security software (Fingerprint and face recognition I think. (After W10 was installed there was a little problem with the user account but after a restart it was ok.) After a week I got the following:

Problems after Startup (I call that state "frozen"):
    - Task manager is frozen
    - can't start/connect WiFi
    - can't open Settings
    - IE not working (not opening any website, no menu bar)
    - other apps start really slow (eg. Chrome)
    - can't shut down (have to press power button)

I removed my antivirus program and for 1 day it was ok, then it came back. Additionally I got this after restart:

- I see the Windows Logo, but instead of the login screen I have a black screen + mouse pointer, can't do anything than press power button again

I started in Diagnose mode several times. Sometimes then everything works (like now), sometimes it's also "frozen"

After a few days of trying different things (restart explorer.exe, removing apps from autostart etc) and going back to a Windows Restore point twice I made a clean install of Windows 10...

It worked! - for 3 days. Now again same problem. Argh!

There must be some conflict between Windows 10 and ??? I have some ideas what it miiight be (but I can also be totally wrong):

- Office 2003 (only Word is installed, it's the last app I installed before the "freezing" started again)
    - HP-hotkeys (installed before Office 2003 and removed from autostart but still the same, so maybe not the problem)
    - Cortana (I turned her off but sometimes the search function is not working. I read that killing Cortana in the Task manager will make the search function work - it did)

By the way, after the clean install (saturday 10th october) my Windows is still not active. I read that it can take some time - what is "normal"...?

So... anyone idea's? *Smile It's 1:20 here so I'm gonna sleep now. *Sleepy

:)

2. Sonya L Win User

Win 10 hangs on restart and shutdown

Sorry I haven't seen it since yesterday. It did look like an app, but I have no idea what app would have been running in the background I have disabled all background apps under privacy (but they still show in task manager) the only thing open at the time
    was taskmanager when I went to shut down the laptop. It started to shutdown then I got the "please wait" followed by "these apps are preventing windows from shutting down" which showed me taskmanager and "G" for G there was a white box that looked like the
    installer boxes but, I have nothing that even starts with G on my system.

I use very few apps I keep all the software up to date just puzzled by this "G" and really curious what it could be...

Sonya L, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Unable to turn off PC in Windows 10

I'm unable to click on the windows icon ( the window panes) it won't work at all and my button to select to turn off my computer is gone. Unable to click on select, then start, select power button and then shut down. Now I have to go to the Windows icon,
    right click, select shut down or sign out and then select shut down. How can I get the button or icon back.

VikkiFields, Oct 14, 2015
  4. Taskmanager / Start Button / Apps / Shut down (and more) won't work

I had an identical issue with several parts of the interface not responding, also about a week after install (twice). What eventually fixed it for me was this Powershell command.

heavywater, Oct 14, 2015
  5. JohnC Win User
    JohnC, Oct 14, 2015
  6. Yuki Win User
    Hi heavywater,

I tried but got the message that the command "Get-AppXPackage" is either freshly written or couldn't be found.

7. Yuki Win User
    Hi JohnC,

I will try that one later today. But I installed Windows clean anyway, so I'm afraid repairing won't help *Sad so far all tries to repair didn't have any success...

Yuki, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Taskmanager / Start Button / Apps / Shut down (and more) won't work

1. Taskmanager / Start Button / Apps / Shut down (and more) won't work - Similar Threads - Taskmanager Start Button

2. The windows start button won't work!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The windows start button won't work!: when I clicked the windows start buttonmy mouse cursor turns into a loading cursor for 2 seconds and yet the windows start button still won't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-windows-start-button-wont-work/138c8ab8-1f92-4448-9290-5932801cd297
  3. The windows start button won't work!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The windows start button won't work!: when I clicked the windows start buttonmy mouse cursor turns into a loading cursor for 2 seconds and yet the windows start button still won't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-windows-start-button-wont-work/138c8ab8-1f92-4448-9290-5932801cd297
  4. The windows start button won't work!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down: Hi.I got a weird bug with my PC recently. When I shut down the PC by pressing start -> shut down, the screen goes black for a few seconds like it's shutting down, and then I see a lock screen and login again. Reboot works as expected. If run command `shutdown /s` - the PC...
  6. PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down: Hi.I got a weird bug with my PC recently. When I shut down the PC by pressing start -> shut down, the screen goes black for a few seconds like it's shutting down, and then I see a lock screen and login again. Reboot works as expected. If run command `shutdown /s` - the PC...
  7. How to change Start menu Shut down soft button?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Start menu Shut down soft button?: Hello!Looking for a way how can to what Start menu Shut down soft button does wich GPO. Original GPO policy Computer/Policies>Windows Settings> Administrative templates> System/Power management/Button setting not working.Anyone can give advice for windows 10, how can change...
  8. How to change Start menu Shut down soft button?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change Start menu Shut down soft button?: Hello!Looking for a way how can to what Start menu Shut down soft button does wich GPO. Original GPO policy Computer/Policies>Windows Settings> Administrative templates> System/Power management/Button setting not working.Anyone can give advice for windows 10, how can change...
  9. Start button won't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start button won't work: Start button won't work and search box inactive. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-wont-work/8e733a66-015e-4533-a2b3-cf4cef4b9745
  10. Power then Shut down Buttons

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power then Shut down Buttons: My choices were: " Power" then "Sleep Shut Down and Restrart." They are now: "Power",then Sleep Update and Shut Down and Update and Restart When I click on "Update and Shut Down", the machine goes back into Restart at once and then takes a long period of time after...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 shut down wont work tenforums