Windows 10: Taskmgr.exe missing

Discus and support Taskmgr.exe missing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Friends I have a Win 10 Pro 64 bit system that was upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 bit. It has been working well for a couple of months now, but now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by calle2015, Oct 21, 2015.

1. calle2015 Win User

Taskmgr.exe missing

Friends

I have a Win 10 Pro 64 bit system that was upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 bit. It has been working well for a couple of months now, but now recently I ran into a strange problem.

When I chose the Taskmanager from the "Start" menu (right-click) it said it cannot find the ...system32/taskmgr.ext file.

Then when I clicked on the OK button the system asked if I am ok to run udefrag.exe. If I said Yes, then it opened a CMD window and it did some short defrag. That program is the Ultimate Defrag program that I installed some time ago. I then uninstalled that program. But it did not bring the taskmanager back.

So next I did CTRL-ALT-DEL and chose Taskmanager, but nothing happens when I click Task Manager in the list!
    Next I went to the system32 and looking for Taskmgr.exe but it is not there! No wonder it cannot run. :-(

So next I got out the install media, my DVD for Win 10 Pro 64 bit and looked for install.wim. I can open it using 7-zip but I cannot even find that .exe file in there under the system32 folder.

I also ran the sfc /scannow but it did not find that file either and reported no errors.

So how can I get the taskmgr.exe file re-installed onto my system? Is it available somewhere on the MS sites or elsewhere? Or is it hiding somwhere else in the install.wim file outside the system32 folder? Or has MS changed the location of the file or changed it's name or what??

Thanks for any help with this.

Carl

:)

calle2015, Oct 21, 2015

2. Power Icon Does Not Work and Task Manager is Missing

Thank for the quick reply.

I am using Malwarebytes and it seems to have quarantined one of the issues. I have run the scan several times but there are no detectable issues.

I am just missing the taskmgr.exe program.

Is there a way to just download taskmgr.exe for Windows 10?

MarciaKapustin, Oct 21, 2015
  3. Can't find file "C:/WINDOWS/system32/taskmgr.exe",but taskmgr.exe is overthere...

Hi,

This is most likely caused by a malware attaching to Taskmgr.exe (adding the "Debugger" registry value). Running a MalwareBytes scan should help. Linney's post above has the link to MalwareBytes.

To quickly determine if a program is attached to Taskmgr.exe using "debugger" registry value, press WinKey + R and type the following command:

cmd /k reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Taskmgr.exe" /s

Post back the output here.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 21, 2015
  4. calle2015 Win User

Taskmgr.exe missing

Ok, solved, but not sure why and how. *Think

I downloaded the Sysinternals suite and ran the Process Explorer program. That works nicely.
    Then I chose the option in Process Explorer that causes it to replace the Windows built-in Taskmanager.

Next I pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL and suddenly the Windows 10 built-in Taskmanager works again!
    But still the taskmgr.exe is not in the system32 folder. So i am really confused.

But at least it works again. So thanks for listening.

Calle

calle2015, Oct 21, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    No taskmgr.exe in System32.

This is where it's found on my Win 10 Pro X64 Laptop.

Taskmgr.exe missing [​IMG]

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Taskmgr.exe missing

1. Taskmgr.exe missing - Similar Threads - Taskmgr exe missing

2. Process now shown in TaskMgr?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Process now shown in TaskMgr?: According to WMIC,v:\> wmic process where name='fontdrvhost.exe' get processid,nameName ProcessIdfontdrvhost.exe 1164fontdrvhost.exe 1172TaskMgr details, sorted by name showsWhy isn't process 1172 shown by TaskMgr? It is the only process known to WMI which is not shown by...
  3. Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe

Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe: I have just bought a new computer, and I've downloaded Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 through steam, and every time i'm trying to open the game I am getting the error message of the following C:\ProgramData\Package...
  4. Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe: I have just bought a new computer, and I've downloaded Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 through steam, and every time i'm trying to open the game I am getting the error message of the following C:\ProgramData\Package...
  5. YourPhone .exe missing

YourPhone .exe missing: Your phone stopped working after a Windows reinstall by a Microsoft tech. I have discovered that yourphone.exe is missing from my computer after including hidden files in the search. I can't get any help from Microsoft support because the techs keep taking steps designed to...
  6. YourPhone .exe missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    YourPhone .exe missing: Your phone stopped working after a Windows reinstall by a Microsoft tech. I have discovered that yourphone.exe is missing from my computer after including hidden files in the search. I can't get any help from Microsoft support because the techs keep taking steps designed to...
  7. taskmgr Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    taskmgr Error: the error So when I try to open taskmgr it gives me this error.I am running windows 10 version 20H2. winverCan You help me with this error please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskmgr-error/52447d56-3ae4-4c4b-a194-c85dc9731fe2
  8. 2 taskmgr windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    2 taskmgr windows: How is it still possible to have more than one taskmgr instance open? it was once, before, in winxp I can't find any way to have more than one, now win10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-taskmgr-windows/bd475ec0-9572-4f5e-bda3-7d8011e58884
  9. Exe files gone missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exe files gone missing: so my pc ran into a problem , i had to fix it with system restore . at first everything seems normal and i saw my desktop without any icons in it except the preinstalled apps , then i checked my files installed ... ALL the files is fine EXCEPT ALL OF MY EXE FILES ARE GONE...
  10. Exe files missing

Exe files missing: Logged on to find one of my shortcuts Streamlabs chat bot isnt working. Getting the error that its moved. I did a search and the only results were in a deep folder under user\appdata\local\packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\localstate\appiconcache\100. There...