Windows 10: Teamviewer Possibly Hacked

Discus and support Teamviewer Possibly Hacked in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; TeamViewer denies hack after PCs hijacked, PayPal accounts drained Updated TeamViewer users say their computers were hijacked and bank... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by simrick, Jun 1, 2016.

1. simrick Win User

Teamviewer Possibly Hacked

TeamViewer denies hack after PCs hijacked, PayPal accounts drained

Read more here:
    TeamViewer denies hack after PCs hijacked, PayPal accounts drained • The Register

Time to use the Whitelist feature and 2-factor authentication.

EDIT: Update
    TeamViewer Launches New Security Tools After This Weeks Mysterious Events

:)

simrick, Jun 1, 2016

2. Possibly Hacked

Thank you for your time sir. Teamviewer Possibly Hacked :) Rest assured Ive learned my lesson.

Domingo2462, Jun 1, 2016
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    Possibly Hacked

No don't delete them, they provide history both for you and anyone lese attempting to help you.

I understand that "one guy" agreed that you have malware, but he also gave no indication at all why he believed this to be true. That person had also first joined these forums on Oct. 23rd and most of his responses in threads appear to have been on Oct
    25th - 26th, with at least some questionable answers to other questions regarding Microsoft security products.

As I mentioned in the previous thread, there's nothing within those log entries which would indicate that malware was present, since neither has anything to do with malware itself.

So the best recommendation I have is that you try running some alternative manual security product scans such as Malwarebytes Antimalware Free and/or other on demand scanners recommended by those like Jsssssssss, Le Boule or others here with some true long
    term reputation for helping others.

I prefer not to get involved in malware removal discussions, since I spend little time doing this myself, as my own systems and those I set up for friends are highly secured to begin with and so rarely experience true malware. I only posted in your last
    thread to inform you that those logs weren't really suspicious, since I knew what they actually were.

What is happening to you is a relatively common occurrence in today's technical world, where the Windows based computer has had 35 years of time to develop as a highly complex system with literally thousands of software modules, many performing hidden tasks
    and containing strange sounding names. Without either the training or other background required to understand these, many may seem to be secretive or even malicious when in truth they're simply part of the long history of Windows itself.

This isn't meant to say that malware may not be present, only that from your description(s) I don't see it as the likely cause of most of the items you've detailed above. However, since you've also mentioned your use of torrents, which you know are inherently
    dangerous, you may have attracted something malicious, so the safest course of action is to verify that this is true.

If you don't have the knowledge to protect yourself from the potential malware that dangerous browsing such as torrents are known to involve, you simply shouldn't be doing this. It's a foolish and unnecessary risk since anything of true value is available
    from much safer locations. Free software is NEVER truly free any longer, so don't fool yourself into believing that this is true.

Rob

Rob Koch, Jun 1, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Unfortunately 2-factor authentication doesn't help, users have reported that they have been a victim of this too with 2-factor enabled.

My source is the best Dutch tech site called Tweakers:
    Gebruikers klagen over diefstal via TeamViewer-software - IT Pro - Nieuws - Tweakers
    Translation:
    Even users with 2-factor authentication and strong passwords for their TeamViewer-account are victim.

axe0, Jun 1, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Not good. Wonder how they get past that?

simrick, Jun 2, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    It looks like TeamViewer has made changes, they're introducing 2 things for better security. This has come public in an open letter to customers.

1. Trusted Devices: this function makes that the user must mark a new device as trusted device when someone wants to login for the first time. The user can mark a device as trusted by clicking on an automatic generated link in an e-mail.

2. Data integrity: this functions looks for unusual behavior. Unusual behavior can occur with for example login attempts from unknown IP's. If the system detects any unusual behavior then the password will be resetted and the user will receive instructions for how to reconfigure their passwords.

TeamViewer says that the cause of the problem is from databreaches of the hacks from LinkedIn, Tumblr & MySpace wherein credentials have been stolen.

Source is Tweakers.net: TeamViewer voegt twee nieuwe beveiligingsfuncties toe na klachten gebruikers - Computer - Nieuws - Tweakers

axe0, Jun 3, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Thanks axe0. I had added a link for that to the first post, but not described it.

Interestingly enough, I think that the data breaches coupled with re-use of passwords is probably the real issue, (usually is), and NOT Teamviewer. Still, it's good to see these additional security measures in place. It's unfortunate for them, that now they will have to "clean the tarnish" off from this episode.

simrick, Jun 3, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

I find that restriction particularly irksome (although I can't think of a better solution). I would have thought that someone who uses TeamViewer would be exactly the type of person who travels a lot and logs in from different IP's as you'd hardly use TeamViewer to connect from your living room PC to the one in your garage.

It isn't just them of course. I got blocked by one of my gmail accounts recently for forgetting my password in the wrong country. They told me to go home and try logging on from a known IP address again bless them.

lx07, Jun 3, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    *Roflmao2*Roflmao2*DohYou're such a trouble-maker!

simrick, Jun 3, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    Oh I really am not and it is absolutely true story (although it was my wifes email not mine if I must be 100% accurate and it was my fault I didn't remember the password as I wasn't really listening).

I felt like they were joking with me though. Go to a different country to log on? Madness.

Someone has joined today with almost exactly your name by the way. Confused me for a second. View Profile: SamRick - Windows 10 Forums

11. simrick Win User
    Uh-oh. I hope he doesn't get me in trouble! *Wink

simrick, Jun 3, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    Not an impossible situation, someone has/had used the last parts of my first and last name to create a User. No way to find out. He/She must have had access to the site's database to learn the information.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Teamviewer Possibly Hacked - Similar Threads - Teamviewer Possibly Hacked

2. Possibly hacked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possibly hacked: I got an email saying I logged in from the US. This is not correct. I don't have access to my authenticator app as my phone was stolen guess this is related to the login from the US as well I'm located in Budapest, Hungary. Cheers, Tor...
  3. Possible hacking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible hacking: Hi, I keep getting texts from microsoft with a verification code, 5 in the last 24hrs. I haven't signed into anything I'd normally get a verification code for and now I've had a phone call that I didn't answer, but when I looked up the number, it seems to be microsoft trying...
  4. Possible hacking

Possible hacking: Hi, I keep getting texts from microsoft with a verification code, 5 in the last 24hrs. I haven't signed into anything I'd normally get a verification code for and now I've had a phone call that I didn't answer, but when I looked up the number, it seems to be microsoft trying...
  5. Possible hacking???

Possible hacking???: I have been stalked recently by a man who is an IT professional. He knew way more about me than he could have unless he had hacked my iPhone and/or Windows laptop, which I hotspot to my phone as I live in the country and sloooow mobile is the only internet I can get. Of...
  6. Possible Hacking?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Possible Hacking?: Can anyone explain why access to a directory/file created in my documents folder and previously accessed is now denied? When I click on to the file, instead of opening the document, a Box appears headed Microsoft Office Word. Beneath the heading there is a yellow triangle...
  7. possible hack

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    possible hack: I was googling support for my printer as it stopped printing. I thought I was on a Brother website, which I now believe I not. I allowed the chat technician to call me. During the conversation, he asked to use team viewer to look at my problem remotely since we could not...
  8. Possible Hack

Possible Hack: The villan who got through my security on my desk top wants $300.00 to fix the problem represented by the above screen shot. First, they locked my computer and gave me an onscreen tx to call to unlock it. After sending them[NTS IT CARE 844-659-9899 some money they unlocked my...
  9. possible hack

possible hack: I have an online email claiming to have my contact list and compromised the anti-virus. I used Norton Power Eraser which found nothing. Should I ignore this problem? How can I be sure there is no Windows Defender compromise?...
  10. possible hack

possible hack: while shutting down my system a notification popped up-stated "someone else is using my computer and if I shut dowm all will be lost" I'm the only one who has access???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/possible-hack/33613b3c-1903-4074-beb5-e2b6ed3c2d02"