Windows 10: Tech scam hit neighbor

Discus and support Tech scam hit neighbor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My elderly neighbor fell victim to the Microsoft tech scam. She let him on to her computer remotely and now when you try to open Windows it asks for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lenberman, Mar 10, 2018.

1. lenberman Win User

Tech scam hit neighbor

My elderly neighbor fell victim to the Microsoft tech scam. She let him on to her computer remotely and now when you try to open Windows it asks for a password. Not a syskey password, but a password that wasn't there before. I thought, OK, I'll get her files off the HD and reload windows, no problem. However, the lock seems to be on the BIOS. The computer is a Dell AIO Inspiron 20. I tried to remove the cmos battery for 20 minutes thinking it would take off the lock, but it's still there. The problem is that when I try to fix it with the media creation tool, I can't because somehow I changed secure boot before the bios locked and I can't return to legacy boot. (those may be backwards)
    Len

:)

lenberman, Mar 10, 2018
  2. CarolLJ Win User

Scam warnings

Follow either my link, or Don's steps, in this thread for getting rid of popup tech support scams. If you follow my link, no need to run those programs since not infection.

Edit: fixed broken link

Pop Up and Voice Alert Microsoft RDN Trojan Worm - Windows 10

Info on tech support scams and how to avoid them:

Tech Support Scams
    Tech Support Scams

Tech Support Scams use new Tricks to Hold Browsers Hostage
    Tech Support Scams use new Tricks to Hold Browsers Hostage

Beware of US-based Tech Support Scams

Beware of US-based Tech Support Scams - Malwarebytes Labs

PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise

PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise - Malwarebytes Labs

CarolLJ, Mar 10, 2018
  3. Tech Scam?

I was called about I have a virus on my computer. They said they were Microsoft support. They went in and did random stuff and this is what they said after.

MONEY ORDER

Need to go to nearest post office and do the money order of $599.99 usd on priority basis to Msupport , and give us the tracking number by calling us on the toll free number : 1-800-498-5006

pay to : Msupport

Address: 5910 great star drive #206

clarksville MD 21029

They also made this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes

Version: 8.1.4 (07.09.2017)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64

Ran by ----(Administrator) on Fri 11/17/2017 at 15:06:19.66

File System: 2

Failed to delete: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\innovative solutions (Folder)

Successfully deleted: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tasks\PCKeeper updater (Task)

Registry: 0

Scan was completed on Fri 11/17/2017 at 15:20:31.32

End of JRT log

Moved from: [Microsoft Education / Sway / Other / Windows 10]

TroySmith1, Mar 10, 2018
  4. Tech scam hit neighbor

Caledon Ken, Mar 10, 2018
  5. lenberman Win User
    It's an "All-in-one" Thanks for the info.
    Len

lenberman, Mar 10, 2018
  6. PolarNettles, Mar 10, 2018
  7. Bastet Win User
    Have you removed the CMOS battery, disconnected all USB devices, unplugged the mains cable/lead & pressed the on/off button for 10 seconds to discharge any remaining power then left it for 20 minutes?
    If it has any other battery if you can remove that as well before discharging any residual power too.
    Once done reconnect everything again & boot up.

Bastet, Mar 10, 2018
  8. lenberman Win User

Tech scam hit neighbor

I couldn't find any jumpers at all on the board. I removed the cmos battery and held the power button. I will leave the battery out overnight. I hope this will wipe out the password.
    Len

lenberman, Mar 11, 2018
  9. spunk Win User
    Remove the HDD from the computer and attach it to a working computer via USB-SATA Adapter, Dock or Enclosure. If the HDD isn't encrypted, you should be able to access the drive and recover it's files.
    After backing up, go to Disk Management and Delete All Partitions so the drive is Unallocated Space. Put the drive back in the troubled computer. If you still can't boot from the Windows installer, restart and press F2 to enter Setup (Bios) If the Bios isn't Password Protected, go to the Security tab, if you see Secure Boot or Fast Boot, disable it or change it to Setup Mode. Go to the Boot tab. If you see UEFI Bios, add or change it to Legacy Bios. Save and Exit. On restart, boot back into the Bios with the Windows Installer in. At the Boot tab, the Windows Installer should show as a Legacy boot device Move this to first boot device, Save and Exit. On reboot, you should boot from the Installer.
    At the Windows installer, choose your Language, then Custom Install. and go Next, Windows will automatically create partitions, and format them during the install.

spunk, Mar 11, 2018
  10. Out of curiosity, does the motherboard at all match the photo in the manual I linked earlier?

PolarNettles, Mar 11, 2018
  11. lenberman Win User
    It didn't match but I could find the battery. There was no visible data on the hard drive, just a single text file called Recovery. so I formatted it. Hopefully tomorrow I will be starting with an operable computer. I had previously removed the data by running a Linux live DVD and copying the files.

lenberman, Mar 11, 2018
  12. Steve C Win User
    I guess you could try reflashing the BIOS if removing the battery doesn't reset the BIOS. This will only work if your existing BIOS will let you boot to a USB drive containing the BIOS update.

Steve C, Mar 11, 2018
  13. Tech scam hit neighbor

Since the computer is an AIO, I found this for a Dell AIO Inspiron 20-3052. The system board is very difficult to make out, but does it resemble what your system board looks like?

Tech scam hit neighbor [​IMG]

You could go on another computer, plug in the Dell service tag number and should be able to access the manual for target computer and look for specific information. If the version isn't 3052 please let us know.
    --- You could also go to Dell on-line support and ask them if there are password reset jumpers on that system: naturally you'll want to explain why.

Since you mention the media creation tool, it appears to me you created install media via a USB or DVD.
    It might be possible to disable Fast Boot.
    --- Use the USB or DVD install media to see if you can get to Command Prompt: hopefully it will allow you to use it as (Admin).
    --- If you can, enter powercfg.exe /hibernate off. If it takes I believe it turns off Fast Boot.
    --- I've read re-starting a computer circumvents Fast Boot but if you actually can set Fast Boot to stay off it's better.

On having changed secure boot and the inability to return to legacy boot (those may be backwards): that's a tough one. However if you can do a System Restore via your install media, maybe that will help: I know that since the BIOS is involved, it might not work but I would consider it based on what else was changed on the computer maybe even in the registry.

MeAndMyComputer, Mar 11, 2018
  14. lenberman Win User
    Left the CMOS battery out all night, then held the power button 30 seconds, but when I put it back together and tried to load windows I received this message: The admin password is set. You cannot access setup until the correct password is entered... System number:6T5NDY1-1F66. (That is the service tag number). I can't seem to get past this.

lenberman, Mar 11, 2018
  15. ThrashZone, Mar 11, 2018
Thema:

Tech scam hit neighbor

1. Tech scam hit neighbor - Similar Threads - Tech scam hit

2. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  3. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  4. Tech support scam popup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Tech support scam popup: A tech support scam page just popped up as I was online, claiming it is my Windows Defender Security Center. WHAT do I do now? How to get rid of it and keep my computer safe? I have not touched anything on the screen/page since it popped up. And I have few technical computer...
  5. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: I fell for a tech support scam a long time ago and the refund overpayment scam I got my money back for the refund scam and now ever since December 2019, they have been ringing me non-stop. Tried blocking the numbers nut they always ring back on different numbers. Any advice?...
  6. tech support scams

tech support scams: What if someone did give remote access to one of these tech support scams? What can they expect and what do they do about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/tech-support-scams/6cf84899-3796-4dda-a0d6-d9f1eaad6b41
  7. Tech support scam?

Tech support scam?: Hello everyone. I have received 3 calls this morning from an uknown number. On the first 2 after hearing "hello" i hung up. I live in Greece and thought that it was a mistake. They called a third time in which i talked to them. They told me that they were calling from...
  8. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: Hello, I received a call which turns out to be the Www.support.me scam I suspected it was something bogus but played along (making him repeat everything a number o times) until reaching the point where he wanted me to connect to www.support.me. At which point he got...
  9. Tech Scam

Tech Scam: I was just scammed by person claiming to be with Microsoft using Microsoft trademark as they got into my computer. I paid no money, but since they gained access to my computer, I assume I'm in danger re bank accounts, etc. What should my next steps be for my safety?...
  10. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: Is myphonesupport a scam? Or are they parteners with microsoft? Made no payments to them and did not allow remote connection. Just want to make sure I talked to safe people....