Windows 10: [Tech Support, Question] Intel RST or ACHI for boot and other questions.

Discus and support [Tech Support, Question] Intel RST or ACHI for boot and other questions. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I've been dealing with this issue since December 2019 and can't solve it. The issue: AMD Drivers refuse to install on AMD Radeon HD 7730M on Dell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Noobgamer0111, Jun 30, 2020.

1. [Tech Support, Question] Intel RST or ACHI for boot and other questions.

So I've been dealing with this issue since December 2019 and can't solve it.

The issue: AMD Drivers refuse to install on AMD Radeon HD 7730M on Dell Inspiron 15R 7520 SE, leaving me with a Code 31.

What I've done (yes, that was a Linkin Park reference): Reinstalled Win 10 3 times. First time to 1909 and then again to 1809. Any attempt to install the drivers would result in an Inaccessible Boot Device BSOD. Intel Drivers for Intel HD Graphics 4000 work fine however.

What I'm considering/planning to do: I'm now interested in changing my boot mode to ACHI from Intel's Rapid Storage Technology (RST) setting in the BIOS. I want to know how this can potentially affect my device and what should I do to reduce the effects/prepare.

Another point: If my device has an improper shutdown (e.g. I hold down the power button), I'm immediately greeted with this Intel RST text thing which says it's collecting some sort of meta-data and other files so I can boot up with no issue. This occurs even before I see the Dell AND the Windows logos

1. How can I access and see what this RST has stored about my device?
    2. What software is needed to access and reset this data so I can install my AMD drivers without my machine crashing?
    3. This data, apparently, is maintained even if I do a full reset of the PC and if I format the boot drive. So where is this stored then?

Notes: I'm aware that this dedicated GPU is considered to be legacy hardware by AMD and Dell. I still however want to use the latest and most optimised driver for my system.

Specs: Dell Inspiron 15R 7520 SE (laptop, released April 2012).

CPU: Intel Core i7-3612QM @ 2.10GHz (QM= Quad Core, Mobile)

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 SODIMM @ 1600MHz

GPU (integrated): Intel HD Graphics 4000

GPU (dedicated): AMD Radeon HD 7730M (2GB VRAM).

submitted by /u/Noobgamer0111
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Noobgamer0111, Jun 30, 2020
  2. zbook Win User

How to use Intel Rapid Storage Tech software with Kyhi boot rescue

When using the Kyhi boot if the Intel RST acceleration can be disabled the 750 GB drive in RAID 0 can then be moved to any computer and the files read.

Intel was contacted regarding the Intel RST and they indicated that the Intel RST is a HP driver.
    HP was contacted regarding the failure to install the driver(s) and they indicated that they troubleshoot hardware and not software.

When using Kyhi boot rescue does the classification as to whether it is software or a driver impact the ability to install?

Are there any other steps to get the software or drive installed when using Kyhi boot rescue?

There was an error log for the Intel RST.
    Amazingly there was no troubleshooting support of the log available at Intel or HP.

SIW2 the steps that were listed in the post #6 I was not able to interpret.
    Please use alternative words and steps so that they can be followed by a beginner.

zbook, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Intel RST service is not running

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The Intel RST service is for the Intel Rapid Storage Driver. The Intel Rapid Storage Driver provides speed for data transfer and improves the performance for SATA drives or PCIe drives.

• What is the make and model of the computer and motherboard?

You can follow the methods mentioned below and check if that helps:

Method 1: Changing the startup type for Service

You can try changing the startup type for the Intel RST service and check if that makes a difference. Please refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold Windows key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    2. Type serivces.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Now, scroll down, look for Intel RST service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    4. Now, under startup type select Automatic from the drop down menu.
    5. Click on Apply and OK.

Method 2: Updating the drivers manually

You can try downloading the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Driver from the

Intel Website
    and check if that helps. However, I would suggest checking with the motherboard manufacturer website as well.

If you are using RAID configuration, I suggest you to post your query in

TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on RAID configuration.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 30, 2020
  4. [Tech Support, Question] Intel RST or ACHI for boot and other questions.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Failure - Platform Not Supported

Hi again Dave,

I guess I do have another question. The download page for the RST driver I was trying to install earlier, provided a list of storage devices that would support it. Mine is a PCIe, NVMe, Intel 750 series SSD. It was on the list. There is no such list on the
    download page from your link. Could that be an issue?

I just ran the UI and I can my SATA SSD and my internal HDD but not my boot drive. That's the NVMe. It then looks like RST is having no effect on this drive. Is that correct?

mrcoffeetablebook, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

[Tech Support, Question] Intel RST or ACHI for boot and other questions.

1. [Tech Support, Question] Intel RST or ACHI for boot and other questions. - Similar Threads - Tech Support Question

2. Supportive questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Supportive questions: How to make Computer name pinging respond to loopback or localhost numerical address? Lets just say loopback.MBR and VTx seem to be incompetant on Windows 11 to work together to launch virtual machines on premises for example?eDiscovery export tool command in advanced options...
  3. Supportive questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Supportive questions: How to make Computer name pinging respond to loopback or localhost numerical address? Lets just say loopback.MBR and VTx seem to be incompetant on Windows 11 to work together to launch virtual machines on premises for example?eDiscovery export tool command in advanced options...
  4. Supportive questions

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Question about Intel RST 18.x supported chipsets

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about Intel RST 18.x supported chipsets: The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is sometimes unreliable when it comes to checking for updates for my device. Hence me asking this question here. I have a Gigabyte Z370 HD3 motherboard along with a Neo Forza Zion NFS01 (no nvme). Intel Rapid Storage Driver has started a...
  6. Microsoft Support Questions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Support Questions: Question one - Are the product keys provided at the Microsoft keydelivery website one time use only or could I use it to activate another computer if my current computer is replaced? The original purchase was for a Windows 10 Pro retail CD key. Question two - Can product...
  7. Intel RST Driver Question

Intel RST Driver Question: I've never been able to find an explanation...closest think was win-raid.com. My desktop has a Z270 chipset and my new Dell XPS 15 9500 has a mobile 400-series chipset. Right now I'm running Intel RST driver version 18.30.3.1148 on both. Based on what I read the 400-series...
  8. An out of the box tech question..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    An out of the box tech question..: I have windows 10 on one of my PCs. A worker was the only account on it and it was an admin account. I am wanting to create another admin account however I do not have the old workers password info. I have taken the hd out and connected it to another computer that runs...
  9. Intel RST Install Error: Platfrom not supported

Intel RST Install Error: Platfrom not supported: I've just finished clean installing Windows 10 and I'm trying to install Intel RST ,however, I keep getting an error right at the beginning saying "Platfrom not supported". I've checked to make sure im trying to install the correct version for Windows 10(...
  10. Intel Bug Questions and concerns

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Intel Bug Questions and concerns: Screenshot may be misleading. Google Chrome uses 1GB ram (75%), which leads to a total of 1.5GB system RAM. Suggest untick Group by type, and sort Memory column from highest to lowest for another screenshot. A fresh install may also be misleading, as a user will likely...