Windows 10: Technician wants remote access

Discus and support Technician wants remote access in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently built my first PC. I downloaded and installed a free version of Windows 10 Pro. I waited until I had some extra cash and decided to buy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tyler_919, May 2, 2020.

1. Tyler_919 Win User

Technician wants remote access

I recently built my first PC. I downloaded and installed a free version of Windows 10 Pro. I waited until I had some extra cash and decided to buy Windows 10 Home as my OS. I was told by one technician, Home will override Pro. But it did not. I get an error 0x803F700. I found a troubleshoot that sounds exactly like the problem I would have. I have a digital license for Windows 10 Home, but Windows 10 Pro is installed. I tried following the troubleshoot, but no instructions pop up, as another set of instructions said it would.

I called 800 642 7676. I got this number from Google, I even went into Microsoft Tech Support website and searched for correct numbers and found it there too. You think this would ease my mind, but it does not. Speaking to one rep again, I called the number above, he said he had to do a remote access to help. I told him no, I will do it I rather learn anyway.

He sent me an email, with the Media Creation Tool which I told him I already have, but that is fine. It gave two options, which did not line up with what he said. He told me to pick one ISO File Download After the download, he gave two more options, again, did not line up with what is on my screen. I read everything on the pop up to be as clear as possible.

Eventually he circled back around to remote access. I do not want to do that, I do not trust him, or anyone on the internet. He said "Its been 35 minutes, we can just do this if I remote access". Pressure does not help me.

Do Microsoft Technicians remote access? If so what system do they use? I read about Team Viewer, but I hear there are problems. Is the number above correct? I thought a clean installation would be necessary, but every technician I spoke to says no, it is not. I built this PC to just play games, that is all. I hate this has to be such a headache. Any clarification would be grateful!

:)

Tyler_919, May 2, 2020

2. Remote access

In this case, we suggest checking this
    link
    to learn more about using the Remote Desktop app. This article will guide you on how to remotely access a desktop PC or a mobile device. For additional troubleshooting can you also answer the following questions:

• Is your computer connected to a domain?
    • Are you receiving error messages when using
      the Remote Desktop app?

We will wait for your reply.

Jefferson Ore, May 2, 2020
  3. Steevo Win User
    hijacked via remote network access

Sounds like you are the recipient of stolen goods. All of our work laptops have this feature where it locks the BIOS and hard disk remotely if stolen, misplaced, or after a certain number of failed access attempts to the data on the disk without the TPM key.

I would suggest returning it to wherever you bought or got it.

Steevo, May 2, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Remote access

Hi zabby937

Did you allow those Tech Support scammers to have Remote Access to your PC, they would have asked you to allow that?

Once you have turned off Remote Access, they can no longer access your PC.

Open Control Panel - Programs and Features, order that list by Date Installed

Check for any software installed on that date, like TeamViewer or LogMeIn, if you find any remoting application like those, uninstall it

Other than that, you have taken all the right steps and your PC will be fine, you do not need to worry about this further . .

DaveM121, May 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Technician wants remote access - Similar Threads - Technician wants remote

2. Remote Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Access: HelloI am in the process of moving to Windows Server 2022. We are a small firm. We have only 12 users, but do need to access our works network remotely. We only have the one server.I have had a look at the remote access features in WS2022, and will be able to configure this...
  3. Remote Access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Remote Access: How do I access my desktop remotely from my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-access/146ff10b-0831-4716-b03d-1c5cb16c2d0b
  4. Remote Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Access: I have followed the instructions to Enable access on my desktop I have downloaded the client to my laptop. I have keyed in the computer name I want to connect to When I execute Remote Access on the laptop I am asked to key in the user id and password I specified when I...
  5. Remote Access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote Access: I have two PCs, one is a Laptop with Windows 10 Pro and a Desktop with Windows 10 Home. My network identifies both, one as "WIN10-PRO" and the other as "WIN10-HOME". I have no problem remotely accessing "WIN10-PRO" files from "WIN10-HOME"; however, I cannot remotely access...
  6. How do technicians remote in to computers legitimately ?

How do technicians remote in to computers legitimately ?: I am trying to find the utility that I once used to remotely connect to a computer. It worked and I did not need someone on the other end to be there to press a button every 4 minutes. I want to be able to connect up to several various different computers for 1 or 2 hours...
  7. remote access

in Windows 10 Customization
    remote access: Hi, I been using the remote access all of last week and this Monday . Now I can n o longer log in to my remote access computer. Can anyone help me. I have Windows 10. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-access/c2a8b633-bf64-4620-ad43-222d3eb63473
  8. remote access

remote access: can i use the windows 10 remote workstation software download on my windows 10 home computer to remote into my office 7 windows at work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-access/eead4cae-a3f1-4ec7-9587-21304e9ae60a
  9. 'remote Access'

'remote Access': What happens when I allow remote Access? How to tell who can access this computer now, and, by what route, or means? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-access/2ace370c-0a9b-4a3e-9015-14f05728ce0b
  10. Remote access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote access: I unfortunately allowed someone maintaining they were from BT Openreach and they were trying to get me to make a payment through my bank. Very fortunately this was not successful and no damage appears to have been done I am now concerned that they may be able to still...