Windows 10: TechSpot SSD Show Down

Discus and support TechSpot SSD Show Down in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Was reading some info on SSDs over on TechSpot, and thought I would shear. Hope you find this info hopeful when deciding on an SSD for the first time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Lee, Jul 23, 2015.

1. LEE
    Lee Win User

TechSpot SSD Show Down

Was reading some info on SSDs over on TechSpot, and thought I would shear. Hope you find this info hopeful when deciding on an SSD for the first time or even if just upgrading from an old one.

At the top of the food chain are Samsung's SM951 and Intel's SSD 750 Series. The SM951 is an M.2 series intended for OEM channels, but as we recently discovered in our SM951 review, it's possible to buy Samsung's PCIe drive separate from an OEM system via RamCity. Meanwhile, Intel's SSD 750 Series is widely available but it's limited to 400GB and 1.2TB capacities -- we have the former for this article.
    Model Size Format Interface Read Write Price Crucial BX100 500 GB SATA SATA 6Gb/s 535 MB/s 450 MB/s $190 Crucial MX200 500 GB SATA SATA 6Gb/s 555 MB/s 500 MB/s $200 G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480 GB HHHL PCIe 2.0 x8 1900 MB/s 1050 MB/s $550 Intel SSD 750 Series 400 GB HHHL PCIe 3.0 x4 2200 MB/s 900 MB/s $410 Kingston HyperX Savage 480 GB SATA SATA 6Gb/s 520 MB/s 500 MB/s $250 Kingston Predator 480 GB HHHL PCIe 2.0 x4 1400 MB/s 1000 MB/s $525 OCZ Vector 180 480 GB SATA SATA 6Gb/s 550 MB/s 530 MB/s $260 Plextor PX-G512M6e 512 GB M.2 PCIe 2.0 x2 770 MB/s 580 MB/s $415 Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 2150 MB/s 1550 MB/s $490 Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500 GB SATA SATA 6Gb/s 540 MB/s 520 MB/s $200 Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512 GB SATA SATA 6Gb/s 550 MB/s 520 MB/s $280 SanDisk Extreme Pro 480 GB SATA SATA 6Gb/s 550 MB/s 515 MB/s $235 Transcend SSD370 512 GB SATA SATA 6Gb/s 560 MB/s 460 MB/s $200 Transcend TS512GMTS800 512 GB M.2 M.2 6Gb/s 560 MB/s 460 MB/s $24 Source

:)

2. Rach0kin Win User

some error window when pc is being shut down.

Once in a while when i shut down my pc it will show a error window. It shows up for like a second then it's gone and my pc is shut down.

The ssd had window 8.1 then i just upgraded to window 10.

Rach0kin, Jul 23, 2015
  3. ( UPDATE: AMD Crimson Edition drivers could be suspect ) MS Edge browser cannot open Techspot.com

Hi

I am on the same build and in the last 4-5 days I also have been unable to open Techspot..com using Microsoft Edge.

I have no problems with Firefox. I am using Nvidia so possibly not an issue with AMD drivers.

Bonjon Sizewell, Jul 23, 2015
  4. Nemix Win User

TechSpot SSD Show Down

Nice article but...IMHO it's just not worth getting expensive SSD's anymore, save the money for a faster CPU or GPU.

1st = Samsung EVO 850
    2nd = Crucial MX200
    3rd = Crucial BX100

Nemix, Jul 23, 2015
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    If you already have them then I see your point, albeit if you don't then your point makes no sense. . .*Smile

6. Jairus24 Win User
    I think what he's trying to say is that you can just get a $200 worth SSD instead of getting the one worth $500 and then save $300 to get a fast CPU or GPU.

Jairus24, Jul 23, 2015
  7. Nemix Win User
    It's a matter of opinion, jumping from mechanical drive to a EVO/MX200 SSD is already massive in performance from a user's standpoint.

But going from a EVO/MX200 to a Samsung SM951/Intel 750 at double the cost, the performance leap is marginal at best in average real world usage scenario.

Like said the money spent on a expensive SSD these days is better spent on either a faster CPU or GPU upgrade (where real performance gains can be seen) or on yourself (food, clothes, etc...).

There's nothing really to compensate, so called faster expensive SSD's right now don't make a whole lot of difference in real world usage compared to consumer grade SSD's at less than half the price.

Nemix, Jul 23, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

TechSpot SSD Show Down

One should also not forget controller SSD is going to be connected to. Intel chipsets on MBs have generally better score with same SSD than AMD. Some types of files are also handled differently than others so having used different benchmarks can produce pretty different results. There are also some benchmarks that heavily favor one SSD brand over others.
    Two things that give SSD such an edge over spinners are much faster access times and performance with 4K file read and write which is about 90% of disk use. Continuous read/write speeds are of consequence in very small number of applications yet SSD manufacturers push that as main selling point.
    As it is right now, I would rather pay more for larger capacity or length of warranty than advertised speeds.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

TechSpot SSD Show Down

1. TechSpot SSD Show Down - Similar Threads - TechSpot SSD Show

2. SSD not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD not showing up: I booted up my computer and it crashed. I shut it off and then booted it up again and it ran normally. However, when trying to access my external SSD which I installed a while ago, the drive and files don't show up....
  3. SSD not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD not showing up: I booted up my computer and it crashed. I shut it off and then booted it up again and it ran normally. However, when trying to access my external SSD which I installed a while ago, the drive and files don't show up....
  4. windows 11 slow down ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 slow down ssd: I have updated my os into windows 11, after that my ssd facing some slow down issue, so I updated all the updation packages available in recent days. But the issue still remains, so I googled and known about the kb5007262 update, this update wasn't in my updation history, and...
  5. windows 11 slow down ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 slow down ssd: I have updated my os into windows 11, after that my ssd facing some slow down issue, so I updated all the updation packages available in recent days. But the issue still remains, so I googled and known about the kb5007262 update, this update wasn't in my updation history, and...
  6. SSD not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD not showing: I updated my windows on my laptop which was running windows 10 home, but half way through the update on one of the restarts it does it got stuck in a boot loop, nothing I did worked to fix it, so in the end I gave up and bought a new SSD. I then plugged it into my desktop to...
  7. SSD not showing

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD not showing: I updated my windows on my laptop which was running windows 10 home, but half way through the update on one of the restarts it does it got stuck in a boot loop, nothing I did worked to fix it, so in the end I gave up and bought a new SSD. I then plugged it into my desktop to...
  8. SSD not showing up in BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD not showing up in BIOS: Hey! Around one week ago my SSD started to troll me, and my PC started to get blue screen every day with an error code of UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION, I didn't cared about it too much, I jist restarted my PC and ignored it. But today I started to get blue screens every 30...
  9. SSD slowed down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD slowed down: Hello, Since I traveled yesterday my computer slowed down significantly and is really acting up. After some digging, I found out that my SSD is the issue. It loads everything fine but in large intervals. Therefore if I want to open up my browser, it might take no time at...
  10. SSD: Standby vs. Shut Down

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD: Standby vs. Shut Down: I have a desktop with C: as an SSD . . . It's totally quiet, which is great. I see an obvious reason to "Shutdown" a spindle drive (the sound stops), but how important is that with an SSD? Would you say that you should just do a Restart once per week, but Standby is...