Windows 10: Tel protocol default app can't choose Skype

Discus and support Tel protocol default app can't choose Skype in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So, I have an Excel document that I use to click on phone numbers using the Tel protocol and open skype to call them. but recently when I click on it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Christina96, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Tel protocol default app can't choose Skype

So, I have an Excel document that I use to click on phone numbers using the Tel protocol and open skype to call them. but recently when I click on it, Windows tells me to choose a default app. The only options are Chrome, People, Your Phone, and Look for an app on the Microsoft store. There's no more options button and when I click the Microsoft store and launch Skype, I still can't do it.

:)

Christina96, Jul 20, 2020
  2. browly Win User

Can't change tel protocol handler in Windows 10

How do I run a custom command for tel: links in Windows 10?

I'm trying to open phone numbers formatted as links with dialer.exe. I was able to do this successfully with callto: links by adding the path for dialer.exe to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\callto\shell\open\command (details here).

However, this didn't work for tel: links. This post suggested that tel: links need to be configured in HKCR\tel\shell\open\command instead, but that didn't work, either.

Trying to configure tel: links via Windows Settings or the Control Panel only gives me the options to open them in Chrome, Skype for Business, or "Look for an App in the Store". In the Control Panel, I tried in Set Associations and Set Default Programs. In the Settings app, I tried "Choose default apps by protocol".

This post suggests that I need to delete the Tel key under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Google Chrome\Capabilities\URLAssociations\, but it appears that only removed Chrome from the list of suggested apps that appears when I try to open a tel: link.

This post said I should clear HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\tel\ProgId, but that just brings up the window to choose between Skype and a Windows Store app again.

browly, Jul 20, 2020
  3. alex2364 Win User
    Duplicate App List

I'm on Windows 10 1909. When I go to Choose default apps by protocol and go down to TEL, it always list Skype for Business twice. Is there a way to delete the duplicate?

alex2364, Jul 20, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Tel protocol default app can't choose Skype

dalchina, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Tel protocol default app can't choose Skype

1. Tel protocol default app can't choose Skype - Similar Threads - Tel protocol default

2. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  3. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  4. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How do I change the TEL protocol default currently Skype if Teams is not an option presented?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the TEL protocol default currently Skype if Teams is not an option presented?: We are deprecating Skype in favor of Teams. Currently, if you click the Windows Icon -> Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Choose default apps by protocol and scroll down to the "TEL" protocol, and then select "choose a default" ... Teams is not one of my options. See screen...
  6. How do I change the TEL protocol default currently Skype if Teams is not an option presented?

How do I change the TEL protocol default currently Skype if Teams is not an option presented?: We are deprecating Skype in favor of Teams. Currently, if you click the Windows Icon -> Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Choose default apps by protocol and scroll down to the "TEL" protocol, and then select "choose a default" ... Teams is not one of my options. See screen...
  7. How do I change the TEL protocol default currently Skype if Teams is not an option presented?

8. Windows 10 - Choose default apps by protocol sucks

Windows 10 - Choose default apps by protocol sucks: Sorry, but I'm here to complain. I downloaded a certain application which associated a protocol to it. Then I changed the location of the application, and now I'm trying to manually change or delete the old entry to point to the new location of the executable. The new Windows...
  9. Can't choose default app for protocol from PC

Can't choose default app for protocol from PC: Hi, I try to set utorrent as default app for magnet links. "Settings" though offers the current default, Torch, or to buy from the app store only, no option to choose from PC (screenshot 1) utorrent is fully capable of handling magnet; it is installed on my laptop and set...
  10. Can't choose default app for protocol from PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't choose default app for protocol from PC: Hi, I try to set utorrent as default app for magnet links. "Settings" though offers the current default, Torch, or to buy from the app store only, no option to choose from PC (screenshot 1) utorrent is fully capable of handling magnet; it is installed on my laptop and set...