Windows 10: Telnet having problems

Discus and support Telnet having problems in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently started development on a chat app using Java, I enabled telnet and left it alone while it did its thing. No problems. I start testing my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Pregrammer, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Telnet having problems

I recently started development on a chat app using Java, I enabled telnet and left it alone while it did its thing. No problems. I start testing my chat server using the command "telnet localhost 7171" 7171 is the port I'm using, could be the problem? and start writing some stuff when the client using telnet to simulate client but it does something like this,

date: xx/xx/xxxx

Connection terminated

I don't think too much of it, and I continue on making my program, I change it because I know that it's working, and allow the user to type in some commands, but none of them work, something about telnet feels broken, but it could just be my program. If there's another program I could use to test this again to see if it really is telnet, I would appreciate it. If it's my program then I can hop on over to stack exchange.

Thanks to all those who help.

Sincerely, Pregrammer

:)

Pregrammer, Jan 12, 2021

2. Telnet Not in Default Apps

Telnet works fine from the commandline. It's enabled in Windows options, and I can run it without issue.

The problem is I can't associate it with the TELNET protocol under default apps. That's because TELNET isn't even an option that I can assign a program to. It's been removed from the list of protocols that can be assigned. Protocols like SCP, FTP, SSH
    are still there, with apps assigned to each. But TELNET, which has always been there, is no longer in the list.

BrianPelletier, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to assign XShell application to URL: Telnet protocol

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to associate XShell application to URL: Telnet. You may go ahead and try adding the program using Registry Editor and see if that helps.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take backup of registry.

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open Run dialog box.
    2. Type regedit and click on OK.
    3. Now, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\telnet\shell\open\command
    4. On the right pane, double click on the (Default) value and change the file location with the location of the program that you want to associate.
    5. Close Registry editor and restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Telnet to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Telnet having problems

Telnet Not in Default Apps

Telnet is an app and a protocol.

I upgraded my Windows 10 from home to pro. Now telnet is not listed in the default apps by protocol; it always has been previously. FTP, SSH, and other similar protocols are all there, just not TELNET.

My work uses a web-based application to connect to remote sites via telnet, and it depends on the browser being able to fire up a telnet app when a 'telnet://' URL is encountered. This worked great until just recently, I'm assuming my home->pro update caused
    this (though it could be coincidence).

Any help would be appreciated.

BrianPelletier, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Telnet having problems

1. Telnet having problems - Similar Threads - Telnet having problems

2. Unable to telnet on 443 to slb.cynet.com saas site using telnet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to telnet on 443 to slb.cynet.com saas site using telnet: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-telnet-on-443-to-slbcynetcom-saas-site/ec27821f-5621-4e41-9ab6-5a1ab7a47ab1
  3. Can't set telnet client for telnet links...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't set telnet client for telnet links...: If I turn on the telnet feature, it doesn't add the necessary registration keys. If I install a telnet client that is supposed to set the default telnet app, it doesn't. I seem to have the telnet client disabled in the OS. If I click on a telnet link from a browser, nothing...
  4. Can't set telnet client for telnet links...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't set telnet client for telnet links...: If I turn on the telnet feature, it doesn't add the necessary registration keys. If I install a telnet client that is supposed to set the default telnet app, it doesn't. I seem to have the telnet client disabled in the OS. If I click on a telnet link from a browser, nothing...
  5. Can't set telnet client for telnet links...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Telnet works fine but telnet lib does not.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Telnet works fine but telnet lib does not.: I created a virtual router with gns3. I can connect it well with the telnet. It however fails when trying to use the exetnsion for pyhton, telnetlib....
  7. Telnet works fine but telnet lib does not.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Telnet works fine but telnet lib does not.: I created a virtual router with gns3. I can connect it well with the telnet. It however fails when trying to use the exetnsion for pyhton, telnetlib....
  8. Telnet works fine but telnet lib does not.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. telnet problem

telnet problem: I want to use teraterm to connect Linux which is in private network. But I get a message "Connection timed out". The following is Linux(Ubuntu16.04)'s command result. xxx.xxx.xxx.246 is Windows 10's IP. root@xxxxxx:/usr/share/iptables# telnet xxx.xxx.0.246 22 Trying...
  10. Telnet

Telnet: Hi All, I just signed up and this is my first post. My question is: since there is no telnet server in Windows 10 that would be the reason I can not Telnet in from my Centos VM Correct? I can Telnet into my CentosVM from my Windows VM but not vice versa, Thank You in...