Windows 10: Temp directory switches to read only

Discus and support Temp directory switches to read only in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey all So I've had this problem on and off for the last three months; every so often, my temp directory will switch to Read Only and I'm unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EyeStache, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Temp directory switches to read only

Hey all

So I've had this problem on and off for the last three months; every so often, my temp directory will switch to Read Only and I'm unable to change the attributes of the files inside it. I have admin permissions on the laptop as the sole user, but when I try to make the change, it tells me I don't have permission.

This gets a bit irksome when I'm trying to do stuff like update programs or download files, as I'm sure you can imagine. I can change to a new temp folder in my Environment Variables no problem, but the folder will inevitably lock itself again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

submitted by /u/EyeStache
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/EyeStache, Apr 26, 2020
  2. Michael## Win User

TEMP directory in Windows 7

My netbook had 284G storage. 241G is taken up by the directory C:/windows/temp

I'm running Windows 7. Can I safely delete the files and sub-directories in the TEMP directory to regain some storage space? Most of the files are named cab_xxx_xx with 80% empty files, the other 20% are 71M in size.

Michael##, Apr 26, 2020
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Temp directory switches to read only

Directory Size Utility

New! Directory Size Utility BETA v1.1

New features!
    • New button icons!
    • New Total selected directory size!
    • Made the Exit button text bigger!
    Download here

Mindweaver, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Temp directory switches to read only

1. Temp directory switches to read only - Similar Threads - Temp directory switches

2. read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    read only: How to remove read only for a file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only/cbfa8ef6-adcc-4f86-98da-b5ddbdd10c37
  3. All directories are Read Only. Help requested.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All directories are Read Only. Help requested.: Just a week ago I purchased a new desktop with Win 10 and after an automatic update ALL of my directories are now Read Only. Because I work from home and this is a new PC I'm unable to install some of my programs due to this.... pain to say the least. I have been online for...
  4. Read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read only: For some reason Windows has set WindowsApps to read only, and when I uncheck read only, it just becomes rechecked again. This is to fix an isssue in Reshade on MCC where I get this message.The only solution I've been given is to ensure that the folder in question WindowsApps...
  5. Read Only

Read Only: How do I change a file from Read Only to readable so I can make changes and save it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only/4aa037bd-76c4-4d79-ab31-74c95ec65740
  6. Read Only

in Windows 10 Support
    Read Only: I keep getting these read only messages when the file was created by me and saved but iwhen open it will not allow me to save it again. This happens with both excel and word. It never happened before unless I opened a document opened from email. This is annoying because I...
  7. Windows 10 Home - User directory set to Read Only

Windows 10 Home - User directory set to Read Only: This is a recent Win10 problem that is causing a lot of inconvenience! It would appear that a Windows Update has been applied which has led to the issue. Open Office no longer is able to save work (*.ODT) to the file directory originating at the C:\Windows\Users path....
  8. several directories including desktop and my files marked as "read only"

several directories including desktop and my files marked as "read only": Several of my files are marked as "read only" where I specificaly noticed this problem was a game whose save directory is in MyDocuments and cannot make save files. Is there a reason why I cannot remove the "read only" from these directories?...
  9. read only

in Windows 10 Support
    read only: Why can’t I turn read only off in w10 125112
  10. Huge Temp Directory - Nuance

in Windows 10 Support
    Huge Temp Directory - Nuance: Hi, I installed win 10 a couple of weeks ago. ever since I've had this directory: C:\Windows\Temp\Nuance\OmniPageCSDK16 growing until it takes up all the empty room on my c:\ (it grows from 0 to 40 something gigs in a few days). If i delete the directory, it just...