Windows 10: Temp file cleanup trouble

Discus and support Temp file cleanup trouble in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there. I'm trying to free up disc space by deleting temp files. My storage usage says I've got over 7 GB of temporary files, but when I click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ZofyaHandley, May 4, 2020.

1. Temp file cleanup trouble

Hi there. I'm trying to free up disc space by deleting temp files. My storage usage says I've got over 7 GB of temporary files, but when I click on it there's only a few MB available to be cleaned up. How would I find the remaining files and delete them?

:)

ZofyaHandley, May 4, 2020

2. These temp files will not delete

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We understand that, you are unable to delete temp files on Windows 10 and I'd be certainly help you.

For a better understanding of your issue, answer the query below:

• Do you receive any prompt or error code?
    • What happens, when you try to delete temp files?
    I suggest you to follow these methods below and check, if it works:

Method 1:

• Press Windows key + R key together, to open RUN command Window.
    • Type "temp" in the RUN Command Window, to open temp folder and then delete the files and folders inside the temp folder.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

• Press Windows key + R key together, to open RUN command Window.
    • Type "%temp%" in the RUN Command Window, to open temp folder and then delete the files and folders inside the temp folder.
    If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode, then perform disk cleanup on Windows 10 and check, if it works.

I suggest you to refer the article and check, if it helps.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Let's try to perform disk cleanup on Windows 10 and check, if it works.

Disk cleanup in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, May 4, 2020
  3. AndreePin Win User
    Disk Cleanup Windows doesn't appear when I click on it.

Hi,

Disk Cleanup tool is a useful utility in deleting junk files. There are probable reasons why your Disk Cleanup tool is not working properly. We suggest that you follow the steps provided below:

Method 1 - Delete Temp Files:

Removing the temporary files can help in making the Disk Cleanup tool working.

• Press Win+R and write %temp% in the open window and click
      Enter.
    • The temp folders will become visible. Select the available temp files, perform a right click and select
      Delete.
    Return back to the tool and try to start it to see if it is working.

Method 2 - Run Windows Update Troubleshooter:

Many times Windows update becomes responsible for Disk Cleanup issue. In this case, running troubleshooter is the best idea.

• Right click theStart
      menu and select Control Panel.

• Change the
      View by: Categoryinto
      Large icons.

• Select and click
      Troubleshooting.

• Now select and click
      System and Security.

• Click Windows Update.

• Click on the tiny link
      Advanced on the troubleshooter.

• Click on Run as administrator link positioned in the right bottom section. Once The troubleshooter looks like just above image click Next.
    It will detect the troubles if exists, so follow the on-screen guidelines to complete the troubleshooting. Try to run the Disk Cleanup once again.

Feel free to get back to us should you need further assistance.

AndreePin, May 4, 2020
  4. Vicky Acs Win User

Temp file cleanup trouble

about temp folder

Hi Hector,

The temp folder provides work space for programs. Yes they can be deleted. We suggest that you follow the steps provided by Sangeeta Sarkar on how to delete Temp files on this

link
    . You may also type in the search box Disk Cleanup and hit enter. It will evaluate your disk and give you a list of folders sizes that can be deleted.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Regards.

Vicky Acs, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Temp file cleanup trouble

1. Temp file cleanup trouble - Similar Threads - Temp file cleanup

2. Windows Update Cleanup doesn't get purged in temp files storage settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Cleanup doesn't get purged in temp files storage settings: Hello.After the 23H2 version Windows update Windows 11, I'm not able to delete the previous update files which were always safe to be removed by Windows.I would simply do that by going into Storage Settings of Windows. Then Temp Files and then Windows would list all the files...
  3. Concern that file cleanup of temp and system files does not delete all files requested on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Concern that file cleanup of temp and system files does not delete all files requested on...: We have two laptops running Windows 10 Version 21H2 The first is an HP250, the second an HP450 We keep both laptops up-to-date with Windows updates. Additional software on both machines is the same. The first has more personal files, ie Word, Excel, pictures, but that is...
  4. Concern that file cleanup of temp and system files does not delete all files requested on...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Concern that file cleanup of temp and system files does not delete all files requested on...: We have two laptops running Windows 10 Version 21H2 The first is an HP250, the second an HP450 We keep both laptops up-to-date with Windows updates. Additional software on both machines is the same. The first has more personal files, ie Word, Excel, pictures, but that is...
  5. Concern that file cleanup of temp and system files does not delete all files requested on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. %temp%,temp and prefeth files.

in Windows 10 Customization
    %temp%,temp and prefeth files.: My camera was working slow so i contacted the support team and they told me to type %temp% and delete all the files.Further more i was told to delete prefetch and temp files in the same way.But the slowness of camera was still there the original cause i found out yesterday...
  7. delete temp internet files and windows update cleanup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    delete temp internet files and windows update cleanup files: how to delete temp internet files and windows update cleanup files because my c drive is full and I cannot install the latest windows update files. I used the windows method in settings but fails. Troubleshooter is a joke!!!...
  8. Temp files 160gb, cleanup only shows about 1gb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temp files 160gb, cleanup only shows about 1gb: Have had Win10 installed for about 2 weeks on a new PC. The temp files are 160gb already and filling the main C: disk to the limit. When I use storage cleanup it only identifies about 1gb of data to cleanup. Where can I look to find the hidden files?...
  9. Temp Folder Cleanup Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Temp Folder Cleanup Question: Hi All! I have a very specific question in relation to Windows Temp Folder. What I specifically want to know, is: Does windows clean up the temp folder as a housekeeping task when a computer is rebooted (i.e. if I was to use a particular software program in the morning after...
  10. Win10 native "disk cleanup" vs. CCleaner: temp files discrepancy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 native "disk cleanup" vs. CCleaner: temp files discrepancy: Hi, all: Is there a logical explanation for an enormous discrepancy between the number of "temp files" found by the native Windows "disk cleanup" utility and the number found by CCleaner? Having set up my new OEM Win10 box ~6 days ago and having more or less finished...