Windows 10: "Temp" file has changed location and my C drive has only 460MB. not near enough to...

Discus and support "Temp" file has changed location and my C drive has only 460MB. not near enough to... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; seems my temp file jumped off and I reset 'store' and defaulted apps . My C is critical and I have bits and pieces of what's up but need help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GregoryBurke1, Mar 17, 2020.

1. "Temp" file has changed location and my C drive has only 460MB. not near enough to...

seems my temp file jumped off and I reset 'store' and defaulted apps . My C is critical and I have bits and pieces of what's up but need help

:)

GregoryBurke1, Mar 17, 2020

2. How to set system TEMP and TMP to a different drive in Windows 10.

Hi Kens,

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

To change the location of the System Temp folder, follow the steps given below.

• Right click on Computer and click on Properties. In the resulting window with the basic

information about your computer

• Click on Advanced system settings on the left panel resulting in a dialog box click on the advanced tab.

• Click on the button near the bottom labeled Environment Variables.

• You may see both TMP and TEMP listed in the section labeled User variables for (account). That's the common location; each different login account is assigned its own temporary location.

• In the Variable value Edit box you may specify the path to the directory that Windows and many other programs will use for temporary files.

Be sure and repeat that process for both TMP and TEMP.

You'll need to restart any running programs for the new value to take effect. In fact, you'll need to restart Windows for it to begin using the new value for its own temporary files.

To change the location of the Internet Temp folder, follow the steps given below.

Note: That Internet Explorer moves cookies to the new folder and the old folder is removed. Additionally, the following message is displayed when you attempt to move the Temporary Internet Files folder:

Warning: Moving the location of your Temporary Internet Files folder will delete all your subscription data.

• Create a new folder to store the files. For example, if you want to store the files in a folder named Ietemp on drive D, create the following folder:
    D:\Ietemp

For information about how to create a folder, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type
    new folder, and then double-click the "New Folders" topic.

• Start Internet Explorer.
    • On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    • On the General tab, click Settings.
    • Click Move Folder.
    • Click the folder you created in Step 1.
    • Click OK, click OK, and then click OK again.
    • Restart your computer

You can change the location of Internet explorer temp folder; there is no security threat to your computer.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Mar 17, 2020
  3. JREnglish Win User
    My Documents file location set to a second drive. Unable to change file location back.

After installing a second drive I wanted to change the file location of 'Documents'. To do this I went the file properties to change its location from a file on drive C to a file on drive D. However I accidentally select drive D itself instead of the file
    within it. Now I cannot change the location of 'Documents', nor can I restore its default location. When I attempt to do so I receive this message: "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under "D:\System Volume Information". Access is denied."

Looking for any help available.

JREnglish, Mar 17, 2020
  4. LABXXI Win User

"Temp" file has changed location and my C drive has only 460MB. not near enough to...

Copying Files & temp folders

When I Transfer/Copy files from a media server using a mini PC to an external HDD, the C drive on the mini PC - which for now only has about 5GB free, drops to 0MB, a search of recently created files shows large files in
    C:\Users\Mini\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\mms

I moved the location of the TEMP & TMP folders in Advanced System Settings in
    Environment Variables, That didn't change anything....

How do I change the location of temp files created when copying files - from the C drives current location to another location, say, a microSD or USB...?

Thank You.

LABXXI, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

"Temp" file has changed location and my C drive has only 460MB. not near enough to...

1. "Temp" file has changed location and my C drive has only 460MB. not near enough to... - Similar Threads - Temp file has

2. my c drive has changed to a desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my c drive has changed to a desktop: running windows 10, i have managed to turn my c drive into a desktop display. What i was originally trying to do was move my one drive folder as a whole onto my d drive, which in the process has made my c drive a desktop profile. When i right click and select properties, it...
  3. my c drive has changed to a desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my c drive has changed to a desktop: running windows 10, i have managed to turn my c drive into a desktop display. What i was originally trying to do was move my one drive folder as a whole onto my d drive, which in the process has made my c drive a desktop profile. When i right click and select properties, it...
  4. my c drive has changed to a desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. C drive nearly full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive nearly full: In This PC>Devices and Drives, the C drive is showing as nearly full 18.4GB free of 449GB and the bar is red instead of blue. Need I take any remedial action, and if so how?...
  6. My Feed has changed location

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Feed has changed location: My Feed on Microsoft Edge always showed my local Irish news. But recently only foreign news from Britain shows. There seems no option anymore to see my home news. Any help would be appreciated...
  7. I changed my TEMP and TMP folder location from drive C to drive D, and my files slowly gone...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I changed my TEMP and TMP folder location from drive C to drive D, and my files slowly gone...: Hello, I'm not really an expert in computer so I really need someone to enlighten me. I have a 120gb SSD as my main drive drive C, and I used a lot of high / intense graphic programs sketchup rendering, photoshop, etc, and sometimes when i used them, i noticed that the temp /...
  8. Drive C has errors

Drive C has errors: Hello Windows showed me a notification which said...... Scan drive for errors, after that I right clicked on drive C and selected properties, then it showed me this message which said .... acrotray.exe - Application Error The application was unable to start correctly...
  9. Settings will not open, Edge has disappeared, and temp files are filling up c drive in...

Settings will not open, Edge has disappeared, and temp files are filling up c drive in...: My c drive filled completely with temp files a couple months ago, and at the same time I could not open settings (using the icon or the search box), or edge. At some point edge disappeared altogether - will not come up with a search. Microsoft Store icon is missing. Through...
  10. Backup drive has not enough space

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup drive has not enough space: When trying to make an image backup I get"not enough space on drive" although it is a blank drive with 75 GB 25549