Windows 10: Temp profiles when away from domain

Discus and support Temp profiles when away from domain in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all, Just starting out with IT support after many years of trying, I have come across an issue where one of my clients can login at their place... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by BentleyMiller86, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Temp profiles when away from domain

Hi all,

Just starting out with IT support after many years of trying, I have come across an issue where one of my clients can login at their place of work without any issues but when logging in at home with the same credentials they are presented with a temporary profile, I assume they have a domain profile and a local profile, which sync together when logging in at work? I cant find much info on the matter as its mainly local profiles that stop working but this is combined with a domain, can anyone offer any advice of where to start please? as any work saved at home is no longer accessible when logged in at work.

Appologies for being vague but I'm short on time and need to get to my next site!

Cheers

Rob

:)

BentleyMiller86, Nov 27, 2016
  2. Snailson Win User

Icons Flashing after Windows 10 1511 Update

Sayan,

We are having the same problem for a number of our domain users. It seems to be an issue with explorer.exe when launched by the domain account.

I can login as the built-in administrator without any issues but when logged in as the domain user the CPU is pegged by explorer.exe and the icons flash.

If I end the explorer.exe task and relaunch it as the built-in administrator the problem goes away.

Is there a better workaround than creating a new profile for all of my domain users/computers?

Snailson, Nov 27, 2016
  3. Temporary Profile in Windows 10?!

I am working with a domain account logging in with a temp dir. I have tried all of those fixes and obviously I am not going to rebuild a known good user account in AD because of this.

I have scanned SFC, removed record from profile list. any other suggestions?

jsdraven_theTallOne, Nov 27, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Temp profiles when away from domain

Make sure cached domain logon is enabled:

Interactive logon: Number of previous logons to cache (in case domain controller is not available)

Cached domain logon - 4sysops

This is assuming they are using the same computer (laptop) that they take home from work. If they are not using the same computer then you will have to create a VPN connection to connect their home computer to the work network through the internet. You can also use the same VPN connection method to allow a work laptop taken home to connect to the work network.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2016
  5. Thanks,

I will check this next time I am at this site, you are correct it is the same computer, they take their laptops home.

Cheers

Rob

BentleyMiller86, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Temp profiles when away from domain

1. Temp profiles when away from domain - Similar Threads - Temp profiles away

2. Temp profile problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temp profile problems: I have an hp envy. Keeps signing in with temp profile since yesterday. Tried safe mode and still cant get in w/o temp. Doesnt respond to keystrokes on laptop or standalone keyboard. Was there an update recently that I need to undo or rollback?...
  3. Temp profile problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temp profile problems: I have an hp envy. Keeps signing in with temp profile since yesterday. Tried safe mode and still cant get in w/o temp. Doesnt respond to keystrokes on laptop or standalone keyboard. Was there an update recently that I need to undo or rollback?...
  4. Temp profile problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Migrate from domain profile to local profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate from domain profile to local profile: Here is my situation, I had a Windows server set up in my house with PCs connected to it on my network. I took the server out of operation a few years ago but have been logging into my PCs with the same accounts with no issues. A few days ago I wanted to change the password...
  6. Migrate from domain profile to local profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrate from domain profile to local profile: Here is my situation, I had a Windows server set up in my house with PCs connected to it on my network. I took the server out of operation a few years ago but have been logging into my PCs with the same accounts with no issues. A few days ago I wanted to change the password...
  7. Cannot log in to Laptop away from school domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot log in to Laptop away from school domain: Hi, The recent Window 10 2004 update has created an issue for myself and other faculty. We are using Lenovo E590's. The laptops are configured to use on our domain. We were able to log on from home without an issue prior to the update. Since the update, while trying to...
  8. temp profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    temp profile: when i sign on it takes me to a temp profile, how do i fix this , i tried rebooting , signing out , reg fix etc can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temp-profile/abf8b124-e1ec-4254-9750-cf30bfd75020
  9. Windows temp profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows temp profile: Hello guys so I just want help regarding my laptop. So what I did before recieving this error was I cut (yes ctrl+x) my profile folder into my hard drive. Now when I logged back in today i pasted my profile folder back to the users folder, yes I have my desktop icons back,...
  10. temp profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    temp profile: for the last couple of weeks every time I restart my pc and log in I get a different profile and it is temp. I can log longer use my original profile. I am using windows 10 and can't fine a user profile update or add etc. how can i fix this?...