Windows 10: Temporarily moving Hard drive to another computer for data extraction

Discus and support Temporarily moving Hard drive to another computer for data extraction in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 Hello, I could use a bit of advice. I recently had my primary computer (let's call it, System 1) fail and so I'm building... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DrivingMiss7of9, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Temporarily moving Hard drive to another computer for data extraction

Windows 10 Pro Version 1903

Hello,
    I could use a bit of advice.

I recently had my primary computer (let's call it, System 1) fail and so I'm building a new one. But in the meantime, I'm using a backup Windows 10 computer (System 2) (totally different hardware)

However, the hard drive (WD1TB) of the Primary computer (System 1) contains all my vital data. I want to temporarily move the hard drive (WD1TB) to the Backup computer (as a secondary drive) so that I can copy data off of it.

Eventually, I want to install the Primary drive (WD1TB) into my New Replacement Primary computer as the Boot Drive, just as it was in my now failed Primary Computer (System 1), without having to do anything to it, other than plug it into the New Replacement Primary computer and start it. (Hopefully that will work)

My only concern is whether or not placing the HD (WD1TB) from (System 1) into the backup computer will alter the MBR or File Allocation Table in any way? Possibly rendering it unbootable when I place it into my New Replacement Computer.

Thanks and I hope the explanation was clear and I didn't over do it with the labels.

:)

DrivingMiss7of9, Jan 6, 2020
  2. Msap14 Win User

Hard Drive Data Recovery

got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

Msap14, Jan 6, 2020
  3. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Temporarily moving Hard drive to another computer for data extraction

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Temporarily moving Hard drive to another computer for data extraction :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Temporarily moving Hard drive to another computer for data extraction

1. Temporarily moving Hard drive to another computer for data extraction - Similar Threads - Temporarily moving Hard

2. Moving Hard Drive with Windows 10 OEM to Another Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Hard Drive with Windows 10 OEM to Another Computer: Hello, I have a tower computer HPZ400 with Windows 10 Pro OEM installed on an SSD hard drive. I want to move this hard drive to a new machine and use it as my main operating system hard drive and as the only hard drive in the new machine.The two machines have different...
  3. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  4. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  5. Move data to external hard drive.

6. Moving Windows to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows to another hard drive: i have my laptod with Windows 10 Pro 21H1 on Sata Drive 1TB. Now i have added an SSD 250GB Hard with it for faster processing. I want to move my complete OS to new SSD without loosing my softwares and file. What should i do. I will keep using the old drive as extension drive...
  7. Moving Windows to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows to another hard drive: i have my laptod with Windows 10 Pro 21H1 on Sata Drive 1TB. Now i have added an SSD 250GB Hard with it for faster processing. I want to move my complete OS to new SSD without loosing my softwares and file. What should i do. I will keep using the old drive as extension drive...
  8. Moving Windows to another hard drive

9. Move hard drive to another machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move hard drive to another machine: I have a failed Dell 5755 laptop. I got a replacement. Same type machine. I would like to move the internal hard drive to the other machine. Since this other machine has the same hardware as the failed machine would there be any issues in doing so? I have the COA and...
  10. Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows: My screen on my old computer went out. So I moved my hard drive to my sister computer. Her computer was down as the hard drive was bad. I was running Windows 10 home She was running Windows 7 Pro. So in moving my harddrive it is requesting me to activate my copy of...