Windows 10: Temporary files in settings menu different from sub-menu and disk cleanup, can't delete or...

Discus and support Temporary files in settings menu different from sub-menu and disk cleanup, can't delete or... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Thanks for reading, and sorry about the cumbersome title. When I looked at local storage, I was surprised to see that my 'temporary files' folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DrVenkmen, Jan 16, 2019.

1. DrVenkmen Win User

Temporary files in settings menu different from sub-menu and disk cleanup, can't delete or...

Thanks for reading, and sorry about the cumbersome title.

When I looked at local storage, I was surprised to see that my 'temporary files' folder contained 48GB - wow. However, when I click the to remove those files, only 4MB of files are able to be selected.

Similar to when I use disk cleanup, it gathers about the same amount.

Why can't I find 48GB?!? I want to free up space, I've tried...

1. Using command prompt to empty temp

2. Disk cleanup

3. Showing hidden files to delete '$recycle'

4. Deleting temp files in safe mode

What's going on here?

:)

DrVenkmen, Jan 16, 2019
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Unable to delete temporary files

Hi Sumit,

Looks like you are running out of storage space, let's walk you through the steps of running
    Disc cleanup for your Windows 10 device.

To delete temporary files, kindly follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.
    • Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If the suggestions above didn't work, feel free to post back so we can further troubleshoot.

Ferdz Amp, Jan 16, 2019
  3. dapster Win User
    Disk cleanup: cannot delete temporary internet files

Note that the issue raised is NOT all temporary files. Rather, it is about temporary internet files.

dapster, Jan 16, 2019
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Temporary files in settings menu different from sub-menu and disk cleanup, can't delete or...

disk cleanup out of order?

If Edge is open, there will be a lot of locked files.

To delete files in the Temporary Internet Files folder (or cache) in Microsoft Edge, follow the steps below:

• Open your Microsoft Edge browser.
    • Click on the More Actions menu with three dots, then select Settings.
    • Below Clear Browsing Data, click Choose what to clear.
    • Select the data that you want to delete.
    • Click Clear.

Also, as an alternative to Disk Cleanup, try the command line version, as Admin:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

f14tomcat, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Temporary files in settings menu different from sub-menu and disk cleanup, can't delete or... - Similar Threads - Temporary files settings

2. Is it safe to delete temporary files in the storage settings instead of using Disk Cleanup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete temporary files in the storage settings instead of using Disk Cleanup?: Sometimes I use disk cleanup, and other times I go to the temporary section of the storage settings. Is this safe? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-delete-temporary-files-in-the/08950022-ec0d-40f1-abfa-1731e483f5c9
  3. Is it safe to delete temporary files in the storage settings instead of using Disk Cleanup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to delete temporary files in the storage settings instead of using Disk Cleanup?: Sometimes I use disk cleanup, and other times I go to the temporary section of the storage settings. Is this safe? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-delete-temporary-files-in-the/08950022-ec0d-40f1-abfa-1731e483f5c9
  4. Can't delete temporary files in Windows 10 - Beyond disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't delete temporary files in Windows 10 - Beyond disk cleanup: There was a posting from 2017 in which Microsoft replied, but didn't hit the root of the problem. After running disk cleanup the Windows Update process is still showing that I have 3.65 GB of Temporary files.Yes, my machine only has 29GB of memory. But, you shouldn't have to...
  5. Win. 10 disk cleanup: How to delete temporary files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win. 10 disk cleanup: How to delete temporary files: hi all: I always wonder why is it that when it gets to like the 7th or 8th day, especially day 7, going to Storage and Temporary Files, I noticed the temporary files is there. It doesn't happen from day 1 to day 6. I have to clean it up. But it still appears in disk cleanup....
  6. unlock temporary files in disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unlock temporary files in disk cleanup: I have tried everything in about 30 pages of help and I cannot unlock the file to delete it. Thanks in advance charlie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unlock-temporary-files-in-disk-cleanup/8a176a71-939f-4cb6-8926-ed3edf35d2fa"
  7. issue with temporary files in the disk cleanup 1803

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    issue with temporary files in the disk cleanup 1803: Hi Microsoft: I reinstalled my Windows because previously, when I go to disk cleanup to cleanup files, I noticed that the temporary files will not cleanup. I tried it in the new user account by the same issue. It didn't happen in 1703 or 1709. It happened before in the...
  8. Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup: Hi all. I have had 175mb of Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup for what seems like a few months now which will not seem to go following the routine disk cleanup action. I waited until the next major CU came and went which happened last night but it still says 175mb of...
  9. Disk cleanup: cannot delete temporary internet files

Disk cleanup: cannot delete temporary internet files: Disk clean-up shows 500MB of temporary internet files. I check the box to delete the temporary internet files, but it keeps showing 500MB, even after several trials and restarts. This happens on my PC, and also on 1 laptop. However on another laptop I have, the temporary...
  10. Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files

Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files: did alittle more digging... in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporar y Files what does the defualt key to? the original is 0B2C35D2-C8BC-4470-BFC0-D6BB1235E5CE i changed it to...