Windows 10: Temporary files taking up 419gb of D drive

Discus and support Temporary files taking up 419gb of D drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I noticed that my D drive was slowly filling up without me downloading anything. I decided to check what is causing this and I went to Settings ->... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeorgeDimitrov1, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Temporary files taking up 419gb of D drive

So I noticed that my D drive was slowly filling up without me downloading anything. I decided to check what is causing this and I went to Settings -> Storage Settings -> More Storage Settings -> View storage usage on other devices -> D:

Here I saw that my apps take up 300gb space, which I expected, but I saw that the temp files take up even more space 419GB!!. I clicked on Temporary Files to see which files are taking up that much space and there is just an empty screen saying "Some temporary files are needed by apps. Below is a list of files you can remove now." with no files listed below.

Any ideas what may be causing this and where are the files located. My only guess was that those are Windows temp files but they are on my C: drive and take up less than 10GB. Is there a way to fix this without factory resetting my computer?

:)

GeorgeDimitrov1, Jan 19, 2021

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Jan Del Win User
    D drive

Since the game is being downloaded to the temporary files of the drive C, it may create conflict when you install the downloaded game from temporary file C to drive D. We suggest to set-up your steam to download the game directly to drive D and check if
    you will get the same error message when you install it.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Temporary files taking up 419gb of D drive

windows 10 internal drive d how to take back ownership of the hardrive?

Hi Steve,

To help you with your concern regarding the internal hard drive, let me suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Right-click on the Drive D:
    • Select Properties
    • Click Security tab then select Advanced
    • Select Change after the Owner: line

Please let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Virfranz Man, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

Temporary files taking up 419gb of D drive

1. Temporary files taking up 419gb of D drive - Similar Threads - Temporary files taking

2. Temporary files takes up 225GB out of 915GB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary files takes up 225GB out of 915GB: Hi therei have 225gb Temporary files, and i do not know how to remove it. its in my E data files.And so far i've tried to do a disk cleanup, and done the run --> Temp --> delete all. but nothing have helped, is it because ive done it on a my C drive? and if so, how do i do it...
  3. Temporary files takes up 225GB out of 915GB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporary files takes up 225GB out of 915GB: Hi therei have 225gb Temporary files, and i do not know how to remove it. its in my E data files.And so far i've tried to do a disk cleanup, and done the run --> Temp --> delete all. but nothing have helped, is it because ive done it on a my C drive? and if so, how do i do it...
  4. Temporary files takes up 225GB out of 915GB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. D Drive HDD System taking up 100% Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    D Drive HDD System taking up 100% Usage: Hey,This has been happening to me for the past month I've tried everything I could find disabling services windows search all of that and it has not worked.It freezes my computer and makes windows not respond constantly....
  6. D Drive HDD System taking up 100% Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D Drive HDD System taking up 100% Usage: Hey,This has been happening to me for the past month I've tried everything I could find disabling services windows search all of that and it has not worked.It freezes my computer and makes windows not respond constantly....
  7. Temporary Files is taking up 12gb of space but not really

Temporary Files is taking up 12gb of space but not really: So if I go to my storage settings, it says that Temporary Files are taking up 12gb of space. However when I click on 'Temporary Files', it shows that my downloads take up 6gb of space and the rest take up about 500mb of space. What is taking up the remaining 4.5gb? I...
  8. Temporary Files taking up 72 GB

Temporary Files taking up 72 GB: Hey, My temp files in storage says it takes up 72GB. I can only delete 4 GB of them, how do I delete them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temporary-files-taking-up-72-gb/3729e2d0-f5d1-4463-a224-f7ec9f65ea55
  9. D: drive is filling up on its own - cannot find the files that are taking up space!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    D: drive is filling up on its own - cannot find the files that are taking up space!: [ATTACH] The "Other" section of my D: drive has 1.56TB worth of stuff in it; I then click within the folder and it only shows me like 3GB worth of things? Where is all the other storage coming from? My D: drive is filling up on its own Please help :)...
  10. Can temporary files produce issues besides taking up space?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can temporary files produce issues besides taking up space?: I heard clearing the temp folders (c:\Windows\temp and the appdata temp folder) can fix issues such as a computer running slow, a printer not working properly and other software issues. I'd like to hear opinions on this. How can temp files do anything more than take up...