Windows 10: Temporary folders in Windows 10 root directory

Discus and support Temporary folders in Windows 10 root directory in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been running Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7, for several years. All of that time the system has been adding "temporary" folders of the form... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeterTurner9, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Temporary folders in Windows 10 root directory

I have been running Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7, for several years. All of that time the system has been adding "temporary" folders of the form MSIxxxxxx.tmp and pbtempxx and _xxxxxxxx_ which now amount to well over 1000 items and cannot easily be removed and arè not removed automatically. This results in an excessively large root directory which is inconvenient to scan through whenever a specific file or folder is needed. The only way to remove them is :-

file/Properties/Security/Advanced/Change/Find Now/[select owner]/OK/OK/OK file/Security/Edit/File control [click]/OK/OK

Now the files and folders can be removed or moved from the root directory.

This is a very laborious process. I have tried developing macros to do the job but they all fail :- Unfortunately, Windows doesn't allow automating administrative tasks, and there is not much we can do about that.

Do you have a solution?

I do not think temporary files and folders should be added to the root directory without them being removed automatically or easily otherwise.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

:)

PeterTurner9, Jan 23, 2020
  2. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Jan 23, 2020
  3. Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Temporary folders in Windows 10 root directory

Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

Temporary folders in Windows 10 root directory

1. Temporary folders in Windows 10 root directory - Similar Threads - Temporary folders root

2. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  3. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  4. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Azure VM with 50GB root directory

Azure VM with 50GB root directory: Hi,I want to spin up a Ubuntu/Centos/RHEL VM having 50GB for root directory.I tried with Standard_D8s_V3 and Standard_D4ads_v5, but no luck.Can anyone suggestRegards,Jessie...
  6. Azure VM with 50GB root directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Azure VM with 50GB root directory: Hi,I want to spin up a Ubuntu/Centos/RHEL VM having 50GB for root directory.I tried with Standard_D8s_V3 and Standard_D4ads_v5, but no luck.Can anyone suggestRegards,Jessie...
  7. User folder in the C: root directory

User folder in the C: root directory: I have 8 folders in my User folder. Each folder contains from two to 29 items. Can I copy each of the seven smaller folders into the largest folder and then delete the seven smaller folders?...
  8. What is "Error 5 An error occurred. The directory in the temporary folder...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is "Error 5 An error occurred. The directory in the temporary folder...: I have no idea what this means: What is "Error 5 An error occurred The directory in the temporary folder C;\Users\Warri\AppData\Local\Temp could not be created. Ensure that the path to the temporary folder exists and that you have read/write permissions for that...
  9. Sharing root directory on Windows 10

Sharing root directory on Windows 10: I am having issue with sharing a root directory so we can run programs on one system. I have turn on File Sharing Network discovery Turn off password protected added a share for the root directory I can see the share but I cannot access it. the error is You Do not have...
  10. Quixxxx.tmp directories on root

in Windows 10 Support
    Quixxxx.tmp directories on root: I have all these directories starting with Qui...tmp on one of my laptops. about 20-30 of them, all empty. I get nothing via google. Anyone ever seen this? 67218

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tmp folders that start with tw-