Windows 10: Temporary Hard Drive installing windows

Discus and support Temporary Hard Drive installing windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; QUESTION: If I install Windows and use a new key on a hard drive that is only going to be used temporarily while my laptop is having repairs done, will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Laur_90, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Laur_90 Win User

Temporary Hard Drive installing windows

QUESTION: If I install Windows and use a new key on a hard drive that is only going to be used temporarily while my laptop is having repairs done, will that wipe or otherwise ruin the Windows installation on my real hard drive when I put that back in? As I understand it, for HP Envy laptops with Windows preinstalled, the Windows key linked to the BIOS chip on my motherboard.

BACKGROUND INFO: I have to send my computer away for warranty repairs, and being a hobbyist techie myself I've already run diagnostics and determined the fan is going out, the heat sync isn't working well anymore, and the power housing is no longer good.

Because I have confidential information on my hard drive, I'm removing it in preparation for sending it out for repairs as I would open myself up to legal trouble with my clients if that information were ever in the hands of a third party.

The warranty repair company are jerks and having removed a hard drive for a previous repair they did, informed me when I scheduled the work that if my computer didn't have a hard drive they would return it without doing any repairs even though they have plenty of testing hard drives that they could and have used on previous occasions.

I have purchased a new hard drive to put in for temporary use, and I also have a Windows key through work that I never had occasion to use until now.

:)

Laur_90, Jan 31, 2020
  2. little cat, Jan 31, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 31, 2020
  4. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Temporary Hard Drive installing windows :)

dhdude, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Temporary Hard Drive installing windows - Similar Threads - Temporary Hard Drive

2. Windows setup couldn't find a hard drive to store temporary installation files to. Add a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows setup couldn't find a hard drive to store temporary installation files to. Add a...: My pc has gotten very messed up recently. Couldn’t update windows or drivers or launch games. I also couldn’t delete any files without them returning as soon as I restart the pc. After trying many fixes I found online I decided to just reinstall windows with a bootable drive....
  3. Windows setup couldn't find a hard drive to store temporary installation files to. Add a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows setup couldn't find a hard drive to store temporary installation files to. Add a...: My pc has gotten very messed up recently. Couldn’t update windows or drivers or launch games. I also couldn’t delete any files without them returning as soon as I restart the pc. After trying many fixes I found online I decided to just reinstall windows with a bootable drive....
  4. windows installation problem windows could not find a hard drive to store temporary files,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows installation problem windows could not find a hard drive to store temporary files,...: im trying to install windows again and its giving me an error whenever i select the hard disk i want to download on. the error says windows could not find a hard drive to store temporary files. i tried using diskpart clean thingy but it just didnt work it gave an error like a...
  5. windows installation problem windows could not find a hard drive to store temporary files,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows installation problem windows could not find a hard drive to store temporary files,...: im trying to install windows again and its giving me an error whenever i select the hard disk i want to download on. the error says windows could not find a hard drive to store temporary files. i tried using diskpart clean thingy but it just didnt work it gave an error like a...
  6. windows installation problem windows could not find a hard drive to store temporary files,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Hard drive not installed?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive not installed?: Hey everyone! I recently got a new drawing tablet and my laptop started having problems. I thought it was because I had too many apps so I deleted some. But the same problem persisted and the laptop would simply crash. I even factory reset the laptop thinking everything would...
  8. Hard Drive not installed

Hard Drive not installed: Hi there,Yesterday I was just resetting my Dell Laptop, there it showed a message that Reset Failed, then I went out of the Reset Screen and when I restarted my PC , it showed a message stating that Hard Drive not installed. Also when I tried to go to BIOS, there under Boot...
  9. Windows setup couldn't find a hard drive to store temporary installation files to. Add a...

Windows setup couldn't find a hard drive to store temporary installation files to. Add a...: My laptop was corrupted. Last night I tried to format by installing windows 10 using bootable usb. What I did is delete all partition and proceed next, it works. After completing some things, it reboot. I didn't do anything, I just wait until it freshlh installed. But...
  10. Hard Drive - Not installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive - Not installed: My Dell inspiron 5559 which had Windows 10 is not detecting hard drive. It's stuck on showing Dell logo and nothing happens after that. I have another hard drive from old laptop which has Windows 7. But, this is not detected by the laptop. After changing the boot mode to...