Windows 10: Temporary profile error - the final fix

Discus and support Temporary profile error - the final fix in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Okay, so this is probably the millionth thread I’ve made about my issue, but hopefully this is the last one. So, about three years ago — April of... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ooboh, Feb 24, 2019.

1. ooboh Win User

Temporary profile error - the final fix

Okay, so this is probably the millionth thread I’ve made about my issue, but hopefully this is the last one.

So, about three years ago — April of 2016 — my laptop (a Dell Inspiron N5050 that I got in 2012) had a temporary profile error. Perhaps it shut down incorrectly, but I’m not sure. Here’s where things get interesting: fast forward to July 31, 2016. I used a video tutorial to try to solve the profile error:

Fix Temporary Profile login Error on Windows 10 / 8 / 7 - YouTube

This was a mistake, because I fear it may have overwritten my user account, and all of my personal files are now gone forever. On top of that, system restore doesn't work, nor does it go back far enough for me to do anything. I am now accessing my laptop using a “half-baked” version. However, I do have a glimmer of hope. My username — where all of my personal files are located — is “obohokey”. All of the fonts I’ve downloaded since I’ve gotten the laptop in 2012 are still on the laptop. Furthermore, all downloads since the Temporary Profile Error go to “obohokey.obohokey-PC.001” instead of “obohokey.”

At this stage, I’ve tried doing a reset where I keep all my personal files. I’ve only gotten to 56% or so before my computer fails and it says that no changes were made. I don’t know why this is the case. Does anybody know?

I’m considering sending my laptop to my university’s tech desk to see if they can reset the laptop for me. Any ideas?

:)

ooboh, Feb 24, 2019
  2. lainey Win User

Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10  

I've followed your steps and there's no profile list. Am trying to fix for my sister. Brink please can you help

lainey, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Windows 10 temporary profile error?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are facing issue in editing some settings from a temporary profile. You need to login to your original (Administrator) profile to change those settings.

I would suggest you to change the account type to administrator, if it is not and see if it helps. Try the steps provided below to change the account type.

• Login with the temporary profile.
    • Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Control Panel from the list.
    • Select Large icons from the view by drop down menu.
    • Click on User Accounts.
    • Click on Change Account type.
    • Select Administrator radio button and click OK.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Temporary profile error - the final fix

Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10  

I came home today and had to log in to my desktop. When I did it said it was preparing Windows and I was taken to the temporary profile. I followed the tutorial to delete the profile folder path (step 9). At some point in the process, I confirmed that I could see my old files in C: \Users\BriggsDesktop. When I restarted, it went through the "We're glad you're here" screens. However it took me back to the desktop that looks just like the temporary profile one. I can no longer find all of my files. I tried doing a restore, but it did not complete successfully. Suggestions?

Justinbriggs, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Temporary profile error - the final fix

1. Temporary profile error - the final fix - Similar Threads - Temporary profile error

2. Temporary Profile Error on Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporary Profile Error on Windows 10.: I have accidentally deleted ntuser.dat file today. After this incident my laptop is running strangely. At first it said "temporary profile error" which I tried to solve from "regedit" also tried to use local administrator by signing out of my account but didn't succeed. My...
  3. Temporary Profile Error on Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temporary Profile Error on Windows 10.: I have accidentally deleted ntuser.dat file today. After this incident my laptop is running strangely. At first it said "temporary profile error" which I tried to solve from "regedit" also tried to use local administrator by signing out of my account but didn't succeed. My...
  4. Temporary Profile Error on Windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How do I fix this "logged in with a temporary profile" Error on my profile.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I fix this "logged in with a temporary profile" Error on my profile.: This had happened after I had updated the PC and logged back into my profile, it said something about syncing stuff and whatnot. How does one fix this issue? Do I have to create another account and move my files over to it or is there another way of doing this? submitted by...
  6. Is there any way to fix temporary profile on startup?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Is there any way to fix temporary profile on startup?: Hello everyone! After several times of restarting my PC to defrag my disk space my computer says I've logged in with a temporary profile. I've tried everything and I don't know what to do. Can anyone provide a solution? Any solution is greatly appreciated, thank you! EDIT:...
  7. Temporary profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Temporary profile: Hello All, My windows was reinstalled and I see the following message. "You are logged on with a temporary profile." I need to resolve this. Any guidance will be most appreciated....
  8. Temporary Profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Temporary Profile: My computer is stuck in a temporary profile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temporary-profile/e864ddb8-1bc3-4bd8-9f60-f419a5154c11
  9. Temporary profile error - the final fix

in Windows 10 Support
    Temporary profile error - the final fix: Okay, so this is probably the millionth thread I’ve made about my issue, but hopefully this is the last one. So, about three years ago — April of 2016 — my laptop (a Dell Inspiron N5050 that I got in 2012) had a temporary profile error. Perhaps it shut down incorrectly, but...
  10. temporary profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    temporary profile: I took the plunge and upgraded my computer with 6 gigs RAM and a dual core 3.0 athlon x64 cpu so I could install Win 10. Was running Win 7. Downloaded the ISO to a flash drive. Installed Win 10 ver.1703. Updated my drivers. All seemed to go well. I used it all day. Rebooted...