Windows 10: Temporary profile error - the final fix

Discus and support Temporary profile error - the final fix in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Okay, so this is probably the millionth thread I’ve made about my issue, but hopefully this is the last one. So, about three years ago — April of... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ooboh, Feb 24, 2019.

1. ooboh Win User

Temporary profile error - the final fix

Okay, so this is probably the millionth thread I’ve made about my issue, but hopefully this is the last one.

So, about three years ago — April of 2016 — my laptop (a Dell Inspiron N5050 that I got in 2012) had a temporary profile error. Perhaps it shut down incorrectly, but I’m not sure. Here’s where things get interesting: fast forward to July 31, 2016. I used a video tutorial to try to solve the profile error:

Fix Temporary Profile login Error on Windows 10 / 8 / 7 - YouTube

This was a mistake, because I fear it may have overwritten my user account, and all of my personal files are now gone forever. On top of that, system restore doesn't work, nor does it go back far enough for me to do anything. I am now accessing my laptop using a “half-baked” version. However, I do have a glimmer of hope. My username — where all of my personal files are located — is “obohokey”. All of the fonts I’ve downloaded since I’ve gotten the laptop in 2012 are still on the laptop. Furthermore, all downloads since the Temporary Profile Error go to “obohokey.obohokey-PC.001” instead of “obohokey.”

At this stage, I’ve tried doing a reset where I keep all my personal files. I’ve only gotten to 56% or so before my computer fails and it says that no changes were made. I don’t know why this is the case. Does anybody know?

I’m considering sending my laptop to my university’s tech desk to see if they can reset the laptop for me. Any ideas?

:)

ooboh, Feb 24, 2019
  2. lainey Win User

Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10  

I've followed your steps and there's no profile list. Am trying to fix for my sister. Brink please can you help

lainey, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Windows 10 temporary profile error?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are facing issue in editing some settings from a temporary profile. You need to login to your original (Administrator) profile to change those settings.

I would suggest you to change the account type to administrator, if it is not and see if it helps. Try the steps provided below to change the account type.

• Login with the temporary profile.
    • Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Control Panel from the list.
    • Select Large icons from the view by drop down menu.
    • Click on User Accounts.
    • Click on Change Account type.
    • Select Administrator radio button and click OK.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Temporary profile error - the final fix

Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10  

I came home today and had to log in to my desktop. When I did it said it was preparing Windows and I was taken to the temporary profile. I followed the tutorial to delete the profile folder path (step 9). At some point in the process, I confirmed that I could see my old files in C: \Users\BriggsDesktop. When I restarted, it went through the "We're glad you're here" screens. However it took me back to the desktop that looks just like the temporary profile one. I can no longer find all of my files. I tried doing a restore, but it did not complete successfully. Suggestions?

Justinbriggs, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Temporary profile error - the final fix

1. Temporary profile error - the final fix - Similar Threads - Temporary profile error

2. Temporary Profile problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Temporary Profile problems: After update 1903 I have been logged into a temporary profile. I do not think I am competent enough to do a 'regedit'. How can I get my own profile re-instated?...
  3. Temporary profile error - the final fix

in Windows 10 Support
    Temporary profile error - the final fix: Okay, so this is probably the millionth thread I’ve made about my issue, but hopefully this is the last one. So, about three years ago — April of 2016 — my laptop (a Dell Inspiron N5050 that I got in 2012) had a temporary profile error. Perhaps it shut down incorrectly, but...
  4. Signing in with Temporary Profile

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Signing in with Temporary Profile: I just purchased a Surface Laptop 2 and was working perfectly fine for the first week and now every time that I sign in it tells me there was a problem with logging me in and says I need to sign out and sign back in. When I do that I just continue to get the same message....
  5. Overwritten my profile documents while fixing temporary profile issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Overwritten my profile documents while fixing temporary profile issue: Hi, I had temporary profile issue after update. I used this guide (Youve been signed in with a temporary profile - Fix Tutorial | Windows 8 Help Forums) but probably I did something wrong in regedit. My profile was recreated in the same folder /users/ but all the old profile...
  6. Temporary profile problem?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Temporary profile problem?: Ok so I know how to fix the problem from looking on YouTube with directions as it's happened to me twice now but now the actual problem i'm having to ask here is regarding fixing my mom's name on the computer. After I finished fixing my name and restarted the computer which...
  7. temporary profile

temporary profile: I took the plunge and upgraded my computer with 6 gigs RAM and a dual core 3.0 athlon x64 cpu so I could install Win 10. Was running Win 7. Downloaded the ISO to a flash drive. Installed Win 10 ver.1703. Updated my drivers. All seemed to go well. I used it all day. Rebooted...
  8. You've been signed in with temporary profile error

You've been signed in with temporary profile error: I upgraded to windows 10 about a month ago, from windows 7 home edition (64 bit). I didn't have problems for a few weeks, everything worked correctly. I connected my user with my MS account and that worked as well. The problem started, when about 4 days ago i turned on...
  9. Intermittant Temporary profile

Intermittant Temporary profile: Hi, I am hoping someone can help. I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 around 2 months ago and generally it works fine. However, three times in that time when I boot up, it has told me I have been signed in to a temporary profile. When I reboot my machine, all is fine. I tried...
  10. Temporary Profile Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Temporary Profile Issue: Good Evening, My tower had a irregular power down yesterday, when i turned it on it went into a temporary profile. I have tried a system restore, scanning the drives for error. Everything i have tried has failed before completion. I am at my wits end honestly and don't...